Jay Brannan | Music | News

Exclusive Download: New Version of Jay Brannan's 'Half-Boyfriend'

Jaybrannan

Today we have a special treat for you Jay Brannan fans (and those of you who have yet to discover him). It's an exclusive free download of Brannan's track "Half-Boyfriend". An older version of the track has been out for a while, but this is a new version recorded specifically for the album featuring different orchestrations.

Those of you not familiar with Brannan's music may know him from the John Cameron Mitchell film Shortbus.

Brannan's album Goddamned is set for digital release on July 1st (you can pre-order it here, and arrives in stores July 15th. He'll also be doing a U.S. tour in July, starting on the 11th in Boston.

Listen and download, AFTER THE JUMP...

Jay Brannan — "Half-Boyfriend" Click to listen. Right click and "save target" to download.

(images from a shoot for Zoo magazine, last year)

Brannan2

Comments

1. I just recently discovered him and am obsessed. His song "I wanna be a housewife" is really cute.

Posted by: shaw rez | Jun 12, 2008 3:55:25 PM

2. That child is as beautiful as his music. I <3 Jay x1000.

I already have the track (he has an EP available on iTunes) but thanks for the offer, Andy.

Posted by: Chas | Jun 12, 2008 3:55:39 PM

3. Jay is such a sweetie. He was the entertainment at my opening night party last year.

And he's so pretty I wanted to crawl under a rock. LOL.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 12, 2008 4:03:01 PM

4. Eek. Original version is better.

Posted by: Stephen | Jun 12, 2008 4:04:46 PM

5. Oh, he is exquisite. Did y'all watch the "special feature" section on the DVD of "Short Bus"? Well, the actor who "tossed salad" on Jay while singing "The Star Spangled Banner" said that all Jay was concerned with was that his booty smelled ok. I thought that was so adorable...and considerate.

Actually, it might have been the director who mentioned that. Well, anyway, I'm glad Jay's career continues to bloom. Another brave openly gay artist.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 12, 2008 4:15:21 PM

6. Is he attempting to replicate the first scene in Shortbus or what?

Posted by: kansastock | Jun 12, 2008 4:59:28 PM

7. I'm a big fan of Jay, love him and his music.

That said, I don't care much for the production on this track. The violin solos are too deliberate and blue-grassy. This track, at least its original version, is fragile, insecure, reckoning. The acoustic guitar work is delicate and echoes that mood, the violin takes away from that.

I think this track best stands naked with just acoustic guitar and vocals

Posted by: JX | Jun 12, 2008 5:53:36 PM

8. He's got a great voice. I fell in love with him while watching Shortbus!

Posted by: Jose | Jun 12, 2008 6:31:01 PM

9. I would like this version but for the violin. JX's comment is spot on, but I can live with the bass, it gives good depth to the song.

Can't wait to buy this!

Posted by: Austin Brower | Jun 12, 2008 6:35:07 PM

10. half-boyfriend or housewife - i would fill either of these roles..i am in love with the soulful sweet spirit that is jay brennan

Posted by: jbb | Jun 12, 2008 9:45:28 PM

11. ...of course, as his half-boyfriend, i would spell his name correctly....jay brannan, you are superb

Posted by: jbb | Jun 12, 2008 9:54:21 PM

12. hes my favorite and i can't wait for the album, i already bought housewife as a single in on itunes.
    however, i agree that the violin is too much on this song. jays lyrics and voice are powerful, and dont need to be weighed down.
    Love you Jay!

Posted by: clayton | Jun 12, 2008 11:01:23 PM

13. Thanks for the track... great song!

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 13, 2008 5:07:04 AM

14. Hey Towle, you ever post stuff on guys over 40? 35? 30?

Posted by: Rich | Jun 13, 2008 6:15:18 AM

15. As an avid 'Shortbus' fan, thanks for the heads-up on Jay's upcoming release. Some shortcomings, but all-in-all he's got a beautiful, soulful voice.

Posted by: Parker | Jun 13, 2008 6:37:49 AM

16. Thanks Andy for posting this. I have yet to see Shortbus so I've never seen this cutey. I love his voice and will buy his album. Out and Proud on top of it.....we've come a long way baby.

Posted by: angrycitizen | Jun 13, 2008 2:08:10 PM

17. Rich: When Jay is over 30, over 35, and over 40, Andy'll post about him. Maybe it'd be helpful to suggest some people who might be appropriate?

I love Jay's music. There's a sweetness and gentleness to it that's intoxicating.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 14, 2008 8:57:50 AM

18. Love him. His voice is beautiful.

Posted by: Scooter | Jun 14, 2008 12:30:54 PM

19. Jay is an awesome artist. I love him. I too like the originals but then that is the beauty of admiring an artist as he grows. I have been fortunate to hear him when it is so simple; just him, his words & his beauty.

Come back to Vancouver soon Jay.

id.

Posted by: Id | Jun 14, 2008 4:00:33 PM

20. i have been following jay's career since finding him on youtube a couple years ago. i still haven't seen shortbus, although i very much want to, but i have gotten to know the man, and he is as sweet and unassuming as they come. he answers his own fanmail, for cripes sake.

may he finaly become comfortable in his own skin, and BELIEVE all the good things he hears about himself, because they are all true.

jack

Posted by: jack | Jun 16, 2008 6:24:07 AM

21. He is so dreamy, I want to buy him a tshirt from youaresofamous.com

Posted by: John | Jun 16, 2008 7:36:54 PM

22. "Housewife" is quite and nice song, music.
    Lyrics are so cute and beautiful.
    I discover that's song on "face book".
    Now I'm waiting for his album to buy in FRANCE. I hope it will be sell in FNAC music store or in other shop of music !

Posted by: LEROUX Jean-Marc | Jun 20, 2008 6:41:51 PM