Barack Obama | Democratic Party | Election 2008 | Hillary Clinton | Keith Olbermann | News

Anger and Apologies in Geraldine Ferraro's Wake

Keith Olbermann made a rare, searing attack on a Democrat last night, criticizing the Clinton campaign's handling of the Geraldine Ferraro comments. Below, Josh Marshall of Talking Points Memo on Ferraro's spin. And CNN's Jack Cafferty on Ferraro, before she stepped down yesterday.

Clinton apologized for Ferraro's comments last night in a speech to the National Newspaper Publishers Association: "I certainly do repudiate it and I regret deeply that it was said. Obviously she doesn't speak for the campaign, she doesn't speak for any of my positions, and she has resigned from being a member of my very large finance committee."

Clinton also apologized for remarks made by her husband after the South Carolina primary regarding Jesse Jackson's win in that state: "I want to put that in context. You know I am sorry if anyone was offended. It was certainly not meant in any way to be offensive," Hillary Clinton said. "We can be proud of both Jesse Jackson and Senator Obama. Anyone who has followed my husband's public life or my public life know very well where we have stood and what we have stood for and who we have stood with. Once one of us has the nomination there will be a great effort to unify the Democratic party and we will do so, because, remember I have a lot of supporters who have voted for me in very large numbers and I would expect them to support Senator Obama if he were the nominee."

Finally, she apologized for the government's response after Hurricane Katrina: "I've said it publicly, and I say it privately: I apologize, and I am embarrassed that our government so mistreated our fellow citizens ... It was a national disgrace."

Clinton Apologizes to Black Voters [ap]

Comments

1. Hill's campaigning techniques speak volumes about her lack of grace and her utter unwillingness to play nice. It's gotten ugly, and I am relieved Obama is sailing through to the nomination.

Posted by: jeff | Mar 13, 2008 10:08:32 AM

2. I'm so sick of this entire charade of a presidential campaign, and now it is looking more and more like the Democrats want a repeat of 1968. What fools. What utter fools.

Of course most will also ignore that this week the Senate is voting to keep huge tax breaks for the top 0.3% of wage earners in the United States.

Meanwhile

$1.56 for a euro (in 2004 $.75). $1,000 for an ounce of gold. $110 a barrel of oil. And the mysterious drop of unemployment in spite of a loss of jobs. Sure-the spin makes this all out as 'people that have left the job market' but we all know that is utter BS. Go ahead and look at the job openings right now. Look at what is out there. And then head to buy some groceries and try to remember the prices from even a year ago. Did you salary rise in accordance to these rises? I think not (unless you are of that 0.3%.)

The U.S. has hit the iceberg and all we can talk about is hookers and foolish politicians.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 13, 2008 10:21:17 AM

3. Too little, too late.
    Sorry hillary. This just looks like you read the polls and decided this was what the voters wanted.

Posted by: rick allen | Mar 13, 2008 10:31:31 AM

4. From NY Times article regarding FL and MI primaries:

“I know the Clinton campaign seems to want to make up rules as they go along on this issue,” Mr. Obama said. “We’ve simply said we’ll play by whatever rules are established — that’s what we did with Florida and Michigan at the outset. We were told that they wouldn’t count. Senator Clinton agreed that they wouldn’t count — until she thought maybe they should count.”

Ferraro, Florida, Fanning the flames of race. When will it end for Hillary?

Is she out of her mind to truly believe the Florida results from January were fair and should count?

I am so sickened by her machinations, rhetoric and politics-of-the-moment.

My hope (and it should be for all Obama supporters) is that he makes considerable in-roads to her presumed lead in PA. It would probably be the last nail in her coffin: Party elders Gore, Edwards, Richardson, et al. would (hopefully) grow some cohones and get her behind closed doors and tell her to fold her tent.

Posted by: NowItMatters | Mar 13, 2008 10:36:15 AM

5. Hillary is not stupid. She knows there is no mathematical way for her to win the nomination, and the Super Delegates would never overturn the will of the people who have voted, so she now is determined to make sure that Obama loses against McCain. There is no other way to explain this. She knows that if Obama were to become president, she would have to wait another 8 years before even getting a chance to run again, and by then her time would be done. But if he loses against McCain, then she can run again in 4 years as the candidate that "could have beaten McCain the first time". I never would have thought this badly about Hillary before, even donated to her campaign early last year, but now sadly all has changed.

