News | Oprah | Thomas Beatie | Transgender

Morning Joe Hosts Disgusted by 'Pregnant Dude' Thomas Beatie

Pregnant

I thought Oprah handled the story of pregnant transgender man Thomas Beatie with respect yesterday. Not everybody's so accepting of Beatie, however, and plenty of people are openly threatened by him.

Like David Letterman, who called Beatie an "androgynous freak show" in his Top Ten the other night, the hosts of MSNBC's Morning Joe spent a few minutes expressing their nausea. Take a look at how Willie Geist, Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough air their disgust about Oprah "legitimizing this" in this morning's 'News You Can't Use':

Says Scarborough: "I'm not gonna look at this. Tell me when it's over. I'm not looking. We don't want the facts. I can't handle the facts."

Says Brzezinski: "I don't want to know the deal. I don't want to hear. I'm gonna be sick. I'm gonna be sick. I am upset. That was not only stupid and useless, but quite frankly, disgusting."

Brzezinski asked who the father is, and Scarborough responds: "The parrot at the pet shop...A former aide of Jim McGreevey. Are the McGreevey's involved in this in any way?"

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Pathetic. SHow them a rape or murder or planes crashing and they LOVE it. But a transgender and they "can't look"? They should all be FIRED. BOYCOTT MSNBC. Pathetic.

Posted by: Strepsi | Apr 4, 2008 9:47:29 AM

2. Scarborough is that newscritter with the teeny tiny mouth, right?

Posted by: Ulrich | Apr 4, 2008 9:52:14 AM

3. Why's everyone getting their panties in a wad about this?! Seriously. It ain't your kid, it ain't your family.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 4, 2008 10:01:58 AM

4. Sounds like MSNBC has some real losers on morning joe.

Posted by: Marc | Apr 4, 2008 10:03:54 AM

5. Mika is such trash, and Joe Scarborough is just crap.

Posted by: Gary | Apr 4, 2008 10:04:32 AM

6. So much for news objectivity. We sooo need a governance process for "news" people that compromise impartiality and professionalism. This steps into Jerry Springer territory

Posted by: BL | Apr 4, 2008 10:07:58 AM

7. i would understand (though wouldn't tolerate) if the news anchors didn't want this baby to be born if they were concerned about possible ridicule because of the mother (which is blatantly displayed by these anchors), but let's be real. this is a baby. the baby is going to be born healthy. the baby is going to be born with a completely different perspective because of the impact of this excitingly new birth.

instead, the anchors are disgusted by reality and refuse to even look at reality. it just goes to show that many high-profile journalists have become so ego-centric and narrow-minded that they can only believe the realities they create with their news stories.

this is a real baby, who will have a hard life because of the mother, and ridicule like this before the baby is even born doesn't help matters.

we try to pretend that we'll live in a post racial world with obama or that we'll live in a post sexist world with clinton...but it's clear that we're still a disgustingly prejudiced country.

they just want to have a baby. it just makes me really sad.

you want to know what news didn't really matter? new kids on the today show. this story above is real.

Posted by: Ian | Apr 4, 2008 10:08:52 AM

8. These 'newspeople' sound idiotic. Sure the occurrence is unusual, but who cares? No one is getting hurt.

Posted by: Rhea | Apr 4, 2008 10:11:55 AM

9. You have it right BL. I have been most surprised at the confusing blog posts on the gay sites, mostly supportive, but riddled with the negative from the LGBT community too.

Posted by: Rikard | Apr 4, 2008 10:17:00 AM

10. Well, there's definitely two groups of "uncomfortable" people. One group that is just weirded out by something so new and, of course, bizarre from a typical male perspective. That would be me, but just a little.

I mean, I get it - he WAS a woman, with all the plumbing inside. Then did the surgery, etc, to be male. But, I guess, the womb is still intact? Female hormones, temporarily?
    Regardless, I get the logic.

But, in raw terms, I'd bet most guys would read "man is pregnant, has baby" and freak out a bit. Just cause it's so foreign a concept. Once you understand the actual biology (if I guessed at all correctly), you realize, OK, THAT's why.

Then there's the other type of guys that you're pointing out: the ones who deride the whole thing outright and descend into poopie talk. For "professionals" that's pretty sad.

Posted by: atari_age | Apr 4, 2008 10:23:19 AM

11. Well, pontificating assholes, if you DON'T WANT TO WATCH IT, WHY ARE YOU MAKING IT NEWS ON YOUR MSNBC SHOW?

I have ZERO respect for any Cable News. What bullshit.

Instead of making it into a circus sideshow, why not just pass on covering the story at all? Rise above the tabloid sensationalism. Jesus! It's a DAYTIME TALK SHOW they are moralizing over! This is like looking at a Jerry Springer show and saying "Urgent news about brawling trailer trash!".

Holy fuck!

Rad

Posted by: Rad | Apr 4, 2008 10:24:53 AM

12. "We don't want the facts. I can't handle the facts." They pretty much sum themselves up. Maybe they should go hide under their beds, poor things. Very professional.

And, on a purely physical level, Thomas Beatie is far more beautiful than most of the fugly hosts who are suddenly so squeamish.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 4, 2008 10:26:31 AM

13. Well, I guess I'm a bigot because it disgusts me too, and I freaking love Mika Bryasrsauhfriudshfs for her stance on the Paris Hilton story a while back.

