Obama Issues Letter to LGBT Community, Rallies Gay Supporters

***OBAMA’S LETTER TO THE LGBT COMMUNITY***

I’m running for President to build an America that lives up to our founding promise of equality for all – a promise that extends to our gay brothers and sisters. It’s wrong to have millions of Americans living as second-class citizens in this nation. And I ask for your support in this election so that together we can bring about real change for all LGBT Americans.

Equality is a moral imperative. That’s why throughout my career, I have fought to eliminate discrimination against LGBT Americans. In Illinois, I cosponsored a fully inclusive bill that prohibited discrimination on the basis of both sexual orientation and gender identity, extending protection to the workplace, housing, and places of public accommodation. In the U.S. Senate, I have cosponsored bills that would equalize tax treatment for same-sex couples and provide benefits to domestic partners of federal employees. And as president, I will place the weight of my administration behind the enactment of the Matthew Shepard Act to outlaw hate crimes and a fully inclusive Employment Non- Discrimination Act to outlaw workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.

As your President, I will use the bully pulpit to urge states to treat samesex couples with full equality in their family and adoption laws. I personally believe that civil unions represent the best way to secure that equal treatment. But I also believe that the federal government should not stand in the way of states that want to decide on their own how best to pursue equality for gay and lesbian couples -whether that means a domestic partnership, a civil union, or a civil marriage. I support the complete repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). Federal law should not discriminate in any way against gay and lesbian couples, which is precisely what DOMA does. I have also called for us to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, and I have worked to improve the Uniting American Families Act so we can afford same-sex couples the same rights and obligations as married couples in our immigration system.

The next president must also address the HIV/AIDS epidemic. When it comes to prevention, we do not have to choose between values and science. While abstinence education should be part of any strategy, we also need to use common sense. We should have age-appropriate sex education that includes information about contraception. We should pass the JUSTICE Act to combat infection within our prison population. And we should lift the federal ban on needle exchange, which could dramatically reduce rates of infection among drug users. In addition, local governments can protect public health by distributing contraceptives.

We also need a president who’s willing to confront the stigma – too often tied to homophobia – that continues to surround HIV/AIDS. I confronted this stigma directly in a speech to evangelicals at Rick Warren’s Saddleback Church, and will continue to speak out as president.

That is where I stand on the major issues of the day. But having the right positions on the issues is only half the battle. The other half is to win broad support for those positions. And winning broad support will require stepping outside our comfort zone. If we want to repeal DOMA, repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, and implement fully inclusive laws outlawing hate crimes and discrimination in the workplace, we need to bring the message of LGBT equality to skeptical audiences as well as friendly ones – and that’s what I’ve done throughout my career. I brought this message of inclusiveness to all of America in my keynote address at the 2004 Democratic convention. I talked about the need to fight homophobia when I announced my candidacy for President, and I have been talking about LGBT equality to a number of groups during this campaign – from local LGBT activists to rural farmers to parishioners at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, where Dr. Martin Luther King once preached.

Just as important, I have been listening to what all Americans have to say. I will never compromise on my commitment to equal rights for all LGBT Americans. But neither will I close my ears to the voices of those who still need to be convinced. That is the work we must do to move forward together. It is difficult. It is challenging. And it is necessary.

Americans are yearning for leadership that can empower us to reach for what we know is possible. I believe that we can achieve the goal of full equality for the millions of LGBT people in this country. To do that, we need leadership that can appeal to the best parts of the human spirit. Join with me, and I will provide that leadership. Together, we will achieve real equality for all Americans, gay and straight alike.

Comments

1. jason says

Does anyone get the sense that Obama is a pandering fraud? He seems to have a message for every audience. Problem is, he can’t logically reconcile his conservative black base with the GLBT community. They are poles apart, basically.

This is one gay man who will NOT be voting for Obama.

2. Jimmyboyo says

Jason

Does anyone get the sense that you are a log cabinite repub who also hates the Clintons?

Have you ever voted for anyone not a repub?

Obama constantly mentions gay rights to conservative religous African American communities. A tough crowd to do so to and yet he always does, bridging that gap you claim is insurmountable.

3. Mary, Late Dowager Queen of the British Empire says

Sure Jason, like McCain acknowledges ANYTHING? Get your head out of your ass and try acting like an adult.

4. jason says

Read the text of Obama’s speech carefully. He’s vacillating already. This is vacillation masquerading as an embrace. Most blacks are churchy types on a par with the religious right, and Obama is no different.

5. coolbear says

“Most blacks are churchy types on a par with the religious right, and Obama is no different.”
    Fabulous. It’s wonderful to have lived to see the day when white gay men can freely express their racism, just like anyone else.

6. Jimmyboyo says

Why sit out?

This is how I tell true Hillary supporters from posers. A true Hillary supporter that for whatever reason can not and or will not vote Obama can write in Hillary’s name.

Did you support Senator Clinton? Something tells me you didn’t

7. says

Wow, way to break out your broad brush there Mary. If church is the reason for our alleged narrow-mindedness, what is yours?

8. Jimmyboyo says

Jason

You still haven’t answered these questions

1- Have you ever voted for a non repub?
    2- Dis you actualy support Senator Clinton?

You bypass those and say you won’t vote mccain but in the end you still never answered

“Have you ever voted for a non repub?”

9. Matt says

I’m concerned that LGBT’s are blinded by the one issue of gay marriage. It’s really not something that I’m very passionate about. I’m more concerned with the war in Iraq, the economy, taxes, and the environment.

I honestly don’t know who I want to vote for even if I vote at all. I’m so disenfranchied with the whole process. I mean deep down, I really don’t think anything will change regardless of who is president. I’ve lost a little bit of hope for this country.

10. Chris says

What a lying sack of shit. His “dedication” to GLBT issues lost all credibility when he refused to remove McClurkin from his gospel tour when the Human Rights Campaign asked him to. He needs his black churchies more than he needs gays.

11. daveynyc says

So long Hillary, the best President we never had…

“The emotional, sexual, and psychological stereotyping of females begins when the doctor says, “It’s a Girl.”

