News | Religion | South Carolina

South Carolina to Get State-Sponsored 'I Believe' License Plates

Sclicense

Via Raw Story: "South Carolina's lieutenant governor announced Thursday that he is willing to put up $4,000 of his own money so his state can become the first in the nation to issue "I Believe" license plates with the image of a cross and a stained glass window. The legislation allowing the plates was one of several religious-themed bills to became laws in the closing days of the state's legislative session. The bills mean South Carolinians attending local government meetings could soon see the Ten Commandments and the Lord's Prayer posted on walls, pray without fear of being sued and drive home in cars with the "I Believe" plates. Civil rights groups are considering lawsuits."

In other unsavory, South Carolina news, the state is apparently trying to figure out legal ways to ban gay-straight alliances.

And of course, the tragic news earlier this week of the lenient sentence leveled against gay bashing killer Stephen Moller.

(image via Pam's House Blend)

Comments

1. I really need to get out of this fucking state.....

Posted by: CLEMSONAJ | Jun 13, 2008 9:08:16 AM

2. Whatever happened to separation of church and state? Another victory for the fundamentalist Christian right?

Posted by: Steve | Jun 13, 2008 9:12:07 AM

3. This is great! Now I know exactly which cars to flip off.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 13, 2008 9:14:23 AM

4. Fighting this is easy-squeezy. Simply petition the South Carolina legislature for a license plate that says "I Believe" with a symbol for the Jewish, Muslim or Buddist or any other legit religion and if they refuse - sue!! It's high-larious that the Xtian Right think this is some sort of holy victory when all they are in store to is a shitload of lawsuits that will, trust me, win.

Posted by: Joe | Jun 13, 2008 9:23:44 AM

5. i would love to move there and get those plates---and put "I Don't" on them!! You could have a field day with intersting vanity plates!!!

Posted by: dc-20008 | Jun 13, 2008 9:25:25 AM

6. Let us Pray...

Posted by: Thom | Jun 13, 2008 9:27:58 AM

7. Can I get a HAIL SATAN plate?

Posted by: Roscoe | Jun 13, 2008 9:31:33 AM

8. What next, a Rebel Flag? South Carolina and the so called backwards religious, intolerant bigots are too much. If, they could rid the hate and judgmental attitudes in thier hearts, it would be one thing, but, since hate is the only family value they have and cling to, this is just disgusting. Too bad that can't practice what their holy book tells them.

Posted by: Sebastian | Jun 13, 2008 9:44:25 AM

9. Indiana has had their own version for years. "IN GOD WE TRUST" as quickly become the state's most requested speciality plate.

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 13, 2008 9:52:48 AM

10. Sebastian, you forget; they re-wrote the Holy Book to serve their purposes, and it's the only book they go by.

The only thing I have ever made a concerted effort to do with SC is; when I have to drive between New England and Florida, I ensure I have to stop and take a dump somewhere in that state. That's about all SC is good for.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 13, 2008 9:56:08 AM

11. I don't see a problem with this as long as they allow other religions to have license plates as well if they so choose. I don't see any problem with any religion expressing a higher power. I stress anyone. If other religions can't have a license plate then this one should not exist. These plates are also a great source of revenue for states because they usually cost more and can help fund badly needed programs. These plates fund Dept of Transportation projects and Peachcare for kids in my state.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 13, 2008 10:04:49 AM

12. i'd like to see a SATAN LOVES YOU, TOO plate...

Posted by: the queen | Jun 13, 2008 10:06:40 AM

13. This was clearly a most pressing issue, which is why the guy put up his own money for it.

I mean, its not like there's charities you can donate to or anything when so many oppressed Christians are driving without god on their license plates.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 13, 2008 10:25:22 AM

14. It's worth a visit to the SC Dept. of Motor Vehicles to look at the other plates. EG: Secular Humanist, Bob Jones University, Sons of the Confederacy, In God We Trust, and (my personal favorite) Shag.

Posted by: JT | Jun 13, 2008 10:26:22 AM

15. I had forgotten about the "In god we trust" plates. Some municipalities especially here in the upstate have gotten into some trouble because they issue them without offering the normal plate.

Makes me wonder how Gov. Sanford plans to spend the extra money that the state has earned by pandering to that demographic. No doubt it will be in defense of marriage or something dumb like that.