Posted by: rob | Mar 13, 2008 10:36:40 AM

6. Mean, nasty, despicable, and stupid. Ferrarro insists on re-confirming her bigoted and imbecilic comments while painting herself as the victim. They play perfectly into HRC's politics of divisiveness. HRC's apology is far too little and far too late, given thirty years of similar experiences.

Ferrarro's comments are emblematic of how HRC has thoroughly mis-managed her staff and campaign. Remember Towleroadies: how they treat and what they say about and do to one minority group they also do to others. All they understand is raw power. We must take a page from their playbook and make them pay for their tawdry conduct, otherwise they will never change. Recall the old trope: if he cheats with you, he will cheat on you.

How much longer are we going to permit the Clintons to vacuum our pockets and throw us under the bus? They talk the talk (to our faces) but have never walked the walk with us when it matters.

Posted by: rudy | Mar 13, 2008 10:44:58 AM

7. How's the weather in your ghetto, Jack?

Posted by: 24play | Mar 13, 2008 11:00:54 AM

8. as an outsider watching all this go down, i think the american media is just ready to pounce on anyone/anything which is to the detriment of the country.

you don't want to hear about unfaithful politicians and bathroom stalls? then TELL your media.

also, the only people making this about gender and race are the hypersensitive voters getting stuck on gender and race. Forget about it for a second and listen.

you just know john mccain is sitting back deciding what colour to paint the white house bedroom.

oh, and LOL at 24Play!!

Posted by: Shirley Heezgay! | Mar 13, 2008 11:11:13 AM

9. Once again the anti-Hillary media is at it...give me a break.

Posted by: daveynyc | Mar 13, 2008 11:14:41 AM

10. Well, Dave (not Tampa), maybe the media just doesn't like her. Barack said she's likable enough, but that's just him. I mean, "likeable". The lickable? That's Barack, baby!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 13, 2008 11:21:54 AM

11. DEAR TOWLEROAD READERS,

I am terribly sorry to be off topic, but a YouTube video has come to my attention which is abusive towards gays.

The video features a young gay couple minding their own business when someone with a camera walks up to them, then proceeds to tease, taunt and humiliate them for being, in his word, "faggots."

It's videos like these that encourage bullying and intolerance toward not only gays but other minority groups so I urge you to please visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1dVlAnPIk4 (Gaymen terrorised) and (1) give the five hateful comments a thumbs-down then (2) flag the video as inappropriate. (For your security and privacy, do not leave any comments.)

I hope most of you will visit the Web page in order to show that spreading of hate will not be tolerated. Thanks.

Posted by: PC | Mar 13, 2008 11:23:26 AM

12. Can someone, anyone, start talking about some of the concrete plans they have for running the country for the next 4 years?

Election Day is 8 months away. The longer this back and forth goes on, the less amount of time a Democrat has to convince on-the-fence Republicans to cross over ensuring a Dem win. If McCain does it first, then Father Time is gonna be our next president.

Posted by: junior | Mar 13, 2008 11:33:46 AM

13. "Mean, nasty, despicable, and stupid imbecilic tawdry" Yeh, Rudy, that about covers your sermons from the mount of Obama, except for disingenuos and lying.

Obama first began rehearsing his blank screen upon which anyone can project whatever they want to believe about him nearly 20 yrs. ago when it took 19 ballots and hours and hours of debate before they accepted him as the compromise winner to head the Harvard Law Review.

He cheated his way to his first election to public office by simply disqualifying his opponents for the nomination before any vote.

He won that election and election to US Senate mostly as a result of his main opponents imploding in divorce details scandals [think "Seven of Nine" and her stories of her Repug husband taking her to sex clubs].

He was too busy campaigning for US Senate to take even a few seconds to sign his name as a cosponsor of Illinois' gay rights bill, yet has repeatedly said he was a CHIEF cosponsor and was responsible for passing it when in fact he was no longer in the Illinois House when it was voted on.