-S. Chrisholm

Tucker Carlson:
    “When she comes on television I involuntarily cross my legs”

Neil Cavuto:
    “Men won’t vote for Hillary Clinton because she reminds them of their nagging wives.”

Barack Obama:
    “The default candidate for Democrats in this race was always going to be Hillary Clinton because she’s Hillary Clinton as opposed to Hillary Rodham”

Barack Obama’s choice of song at his Des Moines victory party was Jay-Z’s “99 Problems” which played the lyrics on the loop “ I got 99 problems but a bitch ain’t one”

Marc Rudov:
    “Men are allowing women to take over the world”

“She’s not called a B-word because she’s assertive and aggressive; she’s called a B-word cause she acts like one”

Stephen Kaus:
    “She’s Sister Frigidaire”

Barack Obama:
    “You challenge the status quo and suddenly the claws come out”

Christoper Hitchens:
    [her actions] “Made her look soppy and bitchy”

Barack Obama:
    “I understand that senator Clinton, periodically when she’s feeling down launches attacks as a way of trying to boost her appeal”

Keith Olberman:
    “Someone should take her into a room where only he come out”
    “She teared up one moment then attacked Obama the next”

Longtime Obama supporter Steve Cohen on whether Hillary should drop put:
    “Glenn Close should have stayed in the tub”

Pete Snyder:
    “I think someone is going to have to go out there and take her behind the barn”

Chris Matthews:
    “ She’s the She-Devil”

“The only reason she’s a presidential candidate is because her husband fooled around”

Jack Cafferty CNN:
    “The question is which Hillary Clinton is going to show up…at Thursdays debate in Austin Texas, Mrs. Clinton showed a softer side, a couple of days later she morphed into a scolding mother talking down to her child, she wasn’t finished, she resembled someone with multiple personality disorder”

-Because of the way this country treats women, we may have nominated perhaps the most unqualified Presidential nominee ever.

12. Morgan says

Lincoln was less “qualified,” if I’m interpreting your ludicrous definition of “qualified” to mean strictly legislative experience. How did he do?

Dave/Jason, you can feel free not to vote for Obama if you want, but don’t pretend it’s because he’s “unqualified” or “hates gays.” McCain will appoint conservative supreme court justices who threaten real harm to gay rights. Think about it.

13. Jimmyboyo says

Daveynyc

Are you going to vote mccain?

Favors TOTAL repeal of Roe vs wade with no exceptions even in case of rape, incest, and or life of the mother?

Is threatening Iran with nukes thinking China and Russia will just sit back and let us F up their ties to Iran, Iran’s oil, Iran’s natural gas reserves, etc…………You might as well pick a US city you don’t mind see going up in a mushroom cloub because if we nuke Iran then China and or Russia will nuke at least 1 of our cities in retaliation.

McCain’s surrogate Lindsey Grahm this weekend on Stephenopolus show asked if mccains tax and health care policies were in lines with bush’s. The answer = “ABSOLUTELY”

Mccain stumped against civil unions in AZ

I f you are not going to vote Obama, then write in Hillary’s name and stay out of the way. You are actively supporting mccain at this point wether intentional or not.

As Senator clinton said “…there is just too much at stake.” When she endorsed Obama

14. Angelmonster says

I was a Hillary supporter and part of me doesn’t want to go to the polls and even vote. Obama id DEFINITELY not my first choice for a number of obvious reasons. Still I will vote, and Obama is the lesser of two evils that I will now be voting for. I won’t be immature and write down Hillary’s name or go for a third party.
    I truly believe the LBGT community needs to look into ll of the issues both men support and find which one they feel comfortable supporting. Neither are perfect, neither have a great outlook on equal rights for us and for gay marriage. I just think if we go with Obama there is a better chance he will consider us then McCain ever would.
    As for ho wpeople saw Hillary just like stars you only get to see one side of her. now people are seeing her compassionate, human side. before she had to sell herself and be who we thought we wanted her to be as a president. As DaveNYC said a lot of people disliked her because of her lack of male anatomy. Sadly all people could see in this race was black and female. I wish they would have put that aside and looked at their qualifications and stand on things rather then the fact that neither were a white male.

15. Marc says

or even considerThat someone would vote for McBush and be posting on this site is amazing, I guess they forgot two words from HRC that actually matter SUPREME COURT. I guess to some, their emotional attachment to a candidate trumps common sense and the right to equality that we deserve and sure as all out won’t get under a McBush administration and God forbid he gets the chance to put more anti-gay judges on that bench.

16. noah says

Jason,

This is such a boldly racist statement. It’s great to see how gay men are willing to label a 40 million Americans as “churchy.” Where’s your proof? Oh, that’s right, who needs proof when it’s easier to stereotype 40 million human beings!

It’s not like the Religious Right doesn’t stereotype all gays as promiscuous, disease carrying child rapists. Doesn’t it make you feel good to have something in common with Fred Phelps or James Dobson?

First, get this through your thick skull: African-Americans are human beings, individuals, who are not robots who think, pray, walk, and talk alike. There are Baptist, Lutheran, Pentecostal, Jewish, and Buddhist African-American worshipers! Moreover, African-Americans are not the people who have created the system that oppresses gays of all races. That would be white males who have controlled this society for the last few hundred years. (Along with gay white men like Larry Craig and the other closet cases in the GOP are only happy to spew homophobia while they can get a little tail on the side.) The major GOP operatives who used gay marriage and anti-gay rhetoric to get out the vote were not African-Americans.

Second, have you ever read a history book? If you did, you would understand that African-Americans have been the most loyal voting bloc of the Democratic Party for the last 40 years. Thus, they have secured the election of the progressives who have passed LIBERAL legislation. So, you should be a little more thankful for African-American voters. If they weren’t there voting for Democrats, liberal judges would not have been placed on the Supreme Court.

Third, not voting is like voting for McCain who is NOT a friend of the gays. Presidents appoint federal judges for lifetime appointments. How many Rightwingers do you think Bush appointed? How many more do you think McCain will appoint?

