Crime | Gay Slurs | News | Tennessee | Vandalism

BigGayDeal.com

Anti-Gay Attacks on Rural Tennessee Man Continue

Tenn1

You may remember the threats against McMinnville, Tennessee resident Neal Anthony I posted about beginning in April of 2007. At that time, Anthony's property had been the target of a paintball attack committed by three teens who said they did it because Anthony is gay. The paintball incident preceded by days an incident in which graffiti that said "all gays go to hell" and "fags deserve to die" was tagged on the sides of buildings on the property. Then, a month later, another graffiti incident.

Tenn2In June, the graffiti tagging continued, this time with death threats against Anthony.

So Anthony bought $10,000 of surveillance equipment and spent $80,000 fixing up the home, he says. But the attacks continue:

"Vandals sprayed and splattered hate-filled words on his property Friday morning. Anthony said it's because of his sexuality. 'I'm not out there in my yard running naked, or being with my partner doing all these sex acts or anything like that,' said Anthony. Virtually every square foot of the property is within camera range, but this spray paint assault went undetected. The vandals cut the lines to Anthony's cameras, security lights, landscape lights and even severed power to the main house and his phone line. Anthony said this is the ninth assault on his property and he fears the attack might escalate from personal possessions to people. The suspected vandals also spray painted 'Dorothy's in Hell' referring to Neal's mother, who passed away in December."

Tenn3The Tennessee Equality Project has stepped in to assist. It was reported that they had also stepped in to help over the last incident, along with the ACLU. It's unclear what transpired at that point, but hopefully they can do some good this time.

The sheriff's office meanwhile, doesn't appear to have an interest in Anthony's problems. Meanwhile, Anthony pleads: “People need to know what’s going on up here in Warren County. I need help. I need for this to stop. . .I’m living in fear of my life.”

Repeat Hate Crime Victim Seeks Relief [newschannel 5] (VIDEO)
GAY HATE [out and about]

Previously
Threats Against Rural Gay Tennessee Man Continue [tr]
Anti-gay Threats Against Rural Tennessee Man Continue [tr]
Tennessee Teens Charged with Hate Crime for Vandalism [tr]

Comments

1. honey, you need to get the hell out of there... fast!

Posted by: the queen | May 27, 2008 5:42:42 PM

2. I don't think you spent your surveillance money wisely by using visible cameras and electrical cables. look into undetectable long distance hi-def cameras and hidden motion detectors and hidden pressure sensitive detectors that are professionally installed. And don't rule out moving and leaving. Is staying there worth your life or limbs ? Gays get killed and victimized somewhere everyday. Without the involvement, help and assistance of your local law enforcement agencies, you stand little chance of catching or stopping the people that are terrorizing you.

Posted by: JK | May 27, 2008 5:58:16 PM

3. I would recommend guard dogs as a much cheaper option. The money spent could also have been used for fencing.

Posted by: anon | May 27, 2008 6:13:54 PM

4. I say buy a gun. I guess I have a rural up bringing. It’s the south, it must be pretty easy to get permit to care a concealed weapon. I would not live in fear. Let those homophobes live in fear when they trespass on to his property.

Posted by: Brian | May 27, 2008 6:25:05 PM

5. That sucks to have to live in Christian country and be the constant target of their compassion.

Posted by: Brian | May 27, 2008 6:26:08 PM

6. Its not just your home it is your homestead there is a difference. Even I as a pacifist would show some one how to have sex with themselves before I gave up my homestead.

This is a job for the Gay Mafia but apparently none exists in Tennessee.

Posted by: MRev. Kenneth White, Jnr. | May 27, 2008 6:47:38 PM

7. This is one instance where I'm on the side of the NRA. Get a gun and exercise your castle doctrine rights. Depending on your state's definitions of castle doctrine, if someone is attacking your property and you fear for your own life, you may have total impunity to protect yourself with deadly force.

Of course, if you kill god's warriors, the Tennessee sheriff might suddenly start showing an interest in your situation. And probably not in a fair, balanced or just way.

Posted by: Jake | May 27, 2008 6:54:49 PM

8. Get the frig out of Dodge, man. The 80K you wasted on surveillance equipment could have been better spent as downpayment on a new house in a decidedly more open-minded rural community out there in the rest of the States. I'm pretty sure that they do exist, don't they? Else there wouldn't be an RFD magazine ... or has that gone out of business?

Posted by: matt | May 27, 2008 7:07:35 PM

9. GET OUT NOW!!! Don't spend $80k on a town that does not want you. I am beginning to cry foul here. McMinnville is my home town. I have been gone for 25 years, thank God, but I have not seen this level of violence. Yes it is a small town. Yes it is rural and redneck, but not to this point. I have been posting in support of Neil until now when I am questioning why him? Why now? Why has it not stopped? I know McMinnville, my family are still there and even this seems a little out there for the town. Somehow, I think we are only getting part of the story. Not sure which part, but not all of the story just the same. Something is just not right here.

Posted by: RB | May 27, 2008 7:38:22 PM

10. The Short Mountain Radical Faeries sanctuary is not very far from McMinnville. Maybe folks there could come help out... or he could seek refuge there.

Posted by: Hephaestion | May 27, 2008 7:52:33 PM

11. I agree with Matt. Take your money - and your life and leave. Then get some real estate agent to handle the sale.

I just hope that every gay person in the state takes note of Neil's plight - and will take their money, education, experience, talent - and life - and leave the mess behind.