Posted by: CLEMSONAJ | Jun 13, 2008 10:35:46 AM

16. Has anything or anyone good ever come out of this state? No. Well, maybe James Brown, but, no one else . And, I think that Moslems, Jews, atheists and out gays, if any would live in such a place, should get plates, see how long this one would last.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 13, 2008 10:43:09 AM

17. MATT,

South Carolina does not have any intent or plan to offer this type of plate to any other religion.

Although you are correctly asserting that 'vanity' or 'special interest' plates are a great source of revenue for states and the interests they support (i.e. Firefighters, Lake Tahoe in CA, etc), SC will offer these "I Believe" plates for just $6 or $7 - barely the cost of production - and surely SC will not fund any programs in need except The Christian Church.

Interesting, the law was enacted, per the S.C. Constitution, without the signature of Governor Mark Sanford, a Republican, who said in a letter to Glenn F. McConnell, president pro tem of the Senate and a fellow Republican:

"While I do, in fact, ‘believe,’ it is my personal view that the largest proclamation of one’s faith ought to be in how one lives one’s life.”

Others have stated that by offering these plates, The state (South Carolina) is illegally endorsing religion.

Posted by: I before E | Jun 13, 2008 10:43:57 AM

18. JOE, why limit it to "legit" religions and who gets to decide what a "legit" religion is? Where do the atheist fit into all this?

MATT, there is a problem with it because it is a blatant endorsement of religion. It doesn't matter if they allow plates for other religions or not. And again, what about atheists? As for your silly claim that this was going to raise a lot of revenue for the state, try doing more research. The DOT has been directed to charge only $4 - $6 for the plate to cover the cost of production, therefore it will not help fund anything.

The Governor and the Lt. Governor made no bones about it that this was a statement of Christian faith on behalf of the State.

Along with this legislation the State in the same session passed laws allowing the ten commandments AND the Christian "Lord's Prayer" at any State site or function. They passed a law allowing Christian prayers to be officially said in schools and at State events.

Do you still think this is all hunky dory?

I'm a Christian and I sure as heck don't.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 13, 2008 10:44:07 AM

19. MATT,

Posted by: I before E | Jun 13, 2008 10:46:40 AM

20. This plate, actually this EXACT design, was first proposed in my state of Florida by Rhonda Storms, the same homophobic witch who banned Hillsborough county from acknowledging gay pride when she was a county commissioner here. She is an extreme right-wing, homophobic fundamentalist. The funny thing is, her sister in law goes to my church and she is a liberal and gay supportive as she can be and she can't stand Rhonda. She hates that Rhonda shares her last name.

Even our Republican dominated legislature killed the bill for the I Believe plate.

This from a state where plates are not to endorse political organizations or political movements YET has plates like "Choose Life", "Family Values", "Family First", AND GET THIS ONE "Focus on Family".

Oh there's no political movement behind any of those plates!

This is typical "do as I say, not as I do" Republicanism.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 13, 2008 10:57:33 AM

21. I SWALLOW

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jun 13, 2008 10:59:36 AM

22. Zeke,

I can't help but ask, What is Rhonda's sister's name?

Thunder?
    Snow?
    Hail?
    Electrical?
    Scattered?
    Intermittent?

Posted by: 24play | Jun 13, 2008 11:32:57 AM

23. This is probably constitutional given a recent Supreme Court ruling, but to be safe, they need to offer the symbols of other faiths as options. The problem is with the artwork, not the text.

The weird thing is that given the lack of diversity of faiths in SC, this is sort of like fellow choir members saying they have the faith to each other. Why bother.

Posted by: anon | Jun 13, 2008 12:03:48 PM

24. The "In God We Trust" plate in Indiana is actually very new. And disgustingly popular.

Posted by: Billy | Jun 13, 2008 12:25:30 PM

25. 24PLAY, Rhonda's sister isn't a "Storm". That's Rhonda's married name. It's her sister-in-law that attends my church.

But I think Rhonda's middle name is "Sh*t".

; )

By the way Rhonda doesn't spell her name "Rhonda" but I can't remember and frankly don't care to take the time to research how SHE spells it because I don't respect her enough to care that much.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 13, 2008 1:00:31 PM