ABBA | Film | News

Mamma Mia: Dominic Cooper

Mammamia

Entertainment Tonight recently ran a preview of this summer's forthcoming Mamma Mia film and even though it looks like it has the potential to be a trainwreck it's got a few things going for it right off the bat — ABBA, Meryl Streep singing, and the tasty Dominic Cooper (above).

Check out the preview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. A trainwreck? I should hope so. Looks fun!

Posted by: Alan | May 14, 2008 5:39:51 PM

2. I can't wait!

Posted by: Frank | May 14, 2008 5:59:30 PM

3. Dominic Cooper?! SOLD!!!! That man just exudes sex. I loved the musical and can't wait to see the movie.

P.S. Check out Dominic in History Boys on Netflix, guys. Great movie!!

Posted by: JerzeeMike | May 14, 2008 6:03:47 PM

4. He's beefed up a lot since 'History Boys,' which I wished I'd seen on stage. Movie wasn't too bad though.

Posted by: Ron | May 14, 2008 6:15:04 PM

5. "After one whole quart of brandy
    Like a daisy, I'm awake
    With no Bromo-Seltzer handy
    I don't even shake
    Men are not a new sensation
    I've done pretty well I think
    But this half-pint imitation
    Put me on the blink
    I'm wild again, beguiled again
    A simpering, whimpering child again
    Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - am I
    Couldn't sleep and wouldn't sleep
    When love came and told me, I shouldn't sleep
    Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - am I
    Lost my heart, but what of it
    He is cold I agree
    He can laugh, but I love it
    Although the laugh's on me
    I'll sing to him, each spring to him
    And long, for the day when I'll cling to him
    Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - am I
    He's a fool and don't I know it
    But a fool can have his charms
    I'm in love and don't I show it
    Like a babe in arms
    Love's the same old sad sensation
    Lately I've not slept a wink
    Since this half-pint imitation
    Put me on the blink
    I've sinned a lot, I'm mean a lot
    But I'm like sweet seventeen a lot
    Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - am I
    I'll sing to him, each spring to him
    And worship the trousers that cling to him
    Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - am I
    When he talks, he is seeking
    Words to get off his chest
    Horizontally speaking, he's at his very best
    Vexed again, perplexed again
    Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - am I
    Wise at last, my eyes at last,
    Are cutting you down to your size at last
    Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - no more
    Burned a lot, but learned a lot
    And now you are broke, so you earned a lot
    Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - no more
    Couldn't eat, was dispeptic
    Life was so hard to bear
    Now my heart's antiseptic
    Since you moved out of there
    Romance, finis.
    Your chance, finis.
    Those ants that invaded my pants, finis.
    Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - no more."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 14, 2008 6:48:17 PM

6. The play sucked, I could not believe how nuts the crowd was going for the curtain call. Then again CATS was one of the longest running shows ever.

When I saw that Meryl Streep was going to be in it I said I'd give it a view, she can read the phone book and I'd watch.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 14, 2008 7:23:10 PM

7. A trainweck ??? This movie is the N°2 pre-sold summer movie in Europe right now (first one : Indiana Jones). I predict it will be Meryl's 2nd biggest hit, right behind "The Devil wears Prada" which raised 320 millions dollars worldwile. Wanna bet?

Posted by: Samuel | May 14, 2008 8:18:41 PM

8. by "trainwreck" I think he means a cinematic disaster, not a box office bomb. Im sure it's going to be huge. Whether or not it will be actually good or anything more than camp is another question.

Posted by: mike | May 14, 2008 9:53:58 PM

9. Trainwreck? I didn't see anything bad about it.

Posted by: Jeff NYC | May 14, 2008 10:38:10 PM

10. Countless ABBA songs? Meryl Streep singing 'Dancing Queen'? That's a 'trainwreck' I'll be happy to be a ticket for!! Can't wait!

Posted by: Danmac | May 14, 2008 10:45:21 PM

11. You are right Jeff--I'll board that train any day!

Posted by: gatorbait8503 | May 14, 2008 11:41:17 PM

12. You are right Jeff--I'll board that train any day!

Posted by: gatorbait8503 | May 14, 2008 11:42:51 PM

13. Can't wait to watch this trainwreck! It'll be a bad movie that everyone loves just like it's a bad stage show that everyone goes nuts for. Nonetheless, it'll be a blast!

Posted by: kyle | May 14, 2008 11:47:12 PM

14. There is nothing remotely gay about Mama Mia. Camp maybe, gay no. We in the gay community need to get over this fixation with camp. Camp is not the definition of gay. I can't stand these queens who latch onto Abba as if they are some symbol of gay rights - puh-lease, get over yourselves. What has Abba ever done for gay rights?

Posted by: jason | May 15, 2008 7:15:45 AM

15. Jason, no offense intended, but, dude, lighten the fuck up, will you?

Posted by: Clay | May 15, 2008 7:41:25 AM

16. I have no intention of "lightening up". I actually like Abba's songs, especially SOS, Mama Mia, Ring Ring and Dancing Queen, as well as Knowing Me Knowing You. But I loathe the way some queens fetishize over them as if they are some symbol of gay rights.

They have never marched in a gay rights parade, they have never played at a gay rights event, they have never made a public comment in support of gay rights...at least not as far as I can tell.

Posted by: jason | May 15, 2008 7:52:50 AM

17. @jason: they don't even talk to each other much less give out political statements.
    unclutch the pearls, bitsy, and take a breather.

Posted by: el smrtmnky | May 15, 2008 7:57:59 AM

18. Sure he's cute and all. But Cooper lived near me during his 'History Boys' run in NYC and he was kinda short (nothing wrong with that), skinny, and had funny feet. He should not have been wearing flip flops. On stage though he had a Jude Law sexiness about him. That's showbiz.

Posted by: JULIAN | May 15, 2008 10:16:09 AM

19. "and had funny feet."

Leave it to gays to tear a perfectly attractive man apart. Why do we do that?

A man will be undeniably all-around good looking and some queen will be like "Ugh! I don't think so -- his forearms are kinda small!"

Posted by: Jaimie | May 15, 2008 1:18:11 PM

20. Ehrenstein, you're a nut.

Posted by: Jeffrob | May 15, 2008 3:29:48 PM

21. Dominic Cooper is insanely handsome and sexy in "The History Boys."

ABBA has in fact worked for gay rights: In 2006, ABBA was reunited for the first time in ten years in support of gay rights in Poland. According to The Local, the four are “auctioning signed posters, photos and music in support of gay rights in Poland”.“The proceeds of the auction will go to Warsaw Pride, which has come under attack from Poland's new president, Lech Kaczynski. He banned last summer's gay pride celebrations in Warsaw, said that homosexuals were "not a natural part of Poland's culture," and challenged gay people to repress their sexuality”.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Jun 20, 2008 9:11:20 PM

22. In honor of Ehrenstein and Dominic Cooper, I present the gay "Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered" from "History Boys":

Posted by: Hephaestion | Jun 20, 2008 9:17:22 PM