Beatie's ultimately allowed to do whatever he /she wants, but I don't find it acceptable and I think it's extremely counterproductive to the movement for LGBT equality; but as Rhea said, I guess it doesn't hurt me personally, so whatever.

Posted by: David | Apr 4, 2008 10:36:46 AM

14. Calling anyone "disgusting" or a "freakshow" is completely out of line. We should all have more empathy for other human beings.

With that said, the more I hear about Thomas Beatie, the more and more problems I have with his situation. I wonder how many of you commenters rallying around his cause actually watched the Oprah show yesterday?

Thomas told Oprah that the explanation for his becoming transgendered was an absentee mother and overbearing father. He suggested that it was environmental, which seems contrary to current thinking behind the origins of at least homosexuality. Unfortunately, I don't know what's commonly believed to cause transgenderism. But I assume most transgendered individuals support that notion that biological factors play a significant role.

Secondly, when Thomas and his wife learned that their baby was healthy, they were very clearly surprised. This suggests to me that they weren't sure and possibly even expected problems. They took a risk in an unknown area of medicine, and fortunately it paid off. So far.

Finally, Thomas is finishing a book. Naturally. I'm not buying the "we wanted to tell our story our way" bit for one second. They have a unique situation with a lot of public interest, and they appear to be exploiting it.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 4, 2008 10:40:27 AM

15. I'm with David, I don't like this but am ultimately not personally affected.

I still think that "pregnant man" is the absolute definition of "freakshow" and I stand behind Letterman calling a spade a spade.

Posted by: Dan B | Apr 4, 2008 10:42:59 AM

16. I watched the show. I am surprised that Oprah put this on her show. I would say it's news you can't use. I mean come on, he was born a woman....women can have babies.

But, this morning show completely disrespected the LGBT community. Especially when Joe Scarborough brought the McGreevey's into the story. It's obvious that Joe Scarborough is insenssitive to the LGBT community. He was visibly disgusted by this story. He without a doubt hates Gays.

Well, he disgusts me and I hate him.

Posted by: NotThatJoe | Apr 4, 2008 10:52:30 AM

17. That reporting job was grotesque. I never feel compelled to e-mail into TV program hosts, but that one got my response. The Leno and Letterman thing can be chalked up to "so-called" funny guys trying any angle they can to be funny, but this trio are supposed to be TV news journalists.

Sickening.

Posted by: Mike Hines | Apr 4, 2008 10:53:46 AM

18. Who are these people? Are they journalists? Sad excuses, if they are. And what does McGreevey have to do with this? Is he the gay punchline to everything now?

Maybe its the John Waters fan in me, but I would have loved to see one of them actually vomit. The fact that this makes them so uncomfortable that they'd make complete asses out of themselves on live television makes me a little happy.

Posted by: ridwah | Apr 4, 2008 10:55:22 AM

19. For the gay people who are signing on with calling a pregnant man the ultimate freakshow, guess what another ultimate freak show is? Two men putting their penises into each other's assholes. Of course, that's not my perspective, but from the side of people who think a pregnant man is inconceivable, the same thing could and would and has been said about homosexuality. It's not "right." I don't think the pregnant man is devoid of ulterior motives or above any criticism, but this pregnancy doesn't bother me at all. I'm a lot more sympathetic to transgender issues than I am to transgenderphobic complaints about them.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Apr 4, 2008 10:58:33 AM

20. I really don't like that the T is in LGB. I don't think mutilating your body and loving people of the same sex, are the same thing.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 4, 2008 11:01:38 AM

21. My comments above are aimed at the unprofessional news coverage, not the unusual situation. I can set the whole transgender fact aside. I see no difference between this and in vitro fertilization. My concern is for the child and the possible risk introduced by Thomas' testosterone supplements, even though they have returned to normal levels. It's new territory and this couple may be in for a very difficult time. Even still, this is no different than couples proceeding into pregnancy with known hereditary risks.

Posted by: BL | Apr 4, 2008 11:03:09 AM

22. They're acting like third graders. Hey wait, isn't that the normal republican menality?

ASSHOLES & BIGOTS

And we let them get away with it.

Posted by: Bobby | Apr 4, 2008 11:04:01 AM

23. I can barely tolerate "Morning Joe"..I usually switch back and forth between them and CNN...but after this fiasco...I will NO LONGER watch MJ...they showed a LACK OF MATURITY THAT WAS APPALLING!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Apr 4, 2008 11:07:14 AM

24. I saw this couple on Oprah yesterday, and I have absolutely no doubt that this child is being born into a loving home, with responsible and caring parents. What else is needed?

Posted by: acorlando | Apr 4, 2008 11:18:31 AM

25. The fact that they said this doesn't surprise me. Those newscaster people have been idiots from Day One. What annoys me is that people are all "this is disgusting" "I feel bad for the child."

Um, let's look at the facts. 1) He was born a woman and still has woman parts and can now have kids. Big deal.

2) Despite working this angle for money, book deal, etc. [I don't blame them, times is hard and if you can make some money, work what you got], he is still in a committed relationship with a woman who will join him in raising the child. Two loving parents, that sounds horrible.

3) In 5 years when the kid goes to school, we will have all forgotten about this and to the outside world the little boy and girl will have one mommy and one daddy (who used to be a woman but who's gonna know) and no one's gonna be the wiser. The kid will be better than fine.

People need to stop expecting the world to be black and white and open your eyes to the complexities of the human experience. And if you're gay poo-pooing this, shame on you!

Posted by: junior | Apr 4, 2008 11:21:35 AM