He's bragged to at least Iowa voters that he passed an Illinois bill regulating the nuclear industry when that bill was never voted on at all. If Sen. Clinton had told such a huge, easily disprovable lie the media would be burning her in effigy.

He spent thousands of dollars to put on a concert starring a vicious homohating minister/singer well-known in the South Carolina black community, refusing even when begged by gays black and white to disinvite the slug who's said that gays are trying "to kill our children." He has yet to denounce him as he has Louis Farrakhan because antiSemitism is more important to him than hating the gays.

Nowhere across 64-pages of his "Blueprint for Change-Barack Obama's Plan for America" can you find one syllable about gays. So one can only conclude that whatever he SAYS he has no plan for change for us. Maybe his second term?

When Sen. Clinton rose from the supposed political dead in New Hampshire he let the dogs out the very next morning led by the rabid Jesse Jackson, Jr. who snarled from MSNBC to South Carolina voters, and blacks everywhere, that Sen. Clinton didn't care about them.

A memo begins to circulate from Obama's South Carolina staff accusing the Clintons of being racist. An Anybody But Hillary/Obama Is The Messiah media machine picks it up, characterizes it as true, and drowns out the insistence by veteran civil rights activists that it isn't true and their condemnation of the Obama campaign for playing the race card. Note, despite Obamaroad's shameful claim, Sen. Clinton did NOT apologize for Pres. Clinton's remarks because there was nothing to apologize for. She merely and fairly said that she was sorry if anyone was offended.

Obama finally publicly acknowledges the Swift Boating of the Clintons as racists, praises their commitment to civil rights, saying that he wants his supporters to stop it and promising to speak out if anything like that happens again. Of course, he knows the smear has already worked and he has yet to condemn his campaign calling Sen. Clinton a "monster" or their lurid and hysterical e-mail dredging up mud about Monica and Whitewater and other buzzwords [though 70 million taxpayer dollars proved nothing], even accusing them of stealing from the White House.

Ferraro was stupid enough to say a truism—that a white man OR a woman of any color with so little beef in their resume would not have been taken as seriously as Obama has, would not have gotten the virtual free ride from the media while they continue with the nearly two-decade crucifixion of Sen. Clinton.

But just like they needed a weapon against her after New Hampshire, after she beat Obama yet again on Super Duper Tuesday after being declared politically dead again, the Obama campaign went for the jugular again with the hatchet that had worked so well before....."Ferraro is a racist [NOT] therefore Sen. Clinton is a racist [NOT] !!!!! Off with their heads!!!!"

Cheating, lying, homohater cuddling, hypocritical, race card playing Obama. What a guy!

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Mar 13, 2008 11:58:17 AM

14. Oh, Michael, please! Yes, yes, and John F. Kennedy's father bought him a presidential election. No, Obama aint no alter boy--we know that. But he wasn't a Goldwater Girl!(See, and I try not to bad mouth Ms Rodham)

Was Spitzer a alter boy, I wonder?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 13, 2008 12:10:07 PM

15. Ferrarro was right, this country is being run into the ground because black America has white America by the balls. If hite people even discuss racism black people call them racist.

Posted by: obama for dog catcher | Mar 13, 2008 12:10:47 PM

16. No OFDC, when bigots like you talk about race (or anything else), we call you assholes.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Mar 13, 2008 12:15:02 PM

17. It's true. A black man had me by the balls just the other day.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 13, 2008 12:17:30 PM

18. Gee Obama for DG, I didn't know I had as much leverage as a Black American living in White America. And I'm so going let every white person I run into know it from now on!

Posted by: banjiboi | Mar 13, 2008 12:27:13 PM

19. Gee Obama for DG, I didn't know I had as much leverage as a Black American living in White America. And I'm so going let every white person I run into know it from now on!

Posted by: banjiboi | Mar 13, 2008 12:28:33 PM

20. Michael Bedbad, Do you not realize that the more you blather on, the fewer Towleroadies take you even half seriously? Yes, we know that you have a blind-spot as big as HRC but darling, the scales are falling from the eyes of others, why do they stay attached so firmly to your political cornea. Support whomever you choose but love should not make you blind to obvious faults.

