David Paterson | Gay Marriage | Georgia | Mariah Carey | New Mexico | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #298

DAVID PATERSON: His press conference on his directive to recognize out-of-state same-sex marriages.

MARIAH CAREY: Worst. Pitcher. Ever.

GEORGIA GAY MARRIAGE: Moblogic interviews the people of Georgia on their views on same-sex marriage.

NEW MEXICO: New Mexican congressional hopeful Benny Shendo Jr. gay-baits his opponent Ben Ray Luján. More here.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here.

Comments

1. And my mother wonders why I don't want to move back to my home state of Georgia.

Posted by: peterparker | May 29, 2008 4:39:55 PM

2. Per te same bible god also intended

- women to be quiet and submissive to men
    - men who shave their beards to be stoned to death
    - slavery A-OK
    - shrimp are EVIL
    - usery (loaning money for profit = just the entire western economic system) as a majorly BIG no no SIN
    etc

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | May 29, 2008 4:57:14 PM

3. I don't think they were too bad. In fact, I got the sense they were on their best behavior, trying to appear moderate and restrained. No spittle flew, no disparaging or hateful statements were made. This is how change happens, day by day.

Posted by: Peter | May 29, 2008 5:16:24 PM

4. I live in Atlanta and the city is truly different than the rest of the state. I honestly believe that had she come to the city her answers would have been slightly different here. We're like a blue island stuck in a giant red sea.

Posted by: Dustin | May 29, 2008 5:22:22 PM

5. It's easy to pick on Georgia, but I'm sure you would get the same answers in Oakland or the lobby of the Olympic Club in SF. Stupidity and fear of change are easy to find if you seek it out. Try that interview again on the Square in Decatur, GA!

Posted by: Tweety | May 29, 2008 5:34:25 PM

6. Sad fact: Mariah throws better than I can.

Posted by: Joe | May 29, 2008 5:39:07 PM

7. "they had rollerblading first and we know how that went".. huh??? I might have edited that journalist's comment out.

Posted by: willnDurhamNC | May 29, 2008 5:40:34 PM

8. All the people who are opposed to marriage equality cited personal religious reasons. I have yet to hear a legitimate public policy reason to deny marriage to us.

Posted by: sam | May 29, 2008 5:57:06 PM

9. I'm a bit ashamed to say that as of 5 months ago, I lived in Marietta, Georgia.

It's not that "small" of a town; it's 15-20 minutes outside of downtown Atlanta. As Peter says, Marietta is totally different than Atlanta, despite being so close.

Posted by: damien | May 29, 2008 6:13:39 PM

10. Do people keep forgetting that Massachusetts was the FIRST state in this country to legalize gay marriage? I mean, Jesus, California isn't the center of the universe.

A proud resident of Massachusetts....

Posted by: Steven | May 29, 2008 7:12:28 PM

11. I love the comment about asking the same comment on the town square in Decatur...a similar suburban Atlanta, former "small town" and county seat. You'd have a totally different set of responses...a mirror image actually.

Posted by: aka frank | May 29, 2008 9:46:03 PM

12. no pitcher is worst than Ryan Seacrest!

Posted by: mikey | May 29, 2008 11:13:26 PM

13. ...please Mikey, Ryan's never pitched in his life...he's a catcher...

Posted by: yeahisaidit | May 30, 2008 12:19:37 AM

14. ...please Mikey, Ryan's never pitched in his life...he's a catcher...

Posted by: yeahisaidit | May 30, 2008 12:21:06 AM

15. First off you wouldn't catch me in Georgia..they can keep thier Bumkin ways..if it was up the majority, I have no doubt they'd still love segregation/slavery etc...I won't go there,nor spend my tourism dollars there...and How come the questionaire NEVER says "What if we outlaw divorce'? or explains to the so-called religious women HOW Dogma WAS USED to prevent them from having RIGHTS? Same goes with Blacks who are against the LGBT community and Equality? That Infuriates me.

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 30, 2008 10:07:06 AM

16. on GA gay-marriage:
    This is very discouraging. they, say they know gays and lesbian personally, but still keep their view. Wow, if they can't be convinced by example, what else?
    I sense that they know, that it is not pc to be against gay-marriage, but still contradict with their religious morality. this is a very republican-spin attitude: Deny it to them, but be polite and name church reasons.

Posted by: Alex | May 30, 2008 12:28:12 PM

17. Agree with Alex above. I found that Georgia item very depressing and bewildering esp given the personal experience of family members being gay.

God still has a vice-like grip on major parts of the US it would seem. I find this kind of religious enthusiasm really quite disturbing.

Posted by: atheist | May 31, 2008 2:25:40 PM

18. Georgia's my home state and I'll always love it...but it will be a very long time before the majority of Georgians accept gay marriage...I mean...parts of Georgia are still segregated (for instance my hometown's City Cemetery is whites on one side and everyone else in another part) and the biggest political topic in rural Georgia is how to get the Confederate Flag back on the state flag...but it's still a beautiful state and I'll love it...just won't live there.

Posted by: John | May 31, 2008 4:47:14 PM