News | Thomas Beatie | Transgender

Pregnant Trans Man Thomas Beatie to Give Birth Shortly

Beaite

Pregnant transgender man Thomas Beatie is less than a month away from giving birth and a slew of new images of Beatie at home and about have been published by the UK tabloid News of the World.

Beatie2Said Beatie: "I'm 36 weeks now and almost due but I feel fantastic. Every day Nancy and I think about how we just cannot wait to hold our daughter for the first time, to finally get to touch her and see her face. We have her nursery ready and her diapers are lined up in her bedroom. Everything is ready to go. We have even picked a name which we both love—although we're waiting until she is born before we tell anyone. All the people who really know us and love us, our friends and family, have been incredibly supportive. So much so we might even have more children. We will just see what the experience is like with our daughter's arrival first and then give it some thought."

Good Morning America did a segment on the photos of Beatie, but felt the above image of Beatie shaving was a bit much for their viewers.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. it don't mean a thing if she ain't got that schwing.... do wa do wa do wa do wa do wa....

Posted by: the queen | Jun 9, 2008 11:59:56 AM

2. I don't mean to sound unsupportive, but this picture makes me think that, what with all the hormones he has taken to become a transgender man, it can't be good for the bun to be baking in that oven.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 9, 2008 12:06:48 PM

3. Supposedly he/she stopped hormone treatments once they discovered the pregnancy. If that is so, then why the need for a morning shave? I'm pretty "live and let live" but it seems obvious that the couple is loving all the media attention. Maybe the child is just the after thought?

Posted by: Don | Jun 9, 2008 12:10:50 PM

4. She is gross. And I do mean she.

Posted by: Blair | Jun 9, 2008 12:23:54 PM

5. If I recall correctly, Thomas stopped taking hormones a few years ago when they first tried getting pregnant.

But I'm confused about the shaving too... I don't know enough about hormones but I would have thought facial hair would stop growing if he stopped taking them. Anyone know?

Posted by: crispy | Jun 9, 2008 12:31:14 PM

6. A pregnant woman. This is big news.

Posted by: paul | Jun 9, 2008 12:39:56 PM

7. If there were any doubt that Beatie is an just another cheap media attention whore, this latest "release" of photos answers that question.

As long as the child is healthy, the pregnancy itself is the business of "him" and his partner, but what purpose do yet more photos serve BEYOND ego-stroking attention? Will we be treated to bloody delivery room close-ups, too, [with or without an artificial constructed penis above the baby's protruding head] and year after year of "Child of Trans Attention Whore Has Another Birthday" candids?

NOT helping not scaring voter horses!

Posted by: Leland Frances | Jun 9, 2008 12:40:47 PM

8. Yeah, I'd hate to be that kid, created purely to make a buck. This is about a very mercenary human being who is whoring out his/her life for cash. The shaving photo is perfect evidence. Talk about sleazy.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 9, 2008 12:59:47 PM

9. Finally, people are seeing through this charade. I think Leland put it best in his comment about "...year after year of 'Child of Trans Attention Whore Has Another Birthday' candids" coming our way. I still do not understand why the trans man chose to attempt to conceive unless there is a more long-standing history of this guy seeking affirmation through the attention of strangers.

At first look, this WAS fascinating. Now it's looking more and more like a good old attention grab. I am trying to be open-minded about the couple's sincerity in this situation but their continued willingness to encourage media coverage is starting to tarnish their true motivations, I think. I hope for the kid's sake that they love him as much as they possibly can - with or without ongoing media attention.

Posted by: seeldee | Jun 9, 2008 1:06:29 PM

10. No doubt he/she was paid for the photos as a media stunt (though the pregnancy is probably real). He/she apparently has no interest in everyone leaving him/her alone or keeping this a private matter. This should give people pause.

Anyway, the growth of facial hair is due to the masculization of follicles from testosterone. This is irreversible, as would be gynecomastia from too much estrogen taken by a man. So, even if he/she stops taking it, the hair will keep growing. The voice drop from thickening of vocal chords is also irreversible. However, the presence of ovaries and the taking of testosterone together must be a wicked brew of hormones.

Posted by: anon | Jun 9, 2008 1:07:00 PM

11. i'm always amazed by the trans hateration among gay men.

especially calling Beatie a she because he doesn't have a penis.

i know this isn't universally accepted, but i believe in using the pronound preferred by the transgender in question. ftm's can't really get functioning penises because the science isn't there. it's not their fault they can't get the genitalia they want. they should still be able to adopt a male pronoun and male gender (which is different than biological sex) if they so choose.