Fourth, get over Donnie McClurkin. Obama has repeatedly spoken out about gay issues to mainly straight crowds throughout the campaign. Hillary never did this.

Fifth, yes, Hillary faced sexism (mainly from white men like Chris Matthews and Republican operative) but she and her surrogates engaged in blatant racial politics. Sexism does not trump racism. Crying victim while engaging in bigoted behavior weakens one’s position.

Finally, it’s about the general election! If you think that John McCain is some moderate, you’re kidding yourself. Read about McCain’s history on gay rights and women’s rights.

McCain has embraced the Religious Right that many gays like Jason denounce. He sought the endorsement of John Hagee, who says that the anti-Christ will be a gay Jew.

What kind of Supreme Court justices do you think McCain will appoint? The answer is jurists like Scalia and Thomas who voted against repealing the sodomy laws!

Hillary lost. It’s time to move on and focus on the endgame. If you can’t get over your bigotry (Jason) or remorse of Hillary’s defeat, then you are just going to help the GOP get elected.

17. Justin says

I just don’t see how he can say the federal government has no place discriminating against anyone, and then says civil unions, separate but equal, are the ways to achieve equality. Just makes me wonder in what other ways will he leave our community behind.

But of course I’m going to vote for him, because anything else would be stupid. Not to mention LGBT issues are just a very tiny percentage of the issues that I care about. All of us are more than just lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender…every political issue, not just so-called LGBT ones, affects us as much as it does everyone else. So while we should absolutely criticize Obama when he fails us, we can’t let that be our only criteria for judging him. That’s not how politics works.

18. says

I still do not get the animosity towards Obama, which now seems to me much more obvious than the animosity towards Clinton (which I never really noticed in the first place).

If we take (on the gay blog) just gay issues, Obama and Clinton were very close. I never bought into the “blame Hillary for Bill’s supposed backing of DOMA and DADT” line, and even defended Bill often on that. But in fact on gay issues Obama is marginally _better_ than Clinton: he is for repealing DOMA and he spoke to non-gay groups (“black churchies”?) about gay issues.

There is a HUGE difference between Obama and McCain on gay issues, and there’s no way anyone could not see that. Even if I didn’t care about them, there are many other reasons to vote Obama: the war, health care, the environment, you name it. I’ve just spent a year mostly in Central/Eastern Europe, and I would frankly welcome not having to feel embarrassed about my country’s policies and about the stupidity of the American voter (let’s not repeat 2000 and 2004, please!).

GOP trolls go away.
    The rest of you please stop your bickering and support the Democratic candidate!

19. Zeke says

JIMMYBOYO, do you still think that we Obama supporters “GOD DAMN IT” (as you said earlier) should be kind a conciliatory to the bitter, angry and delussional crybabies like DAVEYNYC who are STILL bitching, whining and moaning?

Lord, my first choice was, and my vote went to John Edwards but I dertainly didn’t pitch a temper tantrum and try to hold the whole party hostage when my candidate was defeated and had to drop out.

Tell ya what DAVEYNYC, vote McSame or sit it out; hell, vote for yourself, whatever, it’s your choice. Just don’t come back here in November and blame us or Obama if McSame gets elected when it was YOU who helped make it happen. If you vote for Obama and he loses then you can stick it to us, and say “told ya so” all you want, but if you vote for McSame OR you don’t vote at all then you should live quietly with your choice. In fact, in my opinion, NO ONE who doesn’t vote should say ONE WORD about who gets elected. When you give up your right to vote, you give up your right to bitch about who got elected.

And by the way, MATT is also a long-term conservative poster here at Towleroad as the archives will show. He will troll the McClurkin meme trying to distract and deflate gay Obama supporters from now until November.

20. Jim says

Nothing will change? Hello – Vt, NJ, and CT have civil unions. Mass. and California have marriage. An African-American man has just won the nomination for president after a heated battle with an equally strong, compelling and viable woman candidate. Things are changing.

I certainly agree it is myopic to focus only on gay issues/identity politics when we have war, $4 gasoline, global warming and any other number of challenges ahead of us, as well as all the debt we’ve racked up at the fed govt, state gov’t and individual level.

The fact that Obama has been able to raise so much $$ from small donors and be in a position to not accept PAC and lobbyist $$ is a major change.

Like the changes we’ve seen re: marriage and equal rights, progressive change is never going to come quickly or easily. It only comes when all us little folks get out there and live lives consistent with the world we want to live in.

21. says

Nothing like a good dose of racism (Jason) and idiocy to start off the week and, likely, the long months leading up to election time!

I’m not sure what this over-the-top animosity towards Obama is based on, but it’s not your self-interests as a gay person. Listen to what he’s saying: He’s on our side, people! If gay rights matter to you, he is clearly the superior candidate. It’s not even close. If gay rights don’t matter to you and you support the Republican platform, then McCain is your man. As someone who’s voted in every election in my adult life, I honesty don’t understand people who have decided not to vote a full 5 months before the election. But then a good percentage of Americans are too lazy to ever vote, so I guess the ignorance of the American electorate, gay and straight, shouldn’t surprise me.

P.S. Leah, is “Harvard student” meant to impress us?

22. JTluvr says

That is the most racist and incorrect blanket statement I’ve heard in awhile. When was the last time you interacted with African Americans? We are a broad spectrum of peoples… much like white Americans.

Obama has done a tremendous job speaking the challenges of race and sexuality and how their social struggles for equality are similar. He took black churches to task for their hypocrisy on this issue in a few speeches I’ve seen.

Those who declare themselves religious or evangelical do need a talking to. Many of them are so blinded by their teachings that they don’t see the hyprocrisy in their own actions.

I am a professional black gay male, Southern Baptist born and raised. My father, grandfather and numerous uncles are minsters or deacons. Coming out was a difficult process for me, and not everyone accepts it still. But as I explained to my family the similarities between racism, sexism and sexual discrimination, the civil rights movement and the equality struggle, they get it. The might not like it, but they get it. Never underestimate people’s ability to evolve.

