New York | News | William Shatner

BigGayDeal.com

William Shatner Describes His First Gay New York Encounter

Shatner

It was the 50's. Shatner had just arrived in the Big Apple and was treated to a taste of the old Times Square. Gay panic ensued.

Shatner tells Page Six: "I was wandering around Times Square and this guy says, 'I'm going to Radio City Music Hall, would you like to come?' And I said, 'Oh, yes' - [I thought] wow, New York is everything I heard it was going to be! We're in the audience, I'm a young hot-blooded Canadian and out come the dancing girls, a plethora of women - and I feel his hand brush my knee. I thought, well, it's an accident, then I felt it again. What the [bleep]? I got up and ran out."

Related
Klingon to Me [tr]

Comments

1. KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!!

Posted by: Darrem | May 13, 2008 10:05:24 AM

2. Good thing it wasn't Spock that they guy tried to hit on, otherwise Spock would have whipped out the vulcan death grip.

Posted by: davefromtampa | May 13, 2008 10:21:49 AM

3. Excuse me, but wasn't he famously bi-sexual for a few years during the seventies?

Posted by: Cristopher | May 13, 2008 10:39:47 AM

4. Maybe he's bi or gay, doesn't much matter. He was young and naive and didn't want to be groped by a stranger in a public place. No story here.

Posted by: Troy | May 13, 2008 11:44:46 AM

5. yeah, and spent the the rest of the 1960's being a little boys dream ...

Posted by: MiKEM | May 13, 2008 12:08:59 PM

6. And thus his chance to become Ed Koch's secret lover came to a tragic end.

Posted by: David D. | May 13, 2008 12:12:17 PM

7. Ok David....where do I send the bill for my new keyboard after spitting coffee all over my old one at that comment??? LOL :)

Posted by: Joshua | May 13, 2008 1:04:30 PM

8. Apparently he was too naive to understand "would you like to come?".

Posted by: anon | May 13, 2008 2:41:07 PM

9. I never understand these celebs' need to really hammer the point home THAT THEY ARE HETEROSEXUAL just in case you didn't know already... I mean, its the 21st century Bill and you're an old guy now; you could show a little perspective; have a little fun with it, be playful...but no you gotta do a stereotypical staight guy freaks out at knee brushing incident. How unimaginative.

Posted by: atheist | May 13, 2008 5:32:54 PM

10. I wonder how many young starlets this four time married bloated loser has hit on. Get a life. Never liked him or anything he did. He's as fake as the hair piece he thinks looks real.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 13, 2008 6:49:52 PM

11. How true.Although I have known that I was gay since I was 5 years old and fooled around with other friends, the first time two of my coworkers took me to a gay bar (I didn't know those things existed) and somebody was recruting for an orgy I ran out of the bar like a bat out of hell and I was 18 years old by then.Since then I have been to thousands, yes thousands of bar here and in Europe but the first time one is presented with the reality of gay life is overwelming particularly after being raped at 13.I understand WS fear.Maybe he had a bad gay experience in Canada he doesn't want to talk about.He's reaction is understandable.

Posted by: Oscar | May 17, 2008 2:17:13 PM

12. Oscar was that an over-share??

I would have walked out of the theater too, I expect dinner and a movie at least!!

Posted by: Ty Jones | May 18, 2008 8:50:10 PM