Hockey | Magazines | New York | News | Sean Avery | Sportrait | Sports

The Diary of Sean Avery, Hockey Player and Vogue Intern

Sean_avery_2

Sean Avery, the New York Ranger pro Hockey player-turned Vogue intern, has an entertaining diary up at Men's Vogue with some equally as entertaining photos in various states of undress.

Writes Avery: "The cafeteria in the Condé Nast building — which houses Vogue and Men's Vogue and Vanity Fair and The New Yorker and about every other magazine you've ever heard of aside from The Hockey News — is filled with some of the best-looking and best-dressed women in New York. Even aside from that distraction, my first attempt at getting lunch didn't go so well. You see, I needed two trays to hold my plates of beef stroganoff and my salad (which alone could probably feed four) and my two bottles of water and my Jello for dessert. To have two full trays in the Condé Nast cafeteria is like seeing a hockey player wearing skinny jeans — it just doesn't happen. And while my stick-handling on the ice keeps getting better and better, my tray-handling leaves a bit to be desired. I still can't find the girl who fled the cafeteria with beef stroganoff spilled all over her, but just in case she's reading this: You can find me on the twelfth floor, and I owe you a new outfit. I now limit myself to one tray at a time."

One more shot, AFTER THE JUMP...

Sean_avery_3

In the Crease [men's vogue]
(images: Hannah Thomson - Men's Vogue]

Comments

1. Beef Stroganoff, indeed.

Posted by: 24play | Jun 23, 2008 5:54:33 PM

2. OK, are those Manhunt shots or Men's Vogue shots...because both seem as equally staged for full "Look at me, I am a jock" potential...
    What is wrong with this whole weird story....this is like that show Bosom Buddies from the 80s...sure, you are living in a building with a bunch of hot chicks but you have to dress like one to fit in... Everytime this dolt has to open his mouth it's to reaffirm, HEY I might be getting dickslapped by Anna Wintour on a daiy basis, but I get an eyeful of hot poon in the process (grrr), and even though I have to trapse through that delicate Conde Nast Gehry designed cafeteria, I eat a MANSIZE tray of BEEF STROKIN-OFF (subliminal?) and sometimes I'm dorky enough to spill it on a girl (CAVEMAN BAD!!)....

This fluffpiece has more double entendres than an all day marathon of MatchGame78 on Game Show Network....

Posted by: Randy | Jun 23, 2008 5:55:09 PM

3. This dude is clearly making every attempt to try to MARKET himself as the new, younger David Beckham. Shirtless pics, fashion,..."hey I'm a jock, but I'm really into haute couture...". It's a smart move because most people won't see through it, but he is clearly trying to create an image to fill the void left by an ageing, married, Becks.

Posted by: Brad | Jun 23, 2008 6:27:12 PM

4. David who?

Posted by: 24play | Jun 23, 2008 6:33:15 PM

5. Randy - you're funny. you're right and you're funny.

Posted by: ben | Jun 23, 2008 6:55:44 PM

6. I think Sean is hot. He has taste and a metrosexual who plays hockey. He can't be David because he doesn't have the looks or the body. With all the skating he might have comparable gluts, but we haven't seen them. Why do we have to be PC all the time? If I worked at Vogue I'd be scamming hot models too except they'd be guys.

Posted by: Jewels Vern | Jun 23, 2008 8:24:29 PM

7. I think Sean is hot. He has taste and a metrosexual who plays hockey. He can't be David because he doesn't have the looks or the body. With all the skating he might have comparable gluts, but we haven't seen them. Why do we have to be PC all the time? If I worked at Vogue I'd be scamming hot models too except they'd be guys.

Posted by: Jewels Vern | Jun 23, 2008 8:25:25 PM

8. Damn!
    A hockey player who can write... how hot is that!

Posted by: Fred | Jun 23, 2008 8:38:42 PM

9. "So that's what I learned. And if you'd like to learn something, consider this: If you feel like teasing this hockey player about an obsession of his that you might think is a little unusual, go right ahead. Just know that you may get your ass kicked by a very expensive pair of shoes — and that they'll probably match both my belt and my shirt."

Priceless!

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 24, 2008 10:42:18 AM

10. I don't care if he signed on to get bitch slapped by Anna or whether or not he writes his own copy (not!), I want to know who does his hair? And don't ever look for killer abs like Beckham or Ipana smiles a la Lopez; Sean is a crazy-as-a-loon hockey stick wielder, not a pretty boy waiting for his close-ups. This Vogue biz is a gimmick that will read as un-funny as his lunchroom entries. Otherwise, buy season tickets. They need the business.

Posted by: Prince | Jun 25, 2008 8:55:55 AM