Africa | Art and Design | New York | News | The Gambia

Human Rights Group Urges Gambian Leader to End Anti-Gay Threats

Thegambia_senegal

New York-based Human Rights Watch has sent a letter to Gambian President Yahya Jammeh, who recently announced plans to rid his country of homosexuals and threatened to behead any gays that were discovered there, to drop those threats and speak out against homophobia:

Wrote Scott Long, director of HRW's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights Program: "We urge you to publicly disavow threats and vilification directed against gays and lesbian people in Gambia. We ask you to affirm publicly and without equivocation that all people should enjoy their rights regardless of their sexual orientation and gender identity."

Good luck with that.

The Gambia recently released two Spanish nationals who were arrested in the country after allegedly making sexual proposals to taxi drivers.

In related news, New York-based Brazilian sculptor Fernando Carpaneda, who last December showed off a doll modeled after Russian artist/photographer Slava Mogutin that he had created as a response to international homophobes, is showing off a new doll based on Gambian President Yahya Jammeh.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP (warning NSFW)...

Comments

1. Was the message sent by an Al Queda courier?

Seriously, international rights groups must try do something, but the man is a lunatic, trying to find a scapegoat to confuse his people...something like what the gay marriage issue did for Republicans in the US elections of 2004.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 11, 2008 10:55:28 AM

2. Not sure what Al Qaida has anything to do with this... Can you please elaborate, Derrick From Philly?

Posted by: Osman | Jun 11, 2008 11:04:16 AM

3. So? We sent a strongly worded letter and made a doll.
    I can feel their terror from here.
    I suspect international rights groups may be busy elsewhere...

Posted by: Nonplussed | Jun 11, 2008 11:11:59 AM

4. I'm sorry, sometimes sarcasm isn't appropriate.

I'm saying, I don't think he will take heed to international pressure, and so you may as well use a group more extreme than he is, Al Qaida, to deliver the message of tolerance. But then, international rights groups working to make change have a better shot at making a difference than some "queen" on a keyboard with little to do at work--I know, and I apologize again.

(And thanks for the correct spelling of Al Qaida--which makes my attempt at wit even more glaringly weak)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 11, 2008 11:15:35 AM

5. Derrick, you have the right to talk nonsense should you wish to in this world of lonely lawyers. As do I...
    Al Qaida? I thought it was al-Qaeda?
    "Tomato, tomato,
    Potato, Potato
    let's call the whole thing off..."

Posted by: Nonplussed | Jun 11, 2008 11:24:58 AM

6. Yeah I know...Why can't there be a stronger message like, say, threaten him and other tyrants with an international arrest warrant or something? Any suggestions, legal experts?

Posted by: Shabaka | Jun 11, 2008 1:34:39 PM

7. Derrick

I got your point.

The best group to send the message would be the entire international community via the UN human rights comittee. Sadly the USA just removed ourselves from said comittee because bush wants to continue to torture.

Outside of that the World court would work if the USA would submit just a smidgen to it. If we actualy upheld it etc then we could send in crack teams of special agents with an arrest warrent

Anyway; this is where I wish holywood and real life would collide. The new Angelina movie about assasins "we take out 1 to save a thousand" would help. There are some human beings that can not be reformed and simply need to be taken out to save the many from the few.

:-(

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jun 11, 2008 1:45:40 PM

8. See, this is one of the many reasons the whole "Back to Africa" thing never caught on with me. I'm keeping my black and beautiful ass where it's safe, thanks. Much love and luck to the people stuck over there with assholes like Jammeh.

Posted by: Chas | Jun 11, 2008 2:28:23 PM

9. Confront violence with violence. I say, cut that nasty homophobe's balls off and shove them down his throat.

Posted by: mike | Jun 11, 2008 2:54:53 PM

10. Confront violence with violence. I say, cut that nasty homophobe's balls off and shove them down his throat.

Posted by: mike | Jun 11, 2008 2:55:11 PM

11. Where can we go these days? Might as well hand our passports in now. If we can't holiday in Gambia or Iran, what's the point, eh?

Posted by: DD | Jun 11, 2008 6:13:46 PM

12. Hi,

I set up a Downing Street petition about this asking the UK gov to stop sending aid to countries that trat being gay as a capital crime - any Brits that read this should sign it!

Posted by: Richard | Jun 12, 2008 11:47:11 AM