/2 cents

Posted by: Alex | Jun 9, 2008 1:23:16 PM

12. Yeah, these are the two people that were so adamant about wanting their privacy to protect their child... I wonder if we'll find out what this is REALLY all about before or after the birth?

Posted by: David B. | Jun 9, 2008 1:26:49 PM

13. I'm all for them, but I'm sick of seeing all these stupid staged photographs.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 9, 2008 1:27:40 PM

14. Wow there are some really fucked up transphobic comments here. shouldn't we leave that bullshit for the Phelps' of the world?

Posted by: stephen c. | Jun 9, 2008 1:30:15 PM

15. If it's got a uterus and milk glands capable of producing milk no matter what happens to the exterior(surgery or not) or amount of testosterone taken it's a FEMALE!!!! Stop calling this person a "man"! In those pics we basically are seeing a topless woman shaving and taking a bath. Can't people realize this is not a NORMAL functioning human being? This is a sick, disgusting and twisted individual....

Posted by: Jess | Jun 9, 2008 1:30:37 PM

16. This freak show is exactly why we will be hailing President McCain this time next year.

Posted by: brad | Jun 9, 2008 1:33:04 PM

17. Thank you Fred Phelps.. ahem.. Jess.

Posted by: Stephen C | Jun 9, 2008 1:33:42 PM

18. It is tough, Alex and Stephen to call Beatie a "he" (the preferred term) when pregnant.

I've said it before, that as a gay man i do not feel that I identify with trans people, or that I have to.

I feel for those who feel they are in the wrong body, but this sort of half-and-half isn't right. A topless pregnant person shaving in a photograph is freaky. Our cause (trans included) does not benefit from the attention given to this attention-whore.

Posted by: Dan B | Jun 9, 2008 1:44:30 PM

19. These photos are not good for the GLBT movement, people do not want to see this stuff. This will set us back 20 years!

Posted by: Ty | Jun 9, 2008 1:47:21 PM

20. I am no phobic. Don't you dare compare me to Phelps. I've never heard of him and, after looking him up, in no way agree with what he says, examples: "Thank God for 9/11", "God hates fags," "AIDS cures fags," and "Fags die, God laughs (or mocks)." God does not hate anyone. I am stating my opinion which I am sure other people in the world agree with. If you don't like it, so what.

Posted by: Jess | Jun 9, 2008 1:48:31 PM

21. Calling a transperson a sick and twisted individual is a bit much, no?

And as far as transgenders setting back gay rights, remember it was the trannies that started the Stonewall Riots.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 9, 2008 2:00:17 PM

22. I don't think it is...there are different levels of it. This person isn't a serial rapist or killer so by "sick and twisted" I mean at the very least. I'm done trying to defend my words. Just move on already. All I hope is that the baby ends up being healthy and brought up without being showcased to the media and not a money maker for this couple.

Posted by: Jess | Jun 9, 2008 2:08:55 PM

23. If these comments reflect the general audience of this blog, I am grateful to NOT be a regular reader of it.

The sensationalism of this story may be getting out of hand, but in no way does that make it appropriate to make juvenile comments about Beatie's gender or sex.

Posted by: Kelly | Jun 9, 2008 2:41:21 PM

24. wow, some of the people here are seriously pathetic. A person having a child is not detrimental to the gay rights movement, a person shedding light on the complexities of a transperson's journey through life ( which includes reproduction)is not detrimental. I personally think that while the pictures are a bit much for me ( although I think the one of him in the tub is pretty artsy ) I believe that it just adds one more example of the diversities of the American family. The gay community itself is it's own worst enemy, pathetic bare backing methheads are the communities worst enemy. Bitchy queens who refuse to acknowledge anyone with respect are detrimental are harmful to the community. Gays who practice racial intolerance ( and you know who you are ) are harmful to the community. A person having a kid is not detrimental to the gay community. Please people at the end of the day this is simply a story about people trying to start a family, get over yourselves.

Posted by: Pekemo | Jun 9, 2008 2:43:11 PM

25. Fertility treatments ain't cheap - nor is the accompanying medical care. Beatie's first attempt at pregnancy led to tubal triplets and nearly killed him. Although this second pregnancy seems to be okay - Beatie's suggestion that they just might try again seems disingenuous (just like their repeated claim that there's nothing strange about their family in the context of self-sought coverage with a well-stoked freakshow subtext). The Beatie's were likely paid a small but helpful amount for their photos - and someone is going to have to support the child once it's born. Attention-whore parents are never a good thing. That daughter has one frustrating life ahead of her...

Posted by: kipp | Jun 9, 2008 2:47:26 PM