Jeff Whitty | News | Ryan Philippe

Jay Leno Apologizes for Requesting Ryan Phillippe's Gayest Look

Jay Leno has apologized for remarks he made to Ryan Phillippe when Phillippe appeared on his show to promote the movie Stop-Loss. Leno mocked Phillippe's first role as a gay teen on One Life to Live before pointing at the camera and asking a visibly disturbed Phillippe to give it his "gayest look."

LenoSaid Leno in a statement: "In talking about Ryan's first role, I realize that what I said came out wrong. I certainly didn't mean any malice. I agree it was a dumb thing to say, and I apologize."

The incident prompted an angry letter from Avenue Q scribe Jeff Whitty, who wrangled with the late night host about his homophobic remarks during the Brokeback Mountain days, and inspired the creation of My Gayest Look, a website at which you can find dozens of pictorial messages for Jay Leno (including mine).

My Gayest Look [for jay leno]
Avenue Q Scribe Jeff Whitty Offers Jay Leno His 'Gayest Look' [tr]
Jay Leno Asks Ryan Phillippe to Give Camera His 'Gayest Look' [tr]

Comments

1. Maybe Jay Leno's gay jokes are covering up that he is in the closet. Let's see, a married man who has no children, and you never see his wife anywhere, with or without him. Hmmm, in fact, does anyone even know what his wife looks like? why des he keep her hidden away?

Posted by: could it be? | Apr 1, 2008 6:16:11 PM

2. Leno is a tool. Thanks, Andy, for reminding me why I go to sleep early.

Posted by: jno | Apr 1, 2008 6:18:51 PM

3. Did he apologize on the air? To the gay community and, more importantly, to Phillippe? If not, then who really cares? The "in kind" promise is the only kind that counts!

David B.

Posted by: David B. | Apr 1, 2008 6:36:22 PM

4. Andy, You are so cute. Marry me.

Posted by: Ken | Apr 1, 2008 6:45:32 PM

5. Convenient how he waited until the controversy was basically dead to issue this. Blowhard blowing hot air.

Could It Be, please don't say things like that. It makes me nauseous.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 1, 2008 7:04:37 PM

6. My pictorial message was among the many, also, and preserved on my blog. Maybe he'll think a little more when he goes for cheap fag laughs next time. If not, I'd be happy to send him a few even gayer looks. (I perfect them daily.)

P.S. Closeted? Of course anything's possible, but I doubt it. Some celebrity wives simply don't care for the limelight. And some people who make stupid remarks at the expense of gay people are actually, gasp, straight.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 1, 2008 7:05:39 PM

7. How did this get into Leno being closeted? Yes, what Leno did was offensive & no, I don't think he meant any malice & I'm happy he apologized. As for his wife, she stays in the background most of the time but she does use her position once in a while to bring attention to discrimination against women from other countries.

Posted by: scar2 | Apr 1, 2008 7:22:27 PM

8. Great post Andy. It was cool seeing how many different folks sent pics. Two of my faves were my fave gay boy bloggers, Dan Savage and an oh so cute Andy T.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 1, 2008 7:36:20 PM

9. I sent an email to NBC about this. Never did that before but I REALLY can't stand Jay and thought that it was the least I could do. I think calling him a douche bag did the trick. Although, an apology from him at this point is kind of mute.

Posted by: JR | Apr 1, 2008 7:36:38 PM

10. While I have not met Jay personally, we share a number of personal friends through the old-car hobby; and I've never heard anyone say that Jay isn't gracious and fair to everyone. I suspect the perception problem is that Jay Leno doesn't have creative control over the Tonight Show; he's just an employee who has to follow the script like the rest of the regular cast. The writers of the Tonight Show write the monologue and provide the interview hints, not Jay.

One proof is the decided-difference between the monologues during the strike and after the writers returned. Once the writers were back, so too was the seat-squirming gay-baiting. ...And it's been worse since the strike.