And if they don’t, use language they can understand:

“Stop judging, that you may not be judged. For as you judge, so will you be judged… Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?” –Matthew 7: 1-3

23. Jimmyboyo says

zeke

A month from now? My rally cries for consiliation will be tried to the testing point. By then things will settle out and any supposed dem (Taylor Marsh herself is now calling out the repubs faking they are dems to stir up division on her site)will have made their choice. Any supposed dem bad mouthing Obama at that point will find me less cordial.

Did you hear that the latest rasmussen poll has Obama ahead of mccain by 8%

There is also another poll saying 70% of Hilary supporters are now backing Obama. A good start from which obama can work from on convincing the rest over the 5 months

Today on morning joe, arch conservative George Will said that the polls aren’t showing potential voter turnout and motivation. That it will be very bad for the repubs because Obama will win easily due to excitment/ turnout.

24. peterparker says

I was a supporter of Hillary Clinton. Barack Obama is, by far, NOT my first choice for President of the United States of America. He continues to make me uncomfortable with the way he addresses the matter of marriage equality. I do not like the fact that he equivocates in this letter by saying he believes civil unions are the best way for GLBT Americans to obtain the legal benefits of marriage. His statement that “…the federal government should not stand in the way of states that want to decide on their own how best to pursue equality for gay and lesbian couples-whether that means a domestic partnership, a civil union or a civil marriage” strikes me as disingenuos. Surely Barack Obama knows that 26 states have already decided the best way to pursue equality for gay and lesbian citizens is to bar them from civil marriage and all the rights and benefits that accompany it?

And yet, Obama isn’t really saying anything that is different than what Hillary Clinton was saying. And he’s saying a helluva a lot more on the matter in our favor than John McCain who, as another poster pointed out, stumped FOR an amendment to the Constitution of the State of Arizona that would bar same sex marriage there.

But Obama is right where we want a candidate to be on the issues of DOMA (which he would repeal), the Matthew Shepard Act, Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell (which he would repeal), HIV/AIDS issues, etc… No one can say that about McCain who would likely be a *disaster* on those issues for our community.

So, even though Barack Obama is not my first choice for President of the United States, I can assure you that come November I will be in a voting booth pulling the lever (or punching the chad) for Barack Obama. He is the best choice we have at this point. Anyone who can’t see that should have their eyes (or maybe their head) examined.

OBAMA in ’08!!!!!!!!!

25. GregV says

To Disappointed: He’s a politician, not a church deacon. The only kind of marriage the government authorizes is civil marriages. Same-sex couples already get married in churches (or not) according to whatever any given church decides (just as also happens with interracial marriages such as Obama’s parents had). The state has no say in religious marriages.

Obama is FAR better than the alternative, and he is a step in evolution toward the right direction. I am a little disappointed that he doesn’t come right out and accept FULL equality (how would he view a politician of the 1960’s telling his parents that they could have the federal governement acknowledge their “union” but NOT their marriage like white people get?).
    I expect that ten years from now Obama will realize that only full equal rights under the same laws are acceptable. But more importantly, his nominations to the Supreme Court will not be zealots. John McCain’s favorites on the bench are scary, and he says that’s what he’d be giving us more of.

26. says

“he says he won’t stand in the way of “civil” marriage. still reserving the church for heteros. that’s not full equality.”

Disappointed, we’re fighting for civil marriage not religious marriage, because marriage rights are civil rights not religious rights. Churches are free to marry, or not marry, whomever they please. (Despite erroneous arguments to the contrary by religious bigots.) Obama’s statement is not about “reserving the church for heteros.” Getting married in a church is a separate issue (straight people can’t get married in any church of their choosing either) and should have no bearing on the election. He was likely trying to be clear about the issue since many people conflate (some quite intentionally) legal and symbolic meanings of the word “marriage.”

27. paul says

Maybe Jason is just a “typical white person” like Obama’s grandmother, so you can’t really blame him for making generalizations about people. They’re bitter, you know, and guns and religion can only go so far to heal that.

Also, it’s pretty funny how McCain (McSame et al) and Hillary (Hitlery et al) can be slurred with derisive monikers, whereas when someone referred to Obama with his own initials (BHO) on here the other day, he was attacked. It’s beyond a double standard.

The Hussein angle is ludicrous, so even if someone was attempting to use it in a derogatory way, it’s not worth giving the credibility of arguing.

Bob Barr 2008, Hillary Clinton 2012

28. says

When Vermont was considering “marriage” vs “Civil Unions” back in 2000 (when no other state had either) I argued against separate but equal, and I still support marriage that dares to speak its name. If, however, civil unions were completely equivalent to marriage at the Federal level (as Obama claims to support here), I could probably live with that for a while.

Currently there is no difference in terms of real rights/benefits between a CU from Vermont and a marriage from Massachusetts because neither is recognized at the Federal level and DOMA prevents their recognition in other states that don’t want to recognize them. Taxes, inheritance, social security, immigration rights, portability – all of these are important. I’d be happy if all civil marriages, gay and straight, were called civil unions, but that actually would require straight people to give something up, and that’s not likely to happen.

Obama does say that he “will use the bully pulpit to urge states to treat samesex couples with full equality” and that states can decide on their own “how best to pursue EQUALITY for gay and lesbian couples” – not how best to deny them equality through mini-DOMAs such as McCain supported in Arizona and California.

29. Jimmyboyo says

Paul

Barr the author of DOMA who was forced by the libertarian party to renounce it so he could get on their ballot.

Yeah right

To say Hillary 2012 is to say that you do not think Senator Clinton is honest when she says she will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to get Obama elected and help him to be succesful. Hillary has gone so far as to say through an aid that she will travel and stump for Obama every single day if he wants. Your 2012 comment = you think Your own supposed prefered candidate is lieing.

There are many other options to POTUS. If she doesn’t want VP, there is always trying for 1st female Secretary General of the UN after serving as US ambasadore to the UN.

30. paul says

From Jet magazine, May 1994:

[“While a recent poll showed 59 percent of all Americans feel religion is important in their lives, Black religious experts told JET they feel the percentage is even higher for Blacks.

