Eliot Spitzer | New York | News

Report: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Linked to Prostitution Ring

New York Governor Eliot Spitzer has been linked to a prostitution ring, the NYT reports:

Spitzer"Gov. Eliot Spitzer has been caught on a federal wiretap arranging to meet with a high-priced prostitute at a Washington hotel last month, according to a person briefed on the federal investigation. The wiretap recording, made during an investigation of a prostitution ring called Emperors Club VIP, captured a man identified as Client 9 on a telephone call confirming plans to have a woman travel from New York to Washington, where he had reserved a room. The person briefed on the case identified Mr. Spitzer as Client 9. The governor learned that he had been implicated in the prostitution probe when a federal official contacted his staff last Friday, according to the person briefed on the case. The governor informed his top aides Sunday night and this morning of his involvement. He canceled his public events today and scheduled an announcement for this afternoon after inquiries from the Times."

Said Spitzer in a 3 pm statement: "I acted in a way that violated in my obligation to my family...I apologize first and most importantly to my family, and to the public, I promise better. I am disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected my expect I must dedicated some time to regain the trust of my family."

There were no details beyond the statement as to his future as governor, although Spitzer said he would "report back in short order"...

View Spitzer's statement AFTER THE JUMP...

If Spitzer were to resign, New York Lieutenant Governor David Paterson would become the state's 59th governor.
Politico: Meet David Paterson.
How New York succession works...

Spitzer Is Linked to Prostitution Ring [nyt]

Comments

1. This is a disaster for gay rights and gay marriage in New York! Spitzer will probably be forced to resign if these charges are true. This will set us back years..

Just when we were on the verge of changing the State Senate, this happens.

This is like Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky all over again. Why can't these intelligent men use their brains before they use their d**ks? This is actually worse than Monica Lewinsky because a crime was probably committed.

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 10, 2008 3:03:48 PM

2. I'm almost sensing a resignation over this...

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 10, 2008 3:03:55 PM

3. So Joe Bruno has finally got his payback.

Posted by: Roscoe | Mar 10, 2008 3:05:30 PM

4. Damn

Well this shouldn't hamper him in NY, but his chances at a cabinet position 08 is nixed.

He was on my short list for AG

Edwards
    Conyers
    Spitzer

Well, still holding out for either Edwards or Conyers though both with one as deputy AG is even beter.

A side bar, Prostittion shoud be legalized and TAXED!

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Mar 10, 2008 3:09:46 PM

5. That's going to be quite a party at Joe Bruno's house tonight. The only possible upside of this would be the ascent of the amazing David Paterson.

Posted by: Giovanni | Mar 10, 2008 3:11:48 PM

6. Why does he HAVE TO resign. Republicans don't resign when they get caught up in shit like this. No, he should simply be straight (no pun intended) with the people of New York. Maybe the professionals could do things for him that his wife couldn't. For God's sake--he's a hetero man. They can never stay faithful to their spouse's like us homos can.

Hell, Hillary and Barack will help him out. If Larry Craig didn't resign, why must Governor Spritzer...I mean, Spitzer.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 10, 2008 3:14:50 PM

7. Derrick

HERE HERE!!!!! AMEN!

Repubs don't resign till the voters practicaly drag them out by their ankles.

He should just go public

Voters can forgive alot if you actualy deliver on good government.

Besides, it is NY. Not the bible belt.

A tempest in a tea cup at most

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Mar 10, 2008 3:22:03 PM

8. I'm sorry, man, but the Democratic presidential candidates don't have the spine to defend him because they're weenies.

Barack wouldn't take a picture with Gavin Newsom because of same-sex marriage. Hillary abandoned Spitzer once already (over drivers' licenses for illegal immigrants). Do you honestly think Hillary and Barack will rise to the occassion?

A left-leaning leader with gravitas? You must be thinking Spain's Socialist president Jose Zapatero. Heh.

Posted by: John | Mar 10, 2008 3:25:25 PM

9. Who cares if he was seeing a hooker? Not me, for one. Why is our government wasting money on a prostitution sting? That's the real outrage here.

Posted by: scott | Mar 10, 2008 3:38:06 PM

10. I just don't get it. I'd have freaked his toes off for free. What's the point of paying for it?

Posted by: Princess Superstar | Mar 10, 2008 3:42:29 PM

11. Well let's just keep clear that while we may not agree, it is still illegal. Until the law changes, it is actually pretty relevant that he was breaking the law. Larry Craig WAS arrested. And while it might not mean he should resign, he cannot be forced to resign regardless. People resign by choice. He may be pressured to or asked to to not harm the party, but it is his choice until the voters have the chance to elect someone new.

