Kiss | News | Television

Birmingham Woman Calls 911 Over Two Guys Kissing in Public

Gaypda

Tonight on ABC's 20/20, they're doing another segment of "What Would You Do?"

I love this series. It's an ongoing ethical candid camera segment that reveals how people react in different social situations. Tonights show (at 10pm EST) is about how folks on "Main Street USA" react to the sight of gay PDA. They did the experiment in two locations — Verona, NJ, and Birmingham, AL.

One woman in Birmingham, Alabama apparently called 911 when she saw the two guys kissing:

Operator: "Birmingham Police operator 9283"

Caller: "We have a couple of men sitting out on the bench that have been kissing and drooling all over each other for the past hour or so. It's not against the law, right?"

Operator: "Not to the best of my knowledge it's not."

Caller: "So there's no complaint I could make or have?"

Operator: "I imagine you could complain if you like ma'am. We can always send an officer down there."

According to ABC, "They did. One of Birmingham's finest came to Five-Points and spoke with Kaolin and James. Though city officials and the police department signed off on ABC's social experiment, this officer was somehow not in the loop. The officer told our couple that the police dispatch received a call because the two of them were making out."

AFTER THE JUMP, a segment they did on domestic violence between interracial couples.

Comments

1. Bravo! But when are they going to address this ethical dilemma:

A hack, dumb as a box of rocks news reader promoted on one of the Big 3 networks solely because she's female and Latina clues together an outrageous special in which she ignores the documented facts to the contrary to claim that Matthew Shepard contributed to his own murder by making a pass at his drug-addled would-be robbers [tho he didnt'] and that his chief assailant couldn't possibly have had any homohate in his heart as he was smashing Matthew's skull like a pumpkin because he is Bi himself—even tho he denied it to her on camera—and that it, thus, in no way could have been a hate crime but just a robbery gone wrong. Only a few minutes of long interviews with Judy Shepard and the detective who investigated the case are shown, leaving their detailed objections to her premise on the proverbial cutting room floor.

The bitch? Elizabeth Vargas.
    The network? ABC.
    The show? "20/20"

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Apr 25, 2008 5:42:18 PM

2. Guess I'll have to watch to see how Verona, NJ did. Hopefully, better than the in-bred in Alabama.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Apr 25, 2008 5:52:30 PM

3. Come on! She loved it. Straight women LOVE guys kissing.

She probably complained after they cooled down a little faster, depriving her of her voyeuristic ogling.

Hell, I'd give her a show that would make her toes curl. And she wouldn't be calling 911 except for a respirator for the extreme palpitations and hot flashes.

Posted by: AaronJ | Apr 25, 2008 5:57:29 PM

4. ABC News, in a groundbreaking story, confirmed again that many people in the deep south are in fact homophobic!

Posted by: tb | Apr 25, 2008 6:05:01 PM

5. Cool experiment.

Sad on the lady homophobe

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Apr 25, 2008 6:18:01 PM

6. That woman who called 911 sounds like an idiot, but I also think the premise of the segment is pretty dumb for a couple of reasons:
    1) Do we really need a news program to waste its valuable time on the already-well-established fact that there is a lot of homophobia in the US? What's next from ABC--an in-depth expose revealing that water is wet? Why didn't they take the opportunity to do a piece about homophobia that tackles the problems that gay people really do face every day, instead of trying to trade one false, offensive stereotype about gay people for another false, offensive stereotype about southerners?
    2) Did ABC make any effort at all to gauge positive reactions to the couples kissing, or did they just observe the one dumb abuse of 911 and leave it at that? Personally, if I had seen those two men kissing in Birmingham, I probably would have smiled at them and then kept walking. It would have been bizarre and inappropriate for me to tap them on the shoulder and say something like "excuse me, young men; I observed you two kissing and I just wanted to register my approval and delight," even though that's what I would have been thinking.

Posted by: Thomasina | Apr 25, 2008 6:49:21 PM

7. Women rule!!

Posted by: damien | Apr 25, 2008 7:03:46 PM

8. seriously what an unkind woman......

Posted by: alan brickman | Apr 25, 2008 7:53:36 PM

9. Wow so This means I can call the police on some guy and girl making out? I mean wow, because the last thing i really dislike seeing is some str8 guy kissing his whoever she may be somewhere in front of me if people have a problem with me kissing my BF in public.

Posted by: Husky | Apr 25, 2008 11:02:12 PM

10. That bitch who called the police needs to get fucked and quit being so repressed, but then again, there's so much of that shit in the south, it's epidemic, along with everyone in other people's business.

I grew up down there, and believe me, the only thing that would help that region would be a big mushroom cloud ;0

Posted by: Chad | Apr 25, 2008 11:34:40 PM

11. It happens more often than you think, and not just in Alabama.

A friend who worked for the San Francisco Visitor and Convention Bureau once told me one of the most common complaints they get involves gay PDAs (homelessness is always number one).

Which proves once again that Americans are assholes. Of all the things that could "ruin" Bob and Ethel's vacation, they always choose to complain about: 1. poor people and 2. boys kissing.

Posted by: John | Apr 26, 2008 1:00:55 AM

12. I've always said that we will be truly free when we can engage in the same slobbering PDAs straight people engage in, anytime, anywhere in the world (where straight people can do it). Every time I see a straight couple making out obliviously in front of me, I want to tap their arrogant shoulders and say, "Hey, clueless assholes, do you know that if I did this, I could be killed?"

