Advertising | Missouri | News | San Francisco

Missouri GOP Congressman Attacks Rival Over 'San Francisco Values'

This idiotic ad from GOP congressman Sam Graves (left), whose seat is being challenged by former Kansas City Mayor Kay Barnes, is a lowbrow racist and homophobic attempt to smear Barnes by calling her out on her "San Francisco Values".

GravesPathetic anti-gay scare tactics are all Graves has left, apparently. Barnes' response to the ad is on the right.

The Graves campaign refuses to apologize for the ad, and additionally trying to connect Barnes with the California same-sex marriage ruling. They told the local FOX affiliate: "The same week Kay Barnes was in San Francisco for a fundraiser, the California Supreme Court issues the most sweeping liberal, activist, pro-gay marriage ruling in the nation."

Comments

1. So Kay Barnes' mere presence has the power to create pro-gay court rulings? We ought to have her tour the country until she can get us equal rights in every state! And was Barnes in MO when the earthquake struck? It was clearly connected to his presence in that state!

Posted by: Paul | May 21, 2008 11:52:09 AM

2. So..what? Like she had something to do with the CA Supreme Court decision because she was in the state?

She was mayor here in KC for years...she wasn't THAT influential.

Posted by: Sean | May 21, 2008 11:52:41 AM

3. I'm sorry, I meant that Graves was the cause of the earthquake. The Devil tried to stop me from writing that the first time, but luckily Jesus showed me my mistake.

Posted by: Paul | May 21, 2008 11:54:47 AM

4. Her response was spot on, calling him out as pathetic. We can expect a lot more of this since the rethuglicans can't run on any record. Just scare, hate and scare some more.

Posted by: davefromtampa | May 21, 2008 12:09:16 PM

5. I love how the nutjobs keep on suggesting that San Francisco should secede from their precious 'Murika. The implication being that the place would simply collaspe without the benevolent gudiance of the Republican Party and Uncle Sam.

Of course, it is a particularly ironic statement to make when we consider that little San Francisco and its suburbs actually has a higher GDP than the entire state of Missouri.

Posted by: John | May 21, 2008 12:15:59 PM

6. The response is perfect. "Pathetic" is spot on. Good for her.

Posted by: Michael | May 21, 2008 12:36:07 PM

7. Missouri has no shortage of reprehensible GOP politicians but Graves is truly the most despicable asshat to seek office in the state. Last time around, his opponent had once worked for a marketing company whose subsidiary had Penthouse as a client, so naturally, Graves said that his opponent worked for Penthouse. He is the slimiest of the slimy.

Posted by: Acolyte | May 21, 2008 12:36:49 PM

8. Anybody got pics of the hustlers he's doubtlessly fucking?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 21, 2008 1:22:47 PM

9. This post made me go to her website and donate money. And I live in L.A. I would urge anyone who can afford it to do the same. Then I went to his website. I bet most people don't realize that you can't e-mail a congressman unless you live in their district. That's how cowardly they are.

Posted by: Joe | May 21, 2008 1:55:45 PM

10. JOHN,

is that true about the gdp of s.f. and subs compared to mo.? wow! no surprise when one considers that the economy of ca. ranks sixth among the top national economies in the world.

Posted by: nic | May 21, 2008 4:27:07 PM

11. @Nic

Absolutely true. If it were an independent nation, the San Francisco Bay Area would have the 18th largest economy in the world.

Posted by: john | May 21, 2008 5:10:36 PM

12. Immediately went and donated money. That guys sucks and needs to go.

Posted by: geoff | May 23, 2008 12:46:02 AM

13. wow. I can't believe anyone would spend money to make such a crappy ad. I love Barnes' response add though...AMAZING! At least her campaign ad focuses on the real issues.

Posted by: Yahaira | Jun 20, 2008 3:29:51 PM