David Beckham | Fashion Men | News | Television

British Comic Aspires to be the Plus-Size David Beckham

James_corden

British comic James Corden (he stars in the BAFTA-winning sitcom Gavin and Stacey) posed in the UK's Heat magazine, spoofing a couple of iconic male beefcake shots.

See his version of Herb Ritts' classic image "Fred with Tires," which in Corden's case would be "Fred with Spare Tires," AFTER THE JUMP...

James_corden_2

Comments

1. Finally some truth in advertising

Posted by: Charles | May 23, 2008 10:20:00 AM

2. You see, this is why prostitution is a valid profession and an essential industry.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 23, 2008 10:38:54 AM

3. For a majority of guys, the originals have the hotter guys but a minority of us, James is the preferred hottie!!!! I would love to see more of James any day

Posted by: Mark from Chicago | May 23, 2008 11:20:29 AM

4. Mark,

are you actually saying that you would prefer the midnight company of James (above) rather than the Italian dancer kid in the thread just below this one? Well, Mark, you must truly believe that depth of character and inner beauty are more important attributes than physical male beauty. Unless, you actually believe that James is sexually beautiful! Oh, my Lord.

Chicago folks must be different--y'all see beauty in the most unusual places...must be the Richard Daley effect.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 23, 2008 11:32:01 AM

5. Hey Derrick, is everyone in Philly as shallow as you? Get yourself a burger--or a frickin' cheeseteak. Oh, your Lord in deed.

Posted by: ANON IN SO CAL | May 23, 2008 11:45:56 AM

6. By the way, James Corden is the guy who kissed Daniel Radcliffe at that awards show a few months ago. Also, Derrick, it's not just a lot of gay dudes who find James Corden hot (that Italian stripper-dancer does nothing for me). The British tabloids are linking him romantically to Lily Allen, although it's more likely that they're just BFFs.

Posted by: Sloan | May 23, 2008 11:53:26 AM

7. Seriously, that Italian stripper makes me want to hurl. Andy, can we please up the quotient of foxy husky fellows?

Posted by: Graham | May 23, 2008 12:11:06 PM

8. Hey, ANON IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA,

let's trade locations. You take Philly with our cheese steak eaters. I'll take Southern Cal with all your handsome YOUNG studs trying to get into the movies.

If I'm going to fantasize, honey, I'm going to go for the gusto! Arrivederci!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 23, 2008 12:21:53 PM

9. I kind of stumbled here by way of a link but Sloan is right. I'd totally go for James over Beckham.

Posted by: NotAGuy | May 23, 2008 12:23:20 PM

10. Totally hot! I know I get turned on by an increased risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes.

Posted by: crispy | May 23, 2008 12:35:14 PM

11. Um...A slightly fitter version of James would work for me, I gotta admit! The whole gramma shape is not doing it for me at this time...

Posted by: Shabaka | May 23, 2008 12:39:16 PM

12. God, I remember just staring at that Herb Ritts photo endlessly in high school.

Speaking of unattainable bodies, has anyone seen the cover of this month's Genre (which I don't subscribe to, but they keep sending to me anyway because of my gay zip code)? The guy has a ridiculously perfect body, to the point that I suspect Photoshop, but his face has this bizarre sneer that is disturbing and very unattractive.

So I turned the magazine upside down and for the first time saw that Absolut ad with a ruler where every inch marking is "8" and the text says, "In an Absolut World..." Very clever gay ad, I thought.

Posted by: Paul R | May 23, 2008 12:53:23 PM

13. Derrick:

You don't have to be attracted to James, but you shock and dismay that anyone finds us fat people attractive is disappointing. And somewhat bigoted.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | May 23, 2008 1:03:00 PM

14. These are great photos. I love them. Shows how silly the originals actually are.

Posted by: Joe G. | May 23, 2008 1:08:59 PM

15. I love it! After all, you know Becks was airbrushed within an inch of his life, anyway. Gimme a man with some meat on those bones!

Posted by: Pinky Bear | May 23, 2008 1:15:22 PM

16. OMG, those photos are disgusting. As someone who works out almost daily, is in great shape and prefer my men the same way, I find those pictures quite gross. I can't believe anyone gets turned on by them, but then again, there are people who have sex with dead bodies, so I'll believe anything.

I know there are people who actually can't help being fat, but today, with as many drugs as there are, psychological help, surgeries, etc., there really isn't any excuse not to look good. C'mon, who doesn't want to wear Dior Homme? And you certainly can't if you're a tub of lard! Shallow? maybe, but I happen to believe you CAN have it all.

Posted by: Chad | May 23, 2008 1:25:30 PM

17. Landon:

The fact that you find this thread and my remarks serious is disappointing. And somewhat silly.

Do you believe the creators of the photos with James (whatever) were really making some serious statement about how shallow many of us can be about ideals of physical beauty? It's possible, but unlikely. He's a comedian, aint he? The photos were made to make people laugh.

