Annie Leibovitz | Disney | Michael Phelps | News | Swimming

BigGayDeal.com

Michael Phelps: The Big Merman

Phelpsmerman

Annie Leibovitz recently shot Julianne Moore for the latest portrait in the Disney Dream Portrait Series as The Little Mermaid. But more importantly, she had Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps play the part of a Merman. Now that's the movie I wanted to see.

Phelps1

See the portrait AFTER THE JUMP...

Phelps3

Comments

1. Julianne Moore. Seriously?

Posted by: Critic | Apr 24, 2008 4:04:30 PM

2. Nice. And I don't usually care for fish.

Posted by: Michael W. | Apr 24, 2008 4:04:53 PM

3. julianne moore is perfection. don't mess with her.

Posted by: ian | Apr 24, 2008 4:15:09 PM

4. Can we really consider these freakin' ads "photos"? Looks more like a CGI still from a movie.

Posted by: scientitian | Apr 24, 2008 4:19:58 PM

5. Can we seriously discuss how frickin talented Julianne Moore is!?!?! I know this is a "hot" Michael Phelps post, but that woman is amazing. I just saw an early screening of Savage Grace: acting power house! Ok, I've gushed enough.

Posted by: BD | Apr 24, 2008 4:23:24 PM

6. I think it's Annie Leibovitz, with a v, not a w.

Posted by: chris | Apr 24, 2008 4:32:08 PM

7. "Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty."

Posted by: jm | Apr 24, 2008 4:36:00 PM

8. Speaking of Julianne. The trailer for her new film "Saving Grace" is up and looks promising.

Infidelity. Homo lust. Betrayal. Sexy boys. Fantastic wardrobe. Threesomes. Incest. Murder.

I'm so there.

Posted by: 24play | Apr 24, 2008 4:43:45 PM

9. Michael Phelps has a nice body, but I do not find the least bit attractive. He has a butterface.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Apr 24, 2008 4:50:59 PM

10. MP is amazin', AL not so much

Posted by: sb | Apr 24, 2008 5:20:51 PM

11. This whole Disney series is the least interesting work that Annie has ever produced.

Posted by: Rock | Apr 24, 2008 5:23:42 PM

12. Merman? Can he do "Rose's Turn" in those fins?

And the Julianne Moore movie is "Savage Grace."

Seriously.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 24, 2008 5:29:32 PM

13. I would have hoped for a frontal of Phelps, but I guess Moore is the focus of the ad. To each their own, he is totally hot to me.

Posted by: David | Apr 24, 2008 5:41:56 PM

14. Starting her, starting now, honey everthings.. Oh, it doesn't mean he wants to be Ethel Merman, just a merMan. Nevermind.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Apr 24, 2008 5:48:24 PM

15. How can one even tell that is Phelps? (in the final portrait.) I swear I wouldn't have known if it wasn't explicitly mentioned to me. What a waste of his err.. talent?

Posted by: Hykal | Apr 24, 2008 8:27:52 PM

16. Leibovitz went from a fairly edgy interesting and sometimes provocative photographer to a hack.

Posted by: ggreen | Apr 24, 2008 8:59:27 PM

17. What do Juli (an acting legend btw) and Michael Phelps have in common? And as BD suggested, this is hardly even a "photograph". Did Julianne really sit on a rock underwater while her photo was taken as Phelps swam past? I doubt it...

Posted by: Glenn | Apr 24, 2008 11:13:13 PM

18. This is not so much as a photograph as it is advertising. With digital technology the wave of the future, you would be surprised how much composite work goes into plenty of advertisements and photographs. Try and enjoy it for what it is - Annie's take on The Little Mermaid.

Nobody seemed to bitch when Tine Fey played Tinkerbell at a tiny scale. The ads are meant to capture the essence and magic of the Disney animation. Relax and enjoy the image or flip the page.

Posted by: Dan | Apr 24, 2008 11:47:24 PM

19. Quite a catch.

Posted by: anon | Apr 24, 2008 11:48:46 PM

20. I like it better when Annie takes Photographs

Posted by: Cassanda | Apr 25, 2008 5:14:27 AM

21. OK, I've had my Omega 3 for the day.

Posted by: voet | Apr 25, 2008 9:04:13 AM

22. I don't like the series either but they will put the names of the people in the photograph somewhere on the ad...

JM...is a living angel...she works out at my gym and is ALWAYS nice to everyone, unlike another personality that I will not mention...ONE in particular that was locked in a "PANIC room"..she should have stayed in there..I did not mention the NAME!!

Cheers....

TC

Posted by: TC | Apr 26, 2008 12:25:18 AM

23. Andy, can you post those before-&-after the airbrush pics of Phelps modeling the new Speedo suit that is so controversial?

Posted by: marcus | Apr 26, 2008 1:40:45 AM