HRC has demonstrably and repeatedly failed to manage with even minimal competence those areas for which she is responsible, i.e., her marriage, health care reform, and the presidential campaign. Listen to Olbermann's editorial. He, like you, is a Billary supporter, yet he is discerning enough to realize that she has blundered miserably.

As for my "sermons," please point our where they have been posted. Even a cursory search of the threads on Towleroad will not reveal who I support in this coming election. What concerns me, having been priviledged to have served as advisor to several politicians and appointed officials, is that both HRC and McCain do not appear to have anyone who can talk honestly to them about their mistakes. I do not mean publicly, a staff should, indeed must, support their principal in public but, and this is perhaps even more critical for successful policy development and deployment, should also be able to close the door and speak honestly about perceived faults and missteps.

I have seen the candidates in action out of the public arena--I am far older than most Towleroadies--and am concerned that HRC, in particular, does not have anyone she respects who can talk to her "like a Dutch Uncle". She has far too many sycophants, such as you MB, that are far too willing to perform policy cunnilingus. You worship at the altar of the Cult of Hillary.

This is to her detriment. Were you more sincere and intelligent is your support for HRC, you would be far more critical of her than you reveal yourself to be in your voluminous rantings. Interposed 'NOT[s]' and the use of multiple exclamation points are a poor substitute for reasoned argument.

At this point in your logarrheac diatribe you appear to only be speaking to yourself. You have convinced yourself and are breathing your own rhetorical fumes. That is hardly likely to be a successful, or even beneficial, endeavor. Carry on.

Posted by: rudy | Mar 13, 2008 12:34:35 PM

21. Can we get a break from the Keith Olbermann diatribes? I generally agree with all of his politics, but his melodramatic, self-important tone, replete with ham-handed Shakespeare quotes, should best be kept to sportscasting. Total cheezball.

Posted by: jdp | Mar 13, 2008 12:52:34 PM

22. Dramatic or not, Keith Olbermann has been one of the few media pundits that has gotten to the heart of political matters and cut through all the bullshit, especially during the Bush administration.
    So if that's considered cheesy, then hand me another cracker, honey!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Mar 13, 2008 1:01:16 PM

23. I hear ya, Jack! It's unacceptable.

Just the other day when I was drinking from the "Gays Only" water fountain, I was thinking, "How can I get my picture on Towleroad?" Fortunately, some straights came along and hung me up from a tree. I'm sending my picture to Andy right now.

END STRAIGHT SUPREMACY! GAY POWER NOW!!!

Posted by: crispy | Mar 13, 2008 1:11:19 PM

24. You know, I am completely sick of this. This whole episode is a complete sack of crap. I am in complete agreement with:
    which does a good job of explaining this. The point is Geraldine made a innocent statement, you may disagree with what she said, but to continually pile-on is just ridiculous. Olbermann is over-the-top and this feigning of righteous indignation is EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE to me. To be blunt, this is just pissing me off about the Obama campaign, and Obama had better reign everyone in instead of feeding the fire otherwise this is going to cause a backlash. I am a HRC supporter, but was prepared to fully support Obama, but now I'm not so sure. I don't think I can stomach supporting this kind of hypocrisy. So, to all you Obama people, you keep saying your candidate is taking the high road, and that is why you like him. Well, I suggest you start practicing what you preach rather than this continual snipping - because it is a MAJOR turnoff. You should all be ashamed for such a vicious attack on someone who clearly did not intend for her remarks to be construed in such a manner. Completely, unequivocally disgraceful. Save your venom for someone who deserves it. Unbelievable.

Posted by: chad | Mar 13, 2008 1:18:44 PM

25. and one more point...
    Gary, comment #2 made an excellent point. I'm thinking along the same lines... here we are, the dollar at RECORD lows, OIL at RECORD highs, getting ready to nose dive into recession and all our great press corp can do is fan the flames about hookers and political gaffes. I think we are being purposely distracted, and as a country we are complete idiots, because we don't wake up and realize we are having the wool pulled over our eyes...

Posted by: Chad | Mar 13, 2008 1:32:57 PM