Life is way too short to put up with this kind of hooey.

PS- I live very rurally in NE Texas. House has a perimeter field fence with two large dogs. And yes, both of the dogs have large, flashy, Donny Osmonde teeth and one of the dogs can jump that fence. :)Oh...I do own a gun.

Posted by: Mark | May 27, 2008 9:09:04 PM

12. Is it legal to protect your property with landmines?

;^)

Posted by: lodenmuse | May 27, 2008 9:27:12 PM

13. He shouldn't have to leave. He shouldn't have to spend all that money on personal security. He shouldn't have to plead for assistance because the police won't help him. He shouldn't have to buy a guy and shoot these people.

But I guess it's all coming down to it.

I just met a lesbian couple that moved her to RI from TN because of shit like this. They vacationed up here once and I'm happy to say they saw that not all of this country is filled with homophobic assholes. That's not to say RI doesn't have its share... but up here, you spray paint on our property we'll track you down and beat the living shit out of you.

Sorry Neal.

Posted by: Rob (lrdarystar) | May 27, 2008 10:58:55 PM

14. Sad to see so much concern about terrorism abroad but not even an eyebrow raised when it happens to American citizens on their own property in their hometown.

Posted by: James | May 28, 2008 2:50:05 AM

15. Just proves why hate crimes laws are totally unnecessary.

The police treat all crimes alike. Obviously they're dealing with this very successfully.

Posted by: Kevinvt | May 28, 2008 5:55:59 AM

16. I agree with several other readers -- I would get a gun and shoot these creatures dead. And then I would bury the bodies so no one would find them. Period. When your life in danger -- and in this case it really is -- it's appropriate. FYI, if you don't shoot them dead, these bigots will just sue poor Neal for damages and they'll win. If he bought guard dogs, and the dogs wounded them, again, he'd be sued and some bigot rural judge would convict him.

Posted by: paulie | May 28, 2008 6:34:27 AM

17. I'm a pacifist too....but I agree. Get a gun and kill these fucking lowlife for trespassing. There's no excuse for this sort of behavior and it won't stop until someone is hurt, maimed, or killed.

Posted by: Tex... | May 28, 2008 7:17:40 AM

18. Neal,

This is a tough situation. I totally agree you shouldn't have to leave your house. There is a strong sense of being "run out of town on a rail" here, and not in a good way.

I would say a tall fence, razor wire at the top, and some large dogs would help deter these idiots. But if you feel threatened and the sheriff's office refuses to investigate, perhaps it's time to pick up and move for your own safety.

You may also want to consult a lawyer concerning possible suing the sherriff's office for not investigating the incidents thoroughly. Maybe you can bankrupt the town.

Posted by: Darren | May 28, 2008 8:21:53 AM

19. What I'd like to know is where are all the sympathetic neighbors? Does anyone in the area honestly believe that this kind of behavior should be condoned? Does anyone remember the Nazis and the painting of anti-Semitic epithets on Jewish businesses and homes in Germany and elsewhere? Apparently tactics such as these go 'unnoticed' by 'God fearing' neighbors, even in today's supposedly less fascist American society. I was just visiting in Iowa, which is also a rural, Christian state, but I believe the majority of neighbors surrounding where I was visiting would not condone such outlandish activities. Shame on wherever this man lives and the nearby communities!

Posted by: jimmy | May 28, 2008 8:33:27 AM

20. Well, I'm NOT a pacifist but I think Neal should sell the farm, move to a more tolerant place, and live openly and without fear for himself and his partner. Then we all should go down to this shit-hole town in Tennessee en mass and burn the fucking place to the ground!!!!

Posted by: JerzeeMike | May 28, 2008 8:36:56 AM

21. I love they spelled "Dorothy" wrong

Posted by: Mike | May 28, 2008 10:09:04 AM

22. It seems most of the commenters missed the fact that that land has been family land since 1851...People in the South see property as something besides just an asset. It is their heritage. I think he should make a "Federal case" out of all this. With the knuckedraggers that he is dealing with, some RESPONSIBLE law enforcement can step in and protect him, since the locals continue to look the other way.
    My personal protection is 3 big dogs, (and a 40 cal Baretta) Dogs are the best alarm there is. Mike :The Dorthy on the side if the building is is mother's name, not the one from Oz.. ;>)

Posted by: chuckfll | May 28, 2008 10:55:12 AM

23. this really pisses me off. you should not have to move, and i hope you dont. you need to stand up for yourself and show them you arent some sissy they think you are. Buy a gun, get a dog, and take a self defense class. Maybe start some strength training too. We shouldnt have to live this way, but its life. good luck.

Posted by: jason | May 28, 2008 12:10:33 PM

24. this really pisses me off. you should not have to move, and i hope you dont. you need to stand up for yourself and show them you arent some sissy they think you are. Buy a gun, get a dog, and take a self defense class. Maybe start some strength training too. We shouldnt have to live this way, but its life. good luck.

Posted by: jason | May 28, 2008 12:13:01 PM

25. Get a gun and use it. I think it would be fun to sit up nights with night vision googles and take pot shots at the little cowardly shits. Make sure to get your " No Trespassing" signs up and go to town.

Posted by: Vi agara | May 31, 2008 8:35:31 PM