Deaths | Film | Jane Fonda | News

BigGayDeal.com

Barbarella's Pygar is Dead

Pygar

The actor John Phillip Law, who played the blind angel Pygar in Barbarella, has died at the age of 70 in Los Angeles.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. John Phillip Law...reminds me of going to the movies in the 1960s. He was in Otto Preminger's "Hurry Sundown" with Fonda, Faye Dunaway, Michael Caine, Diahann Caroll...wasn't a great movie, but they were all young then...and so was I.

If you love handsome blonds, then you'll love John Phillip Law, JOHNNY LANE or CHURCHILL-Y or whatever.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 16, 2008 10:32:09 AM

2. HOW IS THIS NEWS AT ALL?

Posted by: Bale | May 16, 2008 10:40:20 AM

3. Bale, I recommend you watch Barbarella. If you have any sense of humor or an imagination, you'll understand.

Posted by: Mark | May 16, 2008 10:47:30 AM

4. Wasn't he also the object of desire for Rod Steiger in the gay-themed 1968 movie 'The Sergeant'?

Posted by: Sasha | May 16, 2008 10:58:41 AM

5. the angel is love...

Posted by: alguien | May 16, 2008 11:37:16 AM

6. Law was jaw-droppingly gorgeoues and terribly sweet. His house on Miller Drive in L.A. was quite the scene in the late 60's during the making of "Skidoo." My boyfriend Bill was crashing in his basement and got to know the whole crowd -- which included Donayale Luna and Nico. Law was going with Barbara Parkins at the time, and she helped Bill recover from a bad acid trip. Now if that isn't the ultimate 60's experience I don't kno what is.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 16, 2008 12:13:00 PM

7. Yeah, you're right, SASHA. For a while I guess they thought he could be another Robert Redford, Dirk Bogard, or George Peppard. To me, he was more interesting than those Hollywood pretty guys... on the screen, that is. He was more like Terrance Stamp--kinda' brooding with all kinds of psychological turmoil going on inside his head...dangerous & sexy Trade.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 16, 2008 12:15:56 PM

8. And let's not forget Diabolik and Sinbad as a few more of Law's cinematic heroes. Certainly one of the most beautiful men to grace the screen. Rest in Peace, sir.

Posted by: ichabod | May 16, 2008 12:32:20 PM

9. John Law dead at 70.

I can recall when he was just a young actor emerging on the scene. If I may quote the great singer Peggy Lee . . . "Is That All There Is?"

Posted by: westcoastkid | May 16, 2008 12:59:27 PM

10. Pygar was so pretty :(

Posted by: Alex | May 16, 2008 1:07:22 PM

11. Ichabod,

Thank you for reminding me of Diabolik.

I love that movie!

Posted by: Alex | May 16, 2008 1:09:08 PM

12. ah, yes. i remember mr. law when i was an up and coming, soon to be a major homosexual. loved the angel outfit, loved his name, loved him. R.I.P. Pygar.

Posted by: nic | May 16, 2008 4:02:38 PM