Posted by: BANNE | Mar 10, 2008 3:47:00 PM

12. Sorry boys, but I think he has to resign. My complaint with the repugs when they get caught is the hypocricy. Well, we have hypocricy here too. As AG he prosecuted plenty of prostitution rings and went to the press to brag about it.

Hypocricy is the real career killer.

Posted by: Will | Mar 10, 2008 3:47:14 PM

13. Another one bites the dust.

Posted by: NowNow | Mar 10, 2008 3:49:46 PM

14. He couldn't help it, don't you understand? If he were a Christian Fundamentalist apologizing would work. They forgive each other for anything as long as you cry and pray over it. Bet Jimmy Swaggert still sees hookers. But Larry Craig still gets a hard on by just the smell of a public men's room.

Is there a Democratic Lt. Governor in New York? Just askin'--so much for loyalty, right?

Jimmyboyo: You had John Conyers on your list for Attorney General. I'll never forgive Conyers for bad-mouthing Jimmy Carter last year. I'll never respect him again. So much for blacks sticking together, hunh?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 10, 2008 3:53:53 PM

15. I hope he does the decent thing and remains in office.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Mar 10, 2008 3:57:04 PM

16. Derrick,

How ’bout an African-American, legally blind lieutenant governor?

Posted by: 24play | Mar 10, 2008 3:59:41 PM

17. Until Vitter resigns, no American politician need resign over a prostitution charge. The end.

Posted by: David | Mar 10, 2008 4:01:48 PM

18. As I write this Fox News is crucifying Eliot Spitzer for basically the same thing David Vitter did. Where was the live coverage by the "Fair and Balanced" station when Vitter was caught?

Posted by: Mark | Mar 10, 2008 4:10:01 PM

19. I like the man alot but he broke the law and must resign. There shouldn't be any double standard. Just because they (repub assholes) do it (remain in office) doesn't make it the right thing to do. Btw, I don't see how this will affect gay rights in NY or anywhere else.

Posted by: Jersey | Mar 10, 2008 4:11:00 PM

20. This is really distressing.

The issue here, at least in my mind, is the same as the issue I have with Republicans who do this sort of thing. It's the HYPOCRISY stupid! Spitzer, who I felt was a hero, was VERY aggressive in his prosecution of prostitution rings while he was Attorney General. He took great pride in calling press conferences to announce his latest take down of "disgusting" and "illegal" prostitution rings.

As much as I like him and as much as I realize that there are many people doing the same or worse as he has done, I'm not willing to give him a pass where I wouldn't give one to a Republican.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 10, 2008 4:11:45 PM

21. Thanks, 24PLAY:

I had no idea. Wow. I don't want to wish bad on any Democrat, but the idea of GOVERNOR DAVID PATTERSON of New York. Wow...with Deval Patrick right next door. And Barack in the White House. Oh, my, what is this country comin' to! A Melting Pot? or just a Tossed Salad?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 10, 2008 4:15:14 PM

22. Does anyone know the Lt. Governor's position on gay rights/marriage?

Should he become the governor he will be the first African-American governor in the state's history and, as far as I know, the first blind governor in American history.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 10, 2008 4:15:38 PM

23. It's not an issue of giving him a pass. Let him resign if he did wrong, but hold Republicans like Vitter to the same standard. That's not happening, and I don't see it happening when it comes to "straight" sex scandals.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 10, 2008 4:18:37 PM

24. Most of the Republicans caught with their hands in the cookie jar have resigned. Craig and Vitters didn't, but Craig isn't running again and is done this year and Vitters might just get the toss next election for him.

It's not just that he hired a high end prostitute folks, but he engaged in **interstate conspirosy to commit a crime**, thats a Fed charge, not some local prostitute charge. It carries 5 to 20 and a huge fine. If the Gov. had had the lady do him in New York, it would be basically a misdomeaner, fine and slap on the wrist. But he stupidly had her cross state lines to commit her illegal acts(and his).

Roscoe......Bruno may be gleeful, but he didn't have anything to do with the Gov. slipping his meat into the wrong hole. Guys like Spitzer usually are the cause of their own downfall, they are arrogant and believe the hype about themselves. This guy may have just screwed the pooch for a lot of people who trusted him and had hopes of an improving life with him as Gov.....Gays among those people. I for one am tired of ALL politicians who do these things and there should be zero tolerance for any deviation from a legal stand point.

Posted by: Joshua | Mar 10, 2008 4:21:47 PM

25. May he was just trying to get this illegal prostitute a drivers license. And to think she wasn't even from New York. How sad, not for him but for her.

Posted by: Joe | Mar 10, 2008 4:25:35 PM