Did Bravo Exec Out Sam Champion or Just Champion’s Manners?

A post at Gawker alleges that Bravo exec Andy Cohen outed ABC weatherman Sam Champion in a blog post about his weekend in the Hamptons.

ChampionCohen wrote: “The lunch went until cocktail time and on my way home I stopped by a store opening in East Hampton. Kelly Ripa and Marc Consuelos were the ‘hosts’ of the party, but the store is owned by Sam Champion’s boyfriend. Neither of the Champions seemed to be around for the first 90 minutes of their own party, and so the topic of conversation inside the party became: If you are the host of a party (and not the ‘host’) and your name is not ‘Madonna’, is it appropriate to make an ‘entrance’ or be there from the start? People seemed to be split on the etiquette.”

Back in 2005, an article in the Advocate described Champion as openly gay, and though Gawker describes Champion as keeping his sexuality “hushed” somehow I doubt the revelation would spawn even a cloudburst of controversy.

related
A Very Gay New Year’s Eve Preview [tr]

Comments

1. John in Manhattan says

Sam Champion was never closeted. He’s hosted dozens of gay fundraisers and is out and about in gay social circles. I’ve never heard him speak of his personal relationships but he’s no Anderson Cooper who deliberately attempts to throw off the lavender scent.

2. Alex says

This is such a non-story….
    My partner and I have seen him numerous times in South Beach and in the Pines..usually with the same man, whom we call “Julio.”

3. says

not to be a high-and-mighty-openly-gay gay, but is anyone else sick of gay celebs being able to flit about the world doing what they want (or WHO they want) while keeping things so hush-hush it causes a stir if anything comes up?

i’m not saying he needs to giggle with robin about boys on GMA every day or anything, but he is obviously attempting to keep things quiet or there wouldn’t be anything to stir.

4. says

5. qjersey says

It’s been widely reported that staffers at NBC have been gay baiting ABC by referring to Good Morning America as “Gay Morning America” most likely because of Sam…AND Robin.

6. says

Well Alan, not all of us have the luxury of partying with closet-gays in the Hamptons. At this point ANYTHING would be something.

I watch GMA off and on and have seen several attempts by Champion to allude to his love of women… and I have yet to see any article (besides above) or exposure with any mention of him being gay.

I guess I am young and idealistic, I feel that the more public types and celebs that come out and are themselves the better for all of us.

7. JerzeeMike says

Kostar, honey, no one means to jump down your throat but as many of us in NYC know Sam is as out as out can be and he does indeed host many, many events for the LGBT community. Going on television and acting the gay sidekick is crass and beneath Sam’s dignity. He has his life and lives it openly and honestly. Don’t judge anyone until you walk in their shoes.