Dr. Clarence Newsome, dean of the Howard University Divinity School in Washington, DC, ventured to say the percentage of Blacks who say religion is important in their lives is probably higher than the 59 percent found in the general population.
    “That 59 percent does not accurately represent Black America,” he began, adding, “Blacks still have a higher percentage rate, at least 80% or more, when it comes to participation in organized religion, their belief in God and the power of prayer to change situations.”]

So, I don’t know what this Jet magazine is, or where this Howard University place is, but clearly they are racists just like Jason!!

Then to make things worse, some website (http://www.pridesource.com/rssarticle.shtml?article=30619) has this posted on it:

[“Heterosexual African Americans are more likely than whites (65 percent vs. 53 percent) to oppose marriage equality for gays and lesbians. They “are virtually the only constituency in the country that has not become more supportive over the last dozen years, falling from a high of 65 percent support for gay rights in 1996 to only 40 percent in 2004.”]

I hope it made everyone feel better to attack Jason for his “racist” comments. Now please notify Jet magazine, Howard University and the National Black Justice Coalition that you will no longer stand for their racism either.

31. Bill Perdue says

Obama’s presidency will be a repeat of the failed Nixon Presidency. Obama, like Nixon, is a consummate liar. The voters will expect a lot of him and when he fails to deliver…

He won’t end the war, which remains the central question of US politics. He said so himself. Asked if he’d promise to have the U.S. military out of Iraq by January 2013 — more than five years from now, he said. “I think it would be irresponsible (to state that).” Continuing the war is lunacy and murder but he’ll do it. Just like Nixon.

The economy is in a steep nosedive and the bad news is that it might crash and burn (and good luck to all of us if it does). Both Democrats and Republicans support tax breaks for the rich, union busting schemes like NAFTA, deregulation of corporate predators and other policies that are directly responsible for the economic crisis. Obama’s big contributors, Goldman Sachs, Lehman Brothers and JP Morgan Chase and Company are all deeply involved in the foreclosure/sub prime disaster that threatens everyone’s standard of living.

The backdrop for Watergate was an economic crisis fueled by the war in Vietnam. Just substitute Iraq to bring it up to date. Just like Nixon.

Obama and McCain are both lap dogs for the HMO’s and Big Pharma and opposed to socialized medicine. The health care crisis is a vital concern to most Americans. Obama is on the wrong side and will stay there.

Both parties are run by bigots but in the last two years the Democrats ran Congress and they hit the “DELETE” button whenever we were mentioned. They refused to repeal DOMA and DADT, gutted ENDA and then junked it and the Matthew Shepard hate crimes bill (AFTER it passed both Houses of Congress). They mulishly oppose same sex marriage even though polls show the public is moving in our direction.

Like all Democratic candidates Obama is far to the right of most Americans. The more he lies and the more popular he becomes the more likely it is that his presidency will fail.

That is assuming he can get past the Bradley Effect. The Clintons exploitation of race baiting was hit and miss but the Republicans are past masters of that kind of filth and the racists are coming out of the woodwork for this election. The racists running the Republican Party have already done polling to see how much they can get away with.

32. le_sacre says

it’s depressing to get a glimpse into the minds of irrational voters. good lord, people: can you make at least a token effort to put aside your bias and consider facts, objectivity, policy, and maybe even the fact that Clinton endorsed Obama?

i’m glad we have some time to mount pressure on these irrational voters to THINK for a minute. “sitting this one out” or “writing in Hillary’s name” are not messages, they’re an utter abdication of responsibility. the policy difference between Clinton and Obama was very narrow (universal health care notwithstanding), and both are worlds apart from McCain, whose Bush-toadying is as despicable as it is baffling. honestly, i haven’t heard a third as much LGBT talk from Hillary as from Obama–he’s really been actively using it as a metaphor to reach out to people about equality and unity.

so it seems like the only thing that makes people reject Obama for the general election is mindless loyalty to Clinton–and how did she earn it? explain in specifics, please, not unsubstantiated generalities.

and as for anyone who would consider voting for McCain, or abstain from voting: well, i don’t know how to help you. you’re lost. open your eyes and look at the facts. we couldn’t afford Bush’s term in the first place–we need a major change to start to fix things. McCain used to be a halfway-respectable senator, but the campaign (and his inexplicable Bush loyalty) have utterly transformed him. he would be a disaster.

33. 24play says

The gaping flaw in Comrade Perdue’s worldview has been exposed!

“Like all Democratic candidates Obama is far to the right of most Americans.”

I wish, Comrade. I wish.

34. FunMe says

Simply put, any gay who does not vote for Obama is no thinking of the country’s overall well being..

There are a lot of things at stake other than gay issues. Obama might not be 100% there regarding gay issues, but I believe he is the most changeable on gay issues. He will do things for the country that will benefit EVERYONE.

As Matt stated above at 9:25:05 AM, one needs to consider the major issues facing our country that are more important: war, high gas prices, the economy, election of Supreme Court justices, etc. These are the main issues.

Gay marriage will happen, and with a Democratic president you won’t have major roadblocks like with McCain.

Doesn’t matter, Obama is going to be US President period.

Hello, who wants McSame anyway?!

35. le_sacre says

@Bill: Obama’s not left enough for my taste, either, but you can’t deny he’s the best mainstream candidate we’ve seen in quite some time. he’s definitely more progressive than Clinton, Gore in 2000, or Kerry.

where’d you get the 2013 quote? his plan looks pretty good to me:

his health care plan is disappointing in not going far enough towards universal coverage, but it opens the door by creating a national plan available to all.

of course the dems in congress aren’t flocking to gay marriage–their political careers would not survive, because the public support is just not there yet. but they did stand up to the FMA.

our major LGBT victories tend to come from the courts (traditionally the defenders of minority rights)–so let’s ELECT a candidate who would appoint judges and justices we can live with. i shudder to think what would happen in a McCain presidency. our most progressive SCOTUS justices, Stevens and Ginsburg, are 88 and 75 years old. THINK ABOUT THIS.

36. le_sacre says

clarification: in first paragraph, i was referring to Bill Clinton, not Hillary. and i meant “best *nominated* mainstream candidate.”