And I wasn't shocked or dismayed that some of you found James attractive. This "bigot" doesn't take such shit seriously.

Wonder did y'all speak up for Kathy Bates in her nude scene stepping into the jacuzzi with Jack Nicholson? No.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 23, 2008 1:37:47 PM

18. Being a bit overweight is one thing, but James looks like a beached whale.
    Thank god for clothes as camouflage!

Posted by: carter | May 23, 2008 1:44:33 PM

19. Derrick:

How is the following not an expression of shock and dismay:

"Unless, you actually believe that James is sexually beautiful! Oh, my Lord."

I have certainly spoken to people who have called Bates "disgusting" in my presence. I don't find any kind of bigotry cute and funny. Not racism, not homophobia, not misogyny, not anti-fat bigotry.

Saying that fat people can only get laid by hiring prostitutes is a nasty, bigoted remark, and certainly inappropriate in someone who is so concerned about the judgments other people make based on the way people look. It's not as nasty as calling us "beached whales" or thanking God that we are usually clothed, but it certainly displays a type of bias which is much more common and much more damaging in the gay community than racism.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | May 23, 2008 2:09:41 PM

20. These photos are for comedic effect, so some of these comments are a bit silly. Derrick, you really opened a can of worms.

Now, from the world of irony, my very heavy ex was only interested in gym bunnies. It was his particularly mountain to climb.

Posted by: anon | May 23, 2008 2:28:58 PM

21. Landon:

"shock and dismay" NO! Tongue in cheek. Fat people gotta' right to love and be loved too.

You equate chubby prejudice in the gay community to racism...said it may be a greater problem. Well, then, just like racism that prejudice against fat in the gay world aint going no where.

From the statues of Ancient Greece to the wooden figurines from African cultures to contemporary photo images of David Beckham and Mario Lopez, our cultures: Western, African, most Asian (that I know of) have admired masculine beauty that is youthful and muscular.

There are many of us who do not see great beauty in the mirror. Hell, you sure aint gonna' see me on no damn beach in a swimsuit any time soon--probably never again, because I'm realistic about what folks think is pretty. The visual artists who created those photos, and the comic artist who posed for them, knew exactly what the public's reaction would be: laughter.

This does not mean that there aren't people who appreciate heavy men or very thin men. Love whoever the hell you want to.

It is callous, stupid and cruel to deliberately hurt heavy folks' feelings, but WHY, oh WHY would one want to subject one's self to such ridicule by posing half naked when you know you got enough waistline to fit 3 men?

Some people work very hard to get the kind of bodies we see on Beckham, Lopez, Reggie Bush, Marcus Patrick, Channing Tatum, etc. THey work hard to achieve what they look like, and their accomplishment gives pleasure to many of us. They are walking works of art.

Now, I don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings, and I don't want mine hurt. That's why if I don't loose some of this flab around my middle, I will never have the GUTS to be seen anywhere without clothes-- for any reason! As Mammy said to Miss Scarlett, "...it aint fittin'...it just aint fittin'."

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 23, 2008 2:52:19 PM

22. And another thing: my not-as-clever-as-I-thought comment about "prostitutes" was prompted by the second photograph--the one with James holding the tires. Do you really think that person in that photo is making themselves look attractive to anyone for a possible caring relationship? Fuck no! Absolute "john" material-- the kind looking for discount prices. Hell, they made James look like the the kinda' junkyard bastards who say, " I aint never votin' for Obama!"

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 23, 2008 3:25:06 PM

23. The comments above from Derrick and Chad place a huge spotlight on the ignorant, dysmorphic, self-hating body issues the "gay community" has become synonymous with. My favorite part is Chad's justification: everyone wants to be skinny so they can wear Dior! Wait, and Dior doesn't make clothes above little boy sizes because...

Andy, if you're reading this, take note-- you have the opportunity to change attitudes in the pictures that you post. We don't have to be trapped in a feedback loop of body-fascist homogeneity.

Posted by: Graham | May 23, 2008 3:25:19 PM

24. DERRICK:

Your comments were cruel and hurtful, whether you intended them to be or not. And you keep it up! Now fat people are not only unattractive, but racists who would never vote for Obama. Note that you praise
    Obama for being skinny with depressing regularity as well.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | May 23, 2008 3:39:16 PM

25. "...dysmorphic"? Speak Anglish, man! Sounds like something out of "Aliens".

Well, I guess Michelangelo was ignorant, DISMORPHIC, and self-hating too...well, he was a homo though.

"body facists" WTF? Well, we may be facists, but we aint gonna' start throwin' hefty guys into no concentration camps.

Derrick and Chad....oh, please. Derrick and Chad and 90% of the population of the Earth.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 23, 2008 3:39:49 PM