Film | News | Television

Land of the Lost: Return of the Sleestaks

Sleestaks

I was a total sucker for Land of the Lost and its really bad effects when I was a kid (although at the time I thought they were totally amazing), so I'm interested to see what they'll do with the remake. Universal has just released the first image of the Sleestaks from the upcoming film (above).

Old_sleestaksUSA Today writes: "Director Brad Silberling (Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events) says he fought to keep the human shape of the Sleestak from Sid & Marty Krofft's original production (right), and not give into the urge to render them as spindly computerized beings. In the '70s TV show, they were guys in lime-green pajamas — and looked it. The Sleestak are much sleeker now, but the film is largely a comedy, so the guy-in-a-suit look has its charms, Silberling says. 'There is a sense of humor that I loved from the original show that can only come from an actor trying to negotiate the suit. If it became CG, they'd be too perfect. For the Sleestak to remain in people's memories, it tells you that it was about who was in the suit.' One difference: Instead of toting crossbows, the Sleestak draw quills from their spines and fire them like arrows. Marty Krofft says nostalgia is a major part of the movie's appeal: 'I think they'll cheer when they see the Sleestaks.'

AFTER THE JUMP, the TV show's opening credits...

Comments

1. Daddy! Do something!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Love it, and glad to hear it sounds like it is going to be kind of campy. Used to be kind of scared of the Sleestaks when I watched this (hey, I was like 9 years old!) despite their asthmatic wheezing. How many Saturday morning kids shows today have monsters that are openly trying to kill the protagonists?

Posted by: PDX Guy | Apr 29, 2008 11:00:36 AM

2. Love the head statue in the background.

Posted by: Scott B. | Apr 29, 2008 11:01:39 AM

3. This show made me gay, well, had a hand in it. My BF from junior high and I would watch it together, reenacte scene's and then make out. Damn you liberal Hollywood!

Posted by: davefromtampa | Apr 29, 2008 11:20:07 AM

4. I loved "Land of the Lost" too (really, anything from Sid and Marty Krofft). But this remake is going to star Will Ferrell, and they're going for all-out comedy. It has "Bewitched" written all over it. Do not want.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 29, 2008 11:35:11 AM

5. Sa-Ree-Sa-Ta-Ka!!! I'm so happy they did not "update" the Sleestak.

Posted by: Gavin Elster | Apr 29, 2008 11:40:49 AM

6. LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Apr 29, 2008 12:53:40 PM

7. OMG. I used to watch it when I was a kid in Brazil, and loved it. I can't wait to see what the movie is gonna look like. It better be really camp.

Posted by: Made In Brazil | Apr 29, 2008 1:04:20 PM

8. OMG! OMG! OMG! My favorite Saturday morning tv show on film! I cannot wait to see this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 29, 2008 1:16:53 PM

9. That opening song, as I know I am being tested here, was the second opening after the father was sent home through the portal and the uncle showed up. I liked the original because the song was easier to remember and I still sing it to people when I go into "annoying mode".

Posted by: john | Apr 29, 2008 1:39:41 PM

10. I can't believe nobody is mentioning HOW HOT both the dad and the son on that show were..THEY were the ones who made me gay. Years later, a friend told me that he was picked up by one of them on his way home from a gay bar in West Hollywood. HOT!

Posted by: SleeStak | Apr 29, 2008 2:05:01 PM

11. 1) This is so weird. My friends and I have been using Sleestak to describe people lately i.e. Vadge etc. And now a movie. Just saying.

2) NO NO NO Will Farrell. NO. No. Icky. It's going to be bad. He will single handedly destroy anything good about it.

3) Sad.

Posted by: Br!on | Apr 29, 2008 4:19:07 PM

12. Thirty years later I still wake up in the middle of the night and wonder if a Sleestak is under my bed and just waiting to grab my leg when I get out of bed.

Posted by: Tofer | Apr 29, 2008 5:55:50 PM

13. I have mixed feelings about this movie because I loved the original so much, and hate the idea of someone screwing with a good thing. But reading this makes me feel much better because it sounds like there is a high level of respect happening - as there ought to be! LOTL provided so many thrills & chills for me as a kid. You can't help but to have great affection for everything including the Sleestaks!

Posted by: Marie | Apr 29, 2008 6:16:24 PM

14. This movie is dead on arrival at my house. Will Farrel is the death touch. We cannot abide the man and he ruins everything he's in.
    What a shame.

Posted by: Joshua | Apr 29, 2008 8:43:30 PM

15. Looks awesome! Glad they didn't change how they look. A little worried about the "comedy" aspect of it, but that is one cool image!

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Apr 30, 2008 3:38:58 AM

16. How about a remake of the Ruth Buzzi-Jim Nabors kid's show "Lost Saucer," or better yet "Sigmund and the Sea Monsters"?

Posted by: qjersey | Apr 30, 2008 7:40:50 AM

17. They brought this show back for a while on Nickelodeon and it had killer graphics and a kick ass theme song. Livin' in the Land of the Lost!

Posted by: icebox | Apr 30, 2008 10:46:37 AM

18. omg, I didn't know the original US series had such a "joyful" and happy tune to it. We had something slightly cooler over here. But this is really fun since it doesn't match with the footage
    thanks for showing this!!

Posted by: crsin | Apr 30, 2008 12:46:44 PM