Apple | News

Steve Jobs Unveils 3G iPhone

3g2

It's official. Quicktime stream of keynote.

Check out the liveblog from the WWDC here.

Comments

1. Best part: It's only $199!

Suck on that, early adopters!

Posted by: crispy | Jun 9, 2008 3:54:24 PM

2. The phone is going to be equivalenty $199 USD everywhere in the world, which is great. Still, in America you get a "locked" phone for that price, but I've heard Apple will sell "unlocked" phones in Australia as well as Belgium (where it's illegal to sell locked phones), so why would I buy one locked to AT&T in America?

Posted by: Tyler Strickland | Jun 9, 2008 4:06:03 PM

3. Crispy,

Early adopters ALWAYS pay the high price initially... It happens with almost all electronic/gadgets that enter the market. It happened with Blackberries, Treo's, etc...

Posted by: Osman | Jun 9, 2008 4:07:10 PM

4. I'm more startled by how thin Jobs is looking. His doctors gave him the all-clear a few years ago after his pancreatic cancer (the non-terminal kind) was caught and removed. But as a recent Fortune article pointed out, Jobs was less than candid about his health with Apple shareholders when his prognosis was more uncertain.

I sure hope he is OK. Valleywag says his wife has put him on some crazy Vegan diet so that might be the cause. (Having to eat the shit they make you eat would make anyone commit suicide, so I hope counselors are on stand-by.)

Posted by: Dan | Jun 9, 2008 4:07:32 PM

5. I'm underwhelmed - Apple has done the bare minimum to bring the iphone in price, speed, and features up to its smartphone competitors. I know it's only been a year, but I expected a little more "wow."

Posted by: scientitian | Jun 9, 2008 4:10:51 PM

6. Scientitian,

Apple is still FAR ahead of the competition in consumer electronics. The major competitors still can't compete with the iPhone and its technology. Think about how much a cell phone upgrades itself in a year and think about what the iPhone is now going to be able to do.

Apple is a revolutionary company. You'll realise the "wow" soon enough.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 9, 2008 4:16:00 PM

7. My company is going to buy me one of these when they hit the stores! I'm psyched!

Posted by: Blockmeister | Jun 9, 2008 4:18:10 PM

8. total Apple fanboy here - got an iphone a couple of weeks after they came out last year, and love it to pieces. only one complaint. NO MMS!!!! STILL??!! WHY??!! it kinda kills me. i just wish someone would explain what's keeping them from adding that most basic of features. also a little bummed about no video capabilities.

it could be PERFECT but now it's just really good.

i know, i know. imagine how my bf feels...

Posted by: buzz | Jun 9, 2008 4:40:35 PM

9. Osman,
    Yet still they complain. :)

Posted by: crispy | Jun 9, 2008 4:52:03 PM

10. Yeah, I'm kinda bummed that the new one for the same storage (16GB) is gonna be considerably cheaper but that's the way gizmo-economics has always worked. I read that the new price is reflective of the iPhone being subsidized by AT&T.
    After reading the new features, I totally forgot to look for the MMS feature or lack thereof. (Thanks, Buzz) I'm thinking that too is an AT&T controlled feature. Kinda like how you can't access iTunes over Edge. AT&T was probably crying that it would suck up too much of their bandwidth for those features. Although no audio/video recording is just plain silly.

Posted by: JohnOB | Jun 9, 2008 5:01:21 PM

11. Tom:
    Apple is far ahead in terms of marketing and product aesthetic, but there are plenty of other smartphone manufacturers doing Apple a one-up right now. The iphone is by far the most popular smartphone, but there's no longer anything exceptional about it or its technology.

Posted by: scientitian | Jun 9, 2008 5:19:03 PM

12. Here is me being a geek: It's a cool phone, but I dunno if it's worth me picking up a new one just yet, though. After all, I don't use it for corporate use (which is mainly the big upgrade) and the 1st generation is already thick enough - this one is thicker, but with tapered edges. The GPS is a nice touch, however it's GPS-A (assisted), so if you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, you might want to keep a Thomas Guide handy.

Now, here's me being a total sucker for pretty things: It looks wicked cute! And the commercial is nice, too! :)

Posted by: damien | Jun 9, 2008 6:06:34 PM

13. SCIENTITIAN,

to say "there's no longer anything exceptional about it or its technology" is pure playa-hatin'.

you completely discount the importance a well-designed UI plays in a technological device, and the iPhone's UI is, in fact, exceptional. the design, ease-of-use, and yes, aesthetic appeal are all remarkable and for me and a few others, more than worth what we shelled out for it.

even i bitch about the shortcomings i perceive in the iPhone, but i realize that no piece of technology will be all things to all people - it's about hitting that sweet spot. the iPhone is well on its way to finding that sweet spot, IMHO.

Posted by: buzz | Jun 9, 2008 7:56:19 PM

14. CRISPY...I guess I'm an early adopter given that I bought an iPhone the first day they came out...I could not care less that the new iPhone is less expensive because the current model has been so effing useful over the past year...whenever I'm traveling, the google map feature helps me find my way around an unfamiliar city...the phone works great (with the exception of the speakerphone which is a joke)...I can take (great) pics with the camera AND send them as attachments with an email...the internet is always available...and not only can I carry my music around with me, but I can also BUY MUSIC at the iTunes Store using my iPhone...all in all, I've had a great time using my iPhone over the past year and I can't wait to buy the new model on July 11!

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 9, 2008 8:16:10 PM

15. I like it, don't know if I'm giving up my v1 just yet tho..the 3G is cool but I'm on wifi all day anyway. More excited 4 the updates. It sux that it's so cheap now too, there goes the exclusive aspect of the phone. Uncle steve did look much thinner..hope he's ok.

Posted by: daveynyc | Jun 9, 2008 8:20:50 PM

16. as the iPhone continues to become cheaper and less exclusive the possibility of getting mugged for it will decrease.

Posted by: A.J. | Jun 10, 2008 9:10:01 AM

17. I guess the 3rd or 4th version will have video recording capabilities. I'll wait till there is an unlocked version.

Posted by: Bob West | Jun 10, 2008 11:00:51 AM

18. (The way it was explained to me from a relative that works for AT&T is) the $199 is a subsidized price, so if you would like to buy the phone unlocked (and obviously without the two year contract) you will have to pay a much higher price for the phone.

Posted by: RP | Jun 10, 2008 12:06:37 PM

19. PS While I glad to see they wisely added GPS to the iPhone; I still would like to see what will come of Google's Android.

Posted by: RP | Jun 10, 2008 12:08:05 PM

20. I bought v1 the day it came out, yes one of those dorks who stood in line. And I don't care how much I paid for it. It was worth it to have this phone. There are no other smartphones that are anywhere near this in America. Period. They are coming along a year later with a few that have touch screens but clearly do not have the quality of craftsmanship that went into this one.

I'll be buying v2 the day that one comes out. I echo the complaints over no MMS technology but I just email pictures I take since nearly all of my friends have blackberries or iphones anyway. Video recording should have been the one addition on this version, but I'll take it.

In as much as some early adopters complain about price reductions, there are as many non adopters who always say they will wait for the next version and spend that time walking around using their ugly RAZR phones that cost $300 when they first came out.

Posted by: Logan | Jun 10, 2008 6:23:00 PM