37. Cory says

Funme, I hear you, these petty posters who are so desperate for more of McBush are too ,much. But, then again, they are the same ones who are not voting for O not for his polices as he and HRC have almost the same stand on most issues, they are not voting for him because he is black, the same ones who hurl the most vile of racial slurs chance they get on this site.

If, he is not the candidate for you vote for who can do the job better, but, since it seems most of these rants are racially based, that’s as disgusting as the anti-gay stance of McCain. Sexism, homophobia and racism are the bread and butter of the GOP, and, people will vote for that party because of some perceived slight of HRC? Wow, get over it, if Hillary is going to work for a McCain free America, all decent people can.

38. Jimmyboyo says

Latest Rasmussen poll

Obama ahead of mcsame mcshame 8%

latest Gallup poll out today

Obama ahead of mcbush 2.0 by 6%

70% of Clinton supporters are now supporting Obama. many of the rest will also join in. The majority of deaniacs back in the day hated Kerry with a passion and swore they would never vote for him. In the end many of the self same deaniacs ended up voluntering for Kerry at the polls.

Things are looking great

39. Michael Bedwell says

OK, I was going to leave this thread alone. While very much appreciating the efforts of some “Obama Preferers” such as JimmyBoyo and Zeke to take the high ground, I realized that others were too fond of their hatred of Hillary to ever let it go and nothing I could write would change that.

But they aren’t asking for our hard work [and money] to make them President, yet after reading this allegedly new letter from Obama I am very concerned.

Those concerns will not prevent me from voting for him over McShame—for the truth remains that at his worse he is better than any Repug at his best. HOWEVER, Obama’s continued misrepresentation of what he’s actually done in relation to us gives me great concern about what he will DO for us once elected—particularly when he will be immediately challenged by, among others things, an economy in crisis and the literal life and death issue of Iraq.

Specifically: no matter how many times he claims it, no matter how many believe him [which I’ve repeatedly seen here and elsewhere], Obama did NOT “[talk] about the need to fight homophobia when [he] announced [his] candidacy for President, [nor talk] about LGBT equality … to parishioners at Ebenezer Baptist Church.”

Per his official campaign Website, this is exactly [and only] what he said in the first instance in Springfield:

“We’re distracted from our real failures, and told to blame the other party, or gay people, or immigrants.”

And at Ebenezer:

“We have scorned our gay brothers and sisters instead of embracing them.”

Of course, both of those statements are appropriate and admirable. But NOWHERE do they reference “the need to fight homophobia” nor “LGBT equality.”

What he has ACTUALLY said and done are reasons for supporting him, reasons for hope, but Obama for President supporters, including myself, will be continuing to nail McShame for his misstatements and false claims. Obama must be held accountable for his own willful mistakes if we are to expect anything more than smilefucking once he’s elected.

40. Jimmyboyo says

24 play

mars comment = poor taste / sore winner

paul

sans watergate, Nixon was had some good points as a president

1) Started the EPA Environmental protection agency
    2) talked to China an defused a serious esceltaing catastrophe with them

Just to name 2

The funny thing is the repubs of today would label Nixon a marxist tree huger and refuse him entry to their party

41. Matt Hicks says

There is really so much unknown with Senator Obama. Questions unanswered, why did his campaign use Donnie McClurkin (or however you spell it), why does he see the equality in marriage a matter of semantics (blacks and whites couldn’t marry before but now they can but they get the word marriage, not civil unions) see LOGO Presidential Forum on their site, I watched it on air. And I have heard that he refused to have his picture taken with the mayor of San Francisco, because of his close ties to the LGBT community. I haven’t made my mind up but if Hillary is not on the ticket, then I might sit the Presidential election out, but vote for other offices. I am just scared that he may be a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

42. 24play says

Uh, Jimmy, I was making fun of YOU not her.

Hillary could be Secretary General after serving as UN ambassador! She could be a reality show star! She could be a supermodel! She could be a floor wax! She could be a dessert topping! She could be a floor wax AND a dessert topping!

43. says

I have seen much less Hillary-bashing in this thread than Obama-bashing.

MB/LF: let’s not quibble. I can read those statements you quoted as addressing homophobia, even if not in so many words. At least Obama mentioned gay people a) in his announcement of candidacy and b) in the unfriendly environment of a traditional black church.

Obama’s comments at Ebenezer Baptist Church are in the context of racism, which he also doesn’t mention by name, and anti-Semitism, which he does. It’s very clear he’s talking about homophobia, as Andy and others realized.

And that was not the only time he addressed gay issues in a non-gay forum.

44. says

All I have is my vote and my reasons for doing so. In November I just take pride that I am able to vote and not be killed for it.

Regardless of how any side may be upset for not voting for their candidate you should always be happy when people do vote.

I am anti-apathy.

Vote this fall. Write-in anyone if Obama or McCain or anyone else does not fit the bill.

Have a great week everyone.

45. silverskreen says

I have to say that I am definitely one of Hillary’s supporters who has been extremely angry and bitter about the way things went down. Very much so. I’ve been ranting left and right about how I won’t for Obama because I don’t believe he’s a tenth of the man he claims to be or that his supporters and the media portray to be.

THAT said, hearing Hillary speak on Saturday and then all the crap that comes out of McCain’s mouth just makes it damn impossible to vote for him. I love this country more than I dislike Obama and his tactics. While I don’t think he’s the best thing for this country, I know McCain is the worst thing we can do for it.

I’m being a brat about it, but I’m definitely more in line to vote for Obama. Voting McCain is just ludicrous ( and no, not the rapper, I know you were all thinking that).

I am still a bit taken a back by all the back and forth going on between Hillary and Obama supporters.

To the Obama supporters who continue to badger the Clinton supporters: What’s you’re f’n point? Is your candidate not the friggin nominee? Why go on and on about bashing Hillary and her supporters? Is that somehow working for your cause? Idiots.

And stop with the Roe vs. Wade crap. Where was all the concern for womens rights and standing up for them when all the sexism and misogynistic crap was flying all over the place? Save the faux righteous indignation.