Maybe we should call 911 every time we see a het couple going at it for too long? The cops would be hoppin' round the clock.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 26, 2008 1:54:09 AM

13. This shows how homophobia is so widespread in the South that this kind of thing happens and is seen as acceptable. The woman, clearly, has some issues she needs to revolve, if she felt the need to call the cops over two men kissing. Either way, homophobic women are total hags, they don't have a gay best friend to make them look good and spend most of their time eating chips, getting fat and using curtains as wardrobe.

Posted by: Devon Fairchild | Apr 26, 2008 5:26:58 AM

14. What amazes me is that the Operator even entertained the idea of sending an Officer down there, never mind actually doing so. If I phoned 999 (in the UK) and complained about 2 guys kissing, I'd be roundly told to get off the phone and stop wasting police time..its practically a criminal offence to call 999 unless there is a real emergency because you are wasting a valuable resource at someone else's expense (like their death)..

Posted by: atheist | Apr 26, 2008 8:54:33 AM

15. It took THIS for y'all to realize that Americans are assholes? NOT the fact that 26 States in the last 6 years have enacted laws to OFFICIALLY discriminate against gay people? Honestly while the rest of the first world moves forward America is moving backwards. Party like it's 1977!

Posted by: Strepsi | Apr 26, 2008 10:12:14 AM

16. She probably calls 911 whenever she sees black people too.

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 26, 2008 10:57:58 AM

17. it's ooold

i saw it like 8 months ago

or did they repeat the same idea

Posted by: ivan | Apr 26, 2008 11:39:14 AM

18. "...Promoted on one of the Big 3 networks solely because she's female and Latina..."
    --Wow! It's nice to see a little racism and sexism coming from the gay community.

Posted by: noah | Apr 26, 2008 8:48:20 PM

19. More than what NOAH quoted, according to Michael Bedwell, she's also a bitch. Let's add misogyny to the mix. Bedwell, you must be so proud.

Posted by: nic | Apr 26, 2008 10:32:34 PM

20. I agree with ATHIEST the 911 operator should have not justified the idiotic "complaint" by sending an officer to the park.

Posted by: Timothy | Apr 27, 2008 6:48:38 AM

21. The woman who called 911 was probably turned on by the M/M action (like most straight females would've been, myself included) but she hadn't felt a tingle in her no-no area for so long that it scared her. Poor thing. I recommend a stiff drink, a little Xtube M/M hotness, and a hard, sweaty f**k

Posted by: YellowRose | Apr 27, 2008 1:34:42 PM

22. We should start a massive gorilla project where the gays start calling the police on straight couples making out in public.. give then a taste of their own medicine.

Posted by: bodega | Apr 27, 2008 7:44:00 PM

23. Why are gay man so quick to go after ANYTHING American and generalize an entie nation over some old lady in Alabama. Amazing..meanwhile, there's constant articles and refrences to how we're treated in other parts of the world (Try traveling to ANY Latin nation with your boyfriend...GO...try it...by all means and see the reception you are met with)...or Russia...how about the middle east? my boyfriends family is middle eastern and all told him they look forward to the day he gets AIDS and dies.Ever been to India? Botswana? Nigeria? I have...my job enables me to travel a lot and if you all think getting a dirty look from a few closed minded people from small towns in the U.S defines our country as a whole as evil "a**holes!" ...then thats your personal hatred for this country and I suggest you resolve that by doing some soul searching. Calling an entire group of people closed minded back up witha closed minded remark "Americans are all a**holes!" can anyone appreciate the irony there?
    TRUTH is...so long as we're being honest...most gay men loath this country...if they only realized the grass IS NOT greener on the other side of the fence(or pond)...

Posted by: Kyle L. | Apr 28, 2008 2:59:34 AM

24. One other comment...when people from other parts of the world are not only intolerant of homosexuality but find it punishable by stoning...some of you say "well it's a cultural issue. They'll eventually come around...it's O.K thats their culture"...when an American so much says "hey, I don't want homosexuality taught to my children in 4th grade"...sh*t hits the fan, DOWN WITH AMERICA, you all want to start riots and call everyone in the country an a-hole..GIMME A BREAK! Just say "I'm miserable living in this country but can't muster up the courage to leave so I'll stay here, being miserably and bashing the U.S with every fiber of my being"...if there's anything sad in all this, that mindset would be it.

Posted by: KYLE L. | Apr 28, 2008 3:06:00 AM

25. Kyle,

No, Americans are assholes. But to pretend that we're the only assholes on the planet is absurd. I've said as much many times before.

For example, Italy is extremely homophobic. Their prime minister calls his left-wing opponents "faggots." Can you imagine the outrage if Bush used such language?

They have self avowed neo-fascists in high ranking cabinet positions. What American cabinet secretary can survive being an "out and proud" Nazi?

No region in Italy gives legal recognition to same-sex relationships. Marriage, civil union, or domestic partnership is available in 12 American states, including the largest one (California, nearly 1/6th of the population).

Gay adoption and artificial insemination is forbidden across the board in Italy. This is only a problem in Utah, Mississippi, and Florida in the U.S. -- I think we'll live.

And they nominated an anti-gay, Vatican approved clown to serve on the EU's justice minister. As religious as Americans are, appointing an archbishop to be Attorney General might raise a few eyebrows.

And yet, their country totally gets away with it because (and I quote) "Italian men are cute." We have a lot of problems here, but that doesn't mean all anti-American sentiment is fair.

Posted by: John | Apr 28, 2008 6:37:17 PM