And the Tonight Show writers don't work for Jay Leno; they're NBC Network employees as is the rest of the production crew. That's a major reason why David Letterman could make a deal with the Writers Guild and the Tonight Show could-not. Letterman owns the independent production company that creates his show, Leno's just a (well-paid) NBC employee.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Apr 1, 2008 7:58:14 PM

11. Leno needs to be off the air. Is he the best America can come up with? Hell, no. I am sick of his homophobia comments. They will never stop.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Apr 1, 2008 8:01:02 PM

12. Andy so cute *sigh*

Posted by: daveynyc | Apr 1, 2008 8:22:07 PM

13. Jay's been married to his wife Mavis for decades. She's active in international women's rights organizations and has brunette hair. I don't think Jay's a closet case.. but I think there's little he won't do or say to 'entertain' the 'knuckle draggers' that prefer his kind of humor to Letterman's. He's been censured before for his homophobic comments and jokes, and several of his gay guests have obtained apologies for stuff he's said and done that offended and humiliated gays. But he's always returned to the formulaic gay put downs that his audience 'eats up.' I'd like to know when he apologized.. and if it was issued during a show's taping. I'm betting it was said only to someone connected to NBC..who demanded it.. so it could be put in a press release that was issued only to get some heat taken off the network.

Posted by: JHK | Apr 1, 2008 8:27:12 PM

14. i, for one, don't want Leno on our team. he's just not funny. if this gaffe is attributed to his writers, then they aren't funny as well.

ugh. get rid of him. oh i forgot, they are.

Posted by: hughman | Apr 1, 2008 9:26:04 PM

15. Just finished looking over as many of the photos as I could. They're not gonna do much for our reputation for fabulousness or creativity. Most of them look more petulant than anything else, and petulance has a pathetic odor about it. Maybe we can't cut Leno's balls off, but if we can't do better than this, it were better we did nothing.

Posted by: Stuart | Apr 1, 2008 10:17:04 PM

16. Just finished looking over as many of the photos as I could. They're not gonna do much for our reputation for fabulousness or creativity. Most of them look more petulant than anything else, and petulance has a pathetic odor about it. Maybe we can't cut Leno's balls off, but if we can't do better than this, it were better we did nothing.

Posted by: Stuart | Apr 1, 2008 10:18:36 PM

17. Whether he does it on purpose or not, he has a history of saying stuff like this.

Maybe he'll make an effort not to think before he speaks from now on. I'll remain optimistic until he gives me a reason not to feel that way.

Posted by: Joshua | Apr 1, 2008 10:34:24 PM

18. I posted mine as soon as Andy posted the link of the site.

Any other readers of this blog also post their own?

Posted by: Butter | Apr 1, 2008 11:10:34 PM

19. GOD DAMN, Andy Towle is sexy!
    I want to have, like, 10,000 of your babies.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 1, 2008 11:32:34 PM

20. funny...I luv this show...A lot of friends of mine on " Tallmeet.com "love it.and we just put these vids on that site .u can join us

Posted by: kaly | Apr 2, 2008 12:05:41 AM

21. Jay's fifteen minutes are almost up. Were it not for NBC, his fourteen wouldn't have lasted so long. Good riddance, when his contract is up. Apology - not accepted.

Posted by: mista | Apr 2, 2008 3:37:09 AM

22. That's actually a good point, Ted B.
    And I'd still much rather live in a world where a TV personality makes a minor derogatory comment like this and then apologizes, as opposed to a world where the word gay is never uttered at all on television. I prefer homophobes who laugh and crack jokes to the serious, you could cut-the-tension-with-a-knife variety. Less violence.

Posted by: chicky | Apr 2, 2008 6:39:08 AM

23. Leno = tool.

But the real news here is that I want to see a picture of Andy so I could place a face to the brilliant mind - and perhaps stand in line to propose, make baby offers, etc.

Posted by: banjiboi | Apr 2, 2008 9:32:05 AM

24. Good point Ted B., and I am glad Jay made a statement. This proves that one person CAN make a difference - Jeff Whittey is my HERO of the week. And Andy Towle, THANK YOU for being the only fully-rounded gay news site. Please keep up the great work! Don't give up your blog for supermodelling!

Posted by: Strepsi | Apr 2, 2008 9:34:04 AM

25. Okay. Saw a picture of Andy.

Pactum factum.