Cyndi Lauper | Gay Pride | News | Television | Van Hansis

Cyndi Lauper Offers Her True Colors to Luke and Noah on ATWT

Cyndi

Cyndi Lauper taped a special gay pride episode of As the World Turns on May 27 which is set to air on July 3rd. It's a first-of-its-kind moment for daytime TV, and it's hard to argue for a better advocate than Lauper to come swinging through Oakdale.

LauperLauper told Entertainment Weekly: "'I think they're young, these guys, and they're sweet. They're taking their time and struggling with the heart issues, which is even more endearing than just being like the straight couples, half-naked and having sex all over the place. The best way to people is through the heart, and that's why I think it's kind of interesting the way they've done it. It's about love."

I've transcribed her brief interview for Entertainment Tonight and clipped it, AFTER THE JUMP: "I'm here to do an intervention for true love. And uh, I think true love should always win out. I think it's actually a monumental show that I'm on. And I think CBS should be commended. Noah and Luke are in love, so I'm just gonna say 'Hey, you gotta be there for each other because you walk away from your chance sometimes. you don't get that back.' As the World Turns is really doing something monumental. It's including a community of people who are our extended families. You know, it's our uncles, our cousins, our sisters, our brothers. It's about opening your heart and understanding that people are different and perhaps your kids aren't always going to be exactly who you want. They're always oppoiste. It's always your Achilles heel. But you love em. And see, that's the heart. And these two, they're in love with each other, and that's how they've nurtured each other, and I'm proud to be included, you know. I think it's a great thing."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

And if you haven't heard Lauper's new single "Into the Night Life" yet, it's her best in years and deserving of plenty a play on the dance floor this summer.

Comments

1. Love you too, Cynd!

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jun 2, 2008 9:30:07 AM

2. What a GREAT LADY! Her new album is SMOKING HOT!

Posted by: Adrian | Jun 2, 2008 9:52:28 AM

3. Our community needs to support people that support us. Cyndi is a true friend of our community- Thank You Cyndi for being so AWESOME!

Posted by: Nick | Jun 2, 2008 9:57:30 AM

4. Nick is so right! We need to support Cyndi as much as she supports us! What a great lady! Forget D&G and all the others who have let us down!

Posted by: Damien | Jun 2, 2008 10:11:23 AM

5. I love Cyndi and Loah! :D I'm so excited. Van dancing with her is adorable.

Posted by: Nick P | Jun 2, 2008 10:25:19 AM

6. Her record company is not supporting her because she supports Gay Rights- Please buy her new album and send a message to SONY that we are here to STAY~

Posted by: Paul | Jun 2, 2008 10:26:22 AM

7. After afternoon events which had, as in previous years, been disrupted by religious fascists, I will never forget the thrill of hearing Lauper begin her outdoor concert at Philadelphia's Equality Forum in 2005 with an air-splitting, heart pounding a cappella version of these lyrics:

"Come senators, congressmen
    Please heed the call
    Don't stand in the doorway
    Don't block up the hall
    For he that gets hurt
    Will be he who has stalled
    There's a battle outside
    And it is ragin'.
    It'll soon shake your windows
    And rattle your walls
    For the times they are a-changin'."

The Liberty Bell is rarely rung anymore, but that day we had Cyndi.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Jun 2, 2008 12:44:56 PM

8. Cyndi took time off from True Colors rehearsal on Friday of this past week to invite some of the top team fundraisers for this past Sunday's Boston AIDS Walk for a meet and greet publicity photo. Then she invited the 6 or so assembled for the picture to stay and be her private audience as she ran through her show for Saturday's tour kick off.

PLUS - earlier in the week, she recorded a phone message that was sent to ALL walk particpants encouraging them to stay involved and to support AIDS Walk Boston.

Truly a class act - 110% fantastic. Thanks Cyndi!!!

Posted by: Keith in Boston | Jun 2, 2008 1:00:41 PM

9. Cyndi's new CD is great, I heard the entire CD yesterday, I love it!:)

Posted by: Shannon | Jun 2, 2008 1:11:32 PM

10. My partner and I are going to her concert Tuesday at Radio City...should be good.
    I just checked online and tickets are still available....

Posted by: Alex | Jun 2, 2008 1:24:56 PM

11. She deserves much more success- too bad that her record company is not supporting her like she deserves. Why isn't she going to all talk shows to promote her new single?

Posted by: Steven | Jun 2, 2008 4:40:01 PM

12. Ye if her company doesn't do anything it's like let the enemy to drive this all

Posted by: James | Jun 2, 2008 5:44:18 PM

13. Sony is not promoting her because she promotes Gay Rights? Fuck SONY!!!

Posted by: Martin | Jun 2, 2008 6:59:33 PM