Advertising | Fashion Men | Gay Slurs | India | News | Underwear

BigGayDeal.com

Hanes Utilizing Offensive Tags to Sell Tagless Underwear

Hanesfaggotad

Via Joe.My.God comes this image of a new ad from Hanes, promoting their tagless underwear with the tagline "Because the World Gives You Enough Labels". The ad features a man dragging a stereotype- and slur-laden character. Joe reports that the ad was created by the Bombay division of McCann Erickson, so it's unlikely to appear in American markets.

With a little digging I was able to find two other ads in the campaign, via Trendhunter. They write: "In Fagg*t, you see same-sex kissing, debauchery, toys, bottles of wine and references to beauty: lipstick, nail polish and makeup. In Nigg*r, you see drugs, guns, jail cells, low-life jobs like cleaning toilets, and text about being HIV positive. In Pak! (a demeaning name for people from Pakistan), you see tanks, bullets, bombs and pigs (an anti-Islamic reference)."

Check out the other two ads AFTER THE JUMP. Effective, or just offensive?

N P

Hanes' "Lipstick" Campaign [joe.my.god]

Comments

1. Hanes feels your pain. Buy their nickers.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Apr 11, 2008 10:56:43 AM

2. Honestly, I think they are pretty damn amazing.

Posted by: Shaun | Apr 11, 2008 10:57:50 AM

3. Honestly, I think they are pretty damn amazing.

Posted by: Shaun | Apr 11, 2008 10:58:16 AM

4. I think they're beautiful and inspiring.

Posted by: Tom | Apr 11, 2008 11:02:38 AM

5. Well I like them, give you pause to think of all the baggage someone has to carry around. Though I am not sure how this helps sell underwear, it still makes a nice statement.

Posted by: kujhawker | Apr 11, 2008 11:04:24 AM

6. Great, now we have socially conscious underpants companies. Wooo. If they sold something that fit well and looked good, and wasn't trying so desperately to be "smart", they might actually sell some goods instead of risking being known as the faggot-nigger-paki-panties.

And for the record, you can imply such stereotypes without using precise words, but that's a whole other can of worms. Bottom line...Hanes would be absolutely out of its corporate board members' collective mind to risk such an incredibly stupid idea. I think it's a just hoax or someone's college junior year ad design project.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Apr 11, 2008 11:05:37 AM

7. India is the filthiest country in the world.To bathe and drink in a river were corpses are burned and dunk is about as disgusting as one can be.Imagine swimming and a rotten arm hits you in the face,uhg.Besides that indian skin color is king of yukky.It is not black,brown or white is so sickly purple.Base on all the above they have to be envious of everybody and have to lash out to make themselves feel a little better.Anybody that have called the help line of some companies and ended up being answer from India is like trying to decifer some animalistic mumbo jumbo.And at the end they are as helpful as a headache.

Posted by: Oscar | Apr 11, 2008 11:06:22 AM

8. That's not an ad. It's art. Just brilliant.

Posted by: Ken | Apr 11, 2008 11:06:50 AM

9. I do agree they are pretty damn amazing, but I wonder which publications or in what medium will they be shown?

Posted by: Brett | Apr 11, 2008 11:07:16 AM

10. Any kind of "big statement" that's trying to be made in this medium is diminished by the fact that ultimately, they're just trying to sell a product – and they think this might be the best way to do it.

Posted by: Scott B. | Apr 11, 2008 11:12:54 AM

11. Oscar, you should be ashamed of yourself. Go to your room.

Posted by: busytimmy | Apr 11, 2008 11:14:25 AM

12. Dear Oscar. You seem to have some anger issues, and they seem to be manifesting themselves as racism, classism, eliteism, and ignoramousism. Please seek therapy.

Posted by: A | Apr 11, 2008 11:16:52 AM

13. I'll stick to Fruit of the Loom. These don't inspire me as art or advertising.

Posted by: Marc Bloom | Apr 11, 2008 11:17:08 AM

14. love the concept, but i think they went overboard in picking such offensive/hot button words as the "labels" it would have been equally effective (though certainly not as shocking) to use some other label.

Posted by: Aaron | Apr 11, 2008 11:18:31 AM

15. it's basically craigslist rant and raves. it's what people say and think but are too afraid to say it to everyone. only in the right company or anonymously. there's nothing offensive about the truth!

Posted by: g | Apr 11, 2008 11:18:41 AM

16. it's basically craigslist rant and raves. it's what people say and think but are too afraid to say it to everyone. only in the right company or anonymously. there's nothing offensive about the truth!

Posted by: g | Apr 11, 2008 11:20:03 AM

17. eh

Posted by: davyenyc | Apr 11, 2008 11:21:55 AM

18. Are those dildos? Oh, and Oscar? You're a douchebag.

Posted by: Tweety | Apr 11, 2008 12:26:09 PM

19. As art only, I could respect it. As art that's selling sweatshop undergarments, I cannot.

Posted by: scientitian | Apr 11, 2008 12:32:53 PM

20. They're awesome as art! Don't make me want to run out and buy the underwear though...

So in answer to your question: I don't think they're "offensive" but don't really think they're "effective" either.

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Apr 11, 2008 1:07:20 PM

21. I was just going to say, "genius", but then i saw the last few comments - scientitian has it right and tweety is right about oscar...

Posted by: John | Apr 11, 2008 1:08:06 PM

22. why is a white dude carrying the nigger tag?

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 11, 2008 1:29:35 PM

23. Is that the Oscar Unacceptance Speech?

The ad is good but too irrelevant and if they are meant for India doesn't make a lot of sense either. The N-word and P-word for selling in India?

Posted by: SJ | Apr 11, 2008 1:29:50 PM

24. Andy, I think it's "Paki" not "Pak!"

And Ryan: Good point!

Posted by: David | Apr 11, 2008 1:33:47 PM

25. I'm not sure I'm on board with this. I wouldn't say I'm quite offended, but when I look at the above pic, I see something more drag-queen-Mardi-Gras than anything related to the word "Faggot".

Posted by: Zak | Apr 11, 2008 1:48:01 PM