I ONLY speak for MYSELF when I say this, but whenever there was a sexist or misogynistic comment made about her, personally, and it was accepted or dismissed, it felt like one more example of where it was OK to call someone a fag or make some other homophobic remark. Because if you can say that about a white female running for office, what aren’t you going to be allowed to say about an GLBT person?
    I think that angered me most of all. That we can talk about unity and change and are guilty of division and discrimination in the same breath.
    But yeah, I’ll get off my soap box on that (or cross, which ever is higher).

To the angry Hillary supporters: believe me, I totally get it. But I wish you would go back and read some of the posts on pro Hillary blogs that are still going strong and calling Obama all sorts of vile racial and misguided names. It really makes me sick. We are no better than the ones who called her all the vile sexist things if this goes on.
    I am in total agreement that he is not the man he says he is, and with many more things that we don’t need to get further into. BUT, what ever he may be, please take a hard look at what McCain is. McCain is NOT our friend or ally. In ANY shape or form. Do not help punish this country because we are angry.

46. Noel says

Well, on the 7th of June… but better late than never, but it does raise questions about how important LGBT matters figure into Obama’s agenda. Give it a thought!

The Hillary Clinton campaign released its statement on Gay Pride Month on the first day of the month — You can read it here: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=21311611971&ref=mf

As we begin Gay Pride Month, I join the LGBT community in celebrating an historic year in which our country continues to make progress towards the fair and equal treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans. Still, we have so much work to do. I look forward to working with the LGBT community to make sure that all Americans in committed relationships have equal benefits and that nothing stands in the way of loving couples who want to adopt children in need. We need to expand our federal hate crimes legislation and pass a fully-inclusive Employment Non-Discrimination Act. And finally, we need to put an end to the failed policy of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. Courage, honor, patriotism and sacrifice – the traits that define our men and women in uniform – have nothing to do with sexual orientation.

To each and every LGBT American, I say this: You have done so much to help this country understand your lives by simply being open and honest about who you are and living your lives with dignity. Thank you for your courage. It is time that we recognize your hard work. I know that this country is ready for changes in the law that reflect the evolution in our hearts. You deserve a government that treats you with the respect you deserve.

America deserves a President who appeals to the best in each of us, not the worst; a President who values and respects all Americans and treats all Americans equally no matter who they are or who they love. That is truly the promise of America.

47. le_sacre says

why is Obama “not the man he says he is”? do you just mean that no one could live up to that hype?

it’s the job of a politician to project what the people will choose (and to an extent lead them to what you think they *should* choose). what, you think Hillary’s campaign maneuvers and displays of emotion were anything less than calculated? get real, people. it’s politics.

i used to rely solely on policy to make my voting/supporting choices. in fact, i preferred Hillary for a while because her health care plan had a coverage mandate (this was after i preferred Kucinich, then Dodd, then Edwards from the pool of remaining candidates). but the office of president is, to a certain extent, fundamentally *about* image and rhetoric. as Bill/Hillary showed in the 90s, a president’s ambitious health care plan is only as tractable as the congress it’s presented to; but Bill increased our international standing. Obama’s undeniable charisma has actual power to do more than that: not only could he patch up international relations (which any viable Dem could do), but he could rally and inspire. there’s an outside chance that he might get young people to believe the system can be made to work. as our history books show, a speech from a US president is not just a speech. and damn, those are good speeches.

48. Joel says

The main issue I have is that Obama did not really reach out to the community during the primary but now he will finally talk to us. He also goes on about equality for all but still does not want us to have the equal right of marriage. That I’d hard to swallow especially since he comes from an interracial parents himself which faced the same discrimation that we now face. I’m not voting for McCain but not sold on Obama either.

49. Jimmyboyo says

Silverskreen

Here and on other boards, I have at times tried to speak out against the personal attacks etc against Hillary for a while now. Have I myself been perfect at such? No. Could I have written to news agencys when they resorted to such? Yes, but alas I did not and I am sorry. Not all Obama supporters thought it was ok the way Senator Clinton was treated and seems to be being treated still by many a sore winner.

50. le_sacre says

Joel,

depending on what state you live in, not voting for Obama could well be just as bad as a vote for McCain.

i feel like he reached out to the LGBT community more than the other candidates–this letter is hardly his first campaign word on the subject! i’m hard pressed to remember even hearing Hillary use the actual word “gay” in a speech.

don’t focus laser-like on the single issue of gay marriage, which is a foregone conclusion anyway (state by state). there’s so much at stake in this election, and what’s going to make an ACTUAL difference to your life (as opposed to the president’s stance on gay marriage) is the decisions of the supreme court (and other courts). it is absolutely imperative at all costs that we don’t let McCain be the one to appoint the next justices who will be with us for decades.

51. Paul R says

Any liberal or gay person who sits out this election and/or doesn’t vote for Obama is a fucking moron. I have issues with the man too, but I’m not so ideologically pure not to recognize that we must have a Democrat in office. And guess what? He won the primary. So hold you nose, get off your ass, and vote. To do otherwise is self-destructive idiocy.

52. Vi Agara says

The fact that Obama panders to everyone is a fact, not racist. The fact that Obama is a proponent of socialist policies is a fact, its not racism. Obama is the wolf in sheeps clothing for the gay community. McCain can’t fight us to keep us down. He’s too clueless. LGBT would make great strides under a McCain presidency.

53. silverskreen says

Jimmyboyo:

By no means was that even remotely directed towards you, nor was it a generalization of Obama supporters as a whole. My apologies if it came across that way. Not my intention at all.

I’m well aware of many a thing that you’ve said and posted. Hell, I once had to get my head out of my own ass after reading one of your posts because I was so far gone in one of my rants that I’d lost sight of the fact that many of us are on the same side. So, for that, thank you. (It gets cramped in there, I tell ya)

54. says

OK, Vi, not sure what you’re smoking (and probably you’re a GOP plant), but here we go, point by point:

1. Black churches are the root of intense homophobia in the black community. That is not bullshit or racist, its a fact girls.

Perhaps that’s why Obama has spoken out in support of gay equality at black churches?

2. The fact that Obama panders to everyone is a fact, not racist.

All politicians pander to some extent.

3. The fact that Obama is a proponent of socialist policies is a fact, its not racism.

I only wish a socialist could actually win. My state (VT) has the first Independent and formerly socialist member of congress, currently Senator Bernie Sanders.

4. Obama is the wolf in sheeps clothing for the gay community.

Huh? Not one iota of proof for that. A Manchurian candidate? Sounds like fantasy to me.

5. McCain can’t fight us to keep us down.

He and his right wing cronies will certainly do their best, as they have done for the past 7 years. He will support anti-marriage amendments and appoint right-wing justices like Alito and Scalia to the Supreme Court.

6. He’s too clueless.

OK, I’ll grant you that one 😉

7. LGBT would make great strides under a McCain presidency.

As they always do under the GOP? What are you smoking? Even if some things happen under the Repubs, it’s not thanks to them.

8. Obama, like Bill and Hillary, are smart enough to sell out LGTB down the river. You will get good speeches, but nothing material.

We’ll see when he becomes president. At least the Democrats try to do the right thing. If not for the opposition of a Republican Congress, the first Clinton could have done a lot more. Damn republicans even impeached the man for sex. Let’s hope an Obama presidency and a Dem Congress actually will move the country forward, instead of standing in our way, lining the pockets of big corporations, taking us to war, destroying the environment, ignoring science, funding the religious right, etc., etc.

55. says

‘Black churches are the root of intense homophobia in the black community. That is not bullshit or racist, its a fact girls.”

As opposed to the white churches, which we all know are free of homophobia and thoroughly enlightened on gay issues, girls. Actually Obama’s church IS enlightened on gay issues, but why fuss with that fact.

“The fact that Obama panders to everyone is a fact, not racist.”

Politicians pander–stop the presses! But, see, I prefer the ones who pander to me (Obama) as opposed to the ones who pander to right-wing fundamentalists (McCain).

“Obama is the wolf in sheeps clothing for the gay community.”

And your proof of this is? Is he going to turn into Pat Robertson once he’s elected?

“McCain can’t fight us to keep us down. He’s too clueless.”

Now there’s a good reason to vote for him! If we’re lucky, his VP choice will be in a coma. However clueless McCain may be, the people he surrounds himself with and the Supreme Court judges he will appoint aren’t likely to be clueless and aren’t likely to be on our side.

Like I’ve said before, if you’re a Republican who doesn’t care about gay rights, McCain is your man. Otherwise, there is no justification for any gay person to vote for him aside from irrational hostility towards Obama.

On a side note, does Viagara cause dangerous swelling of the brain? Just asking . . .

56. Jimmyboyo says

silverskreen

:-)

Everybody else

Obama is partnering with Elizabeth Edwards on the UHC issue. Makes one think something bigger and better is in the works for Hillary. VP? UHC was / is Hillary’s biggest platform. The Obama campaign voiced an idea of her taking the lead on it in his administration. Now? VP might be it.

Oh and Kucinich is delivering 35 articles of impeachment for Bush right this moment live on cspan on the floor of congress. 35 articles!

57. chrisnyc says

wow, most of you are literally retarded.

yes, don’t vote or vote for mccain. I hope you like laying in the hospital without your partner.

Or that you don’t mind your faghag using a coathanger when she finally gets pregnant (McCain has stated he wants to overturn Roe).

Or that you don’t mind all those hot military boys dying in yet another senseless war.

But, yes, go make your point that you wanted hillary or don’t like black people, by fucking yourself, your friends, and this country. that’ll show ’em.

oh, and, hello, the Constitution guarantees religious freedom, the government can’t and shouldn’t tell churches who they should religiously marry. If you don’t understand how that goes both ways, I’m confused how you figured out how to turn on the computer.

58. Bill Perdue says

Le Sacre – According to the Pew Research Center Report “Dems Debate Iraq Withdrawal Timetable” by Richard Auxier September 27, 2007 “Iraq emerged as a central issue in Wednesday’s Democratic debate in New Hampshire. Tim Russert, who moderated, brought a new angle to the discussion by asking the candidates if they could pledge that by 2013 — the end of their first term as president — there would be no U.S. troops left in Iraq.”

“Russert’s question first went to Illinois Senator Barack Obama, who would not make the pledge to have all troops removed by 2013. “I believe that we should have all our troops out by 2013,” said Obama, “but I don’t want to make promises not knowing what the situation’s going to be three or four years out.”

“Senator Hillary Clinton of New York also would not pledge to have all troops removed. “Well, Tim, it is my goal to have all troops out by the end of my first term,” said Clinton, who agreed with Obama that it would be difficult to make such a pledge without knowing what she would inherit as president in 2009.“

“Former North Carolina Senator John Edwards said, “I would have our combat troops out of Iraq over a period of several months, and I would not continue combat missions in Iraq.” He would not, though, commit to the 2013 pledge.”

Similar articles appeared in the many media outlets. Google.

Link to

for Rep. Maxine Waters who says “There’s Not a Dime’s Worth of Difference Between Hillary and Obama on Iraq. “ by Glen Ford, writing in the Black Agenda Report. It explains in clear terms why the Obama-Clinton-McCain program of ‘phased withdrawal’ is a lie meant to dupe those clueless enough to believe politicians at election time.

There’s a six to one Republican majority on the California Supreme Court. The Chief Justice, who voted for us, was first appointed by Ronald Reagan. So much for the the bogeyman scare tactic of a hostile court.

59. le_sacre says

ok, this is way out of date, but having just found your response, Bill Perdue, i can’t let that stand here.

“bogeyman scare tactic of a hostile court”? and then you compare california’s court to the SCOTUS?

Lawrence v texas was a 6-3 decision that included O’Connor in the majority. if it happened today, with Alito instead, it would have been 5-4. if it were to have been decided after a McCain administration replaced Stevens OR Ginsburg (the two oldest justices at 88 and 75), we would have lost, without a doubt, absolutely. i don’t see how you could argue otherwise.