David Letterman | Kiss | News | Will Smith

BigGayDeal.com

Will Smith to Letterman: 'Once you Go Black, You Never Go Back'

Willsmith_letterman

Will Smith joined David Letterman last night and opened their chat with a kiss, followed by a joke that they "should go on their Honeymoon" together, and plenty of other wink-wink, laugh-out-loud gay entertainment.

Image via Celebitchy, where there's more...

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Straight men are so weird.

Posted by: Sasha | Jun 24, 2008 6:20:09 PM

2. What makes you think he's straight?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 24, 2008 6:51:05 PM

3. This is the same actor who wouldn't kiss another actor in Six Degrees of Separation, although the gay kiss was important to the plot. Will Smith fits into the same category as Tom Cruise, actors whose phoniness and egotism outweigh their talent. What a shame that gay people think we have to allow this sort of nonsense and tee-hee, giggle about it.
    This is ridiculous!

Posted by: Pierce | Jun 24, 2008 6:56:01 PM

4. he's an idiot and a closet case.

Posted by: lagrk | Jun 24, 2008 7:17:52 PM

5. Not a Will Smith fan. Never have been, really doubt I ever will be. Now Cuba Gooding is a whole other story...

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 24, 2008 7:30:30 PM

6. Pierce - I was thinking the very same thing. His refusal to do the thing that was core to the character and the story for whatever lame reason he gave at the time, weakened an incredible play and movie. Chaos/Control. Chaos/Control.

Posted by: ben | Jun 24, 2008 7:31:17 PM

7. Pierce, I third your comments! My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: Nick | Jun 24, 2008 7:38:12 PM

8. Scientological self-loathing closet case (a triple redundancy).

Posted by: rudy | Jun 24, 2008 7:52:37 PM

9. I get why he is such good friends with Tom gayCruise..they both have a bizarre out-of-place maniacal laugh and they both NEED to reaffirm their masculinity over and over and over and ...you get my point.

Posted by: John | Jun 24, 2008 7:53:15 PM

10. Why so much hate? I think Will Smith is a good actor, who occasionally makes a good movie. I saw nothing wrong with this skit and I don't know why people would feel the need to bad mouth him.

He made Six Degrees when he was in his twenties, who in their early twenties is all that comfortable with their sexuality? Not me, that was when I was just figuring it out really.

Lighten up and just laugh a little.

Posted by: Steve N | Jun 24, 2008 8:10:37 PM

11. I agree with Steve N. Why is everyone so awfully quick to pass judgement? So, he may be an insipid actor who may or may not be a closet case. He still seems like a genuine and likeable guy, and until he proves otherwise, I'll refrain from putting him down for no good reason.

Posted by: Ben | Jun 24, 2008 8:37:41 PM

12. My first post: Andy, thanks for a great blog. Saw this last night: Letterman has made me laugh for years, and this was organically fun and comedic. It all started with Letterman's genuine awe of how great Will Smith looks and went downhill/uphill from there - depending on your sense of humor. (Or lack thereof, haters....ahem.) I got a kick out of both men last night.

Posted by: Leo | Jun 24, 2008 8:48:40 PM

13. Sour grapes anyone? Just because Jada has Will and you can't makes some blind to funny, liberal humor. Will Smith is very secure in his masculinity and has no qualms in showing/acting the lighter side of gay actions. And for those who criticize his not kissing in "Six..." - was it THAT important to the movie and his performance?

Get over yourselves......and have a good laugh at a positive portrayal of gay rapport!

Posted by: ADRIAN | Jun 24, 2008 8:52:05 PM

14. My best pal worked with him on his upcoming movie, 7 Pounds (or something like that), and he's been in love with WIll SMith ever since. Apparently, Smith is the most approachable celebrity he's worked with. They had a long conversation about transexuals the first time they met during lunch - which Smith had with the rest of the cast/crew, instead of cordoning himself off in his trailer.

Posted by: damien | Jun 24, 2008 8:59:58 PM

15. May he stay in the closet! Six Degrees of Separation was not acceptable. He was supposed to be an actor, not a twenty year old homophobic ass.

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 24, 2008 9:27:18 PM

16. i have to agree with steve n. it's amusing to see some of these queens getting their collective panties in a bunch over a couple of guys indulging in some good-natured homo shtick....

Posted by: the queen | Jun 24, 2008 9:31:58 PM

17. Will Smith in some article that I read said that he regretted not doing the kiss in six degrees. I will find the link and post to it when I get time.

Posted by: DB | Jun 24, 2008 10:05:19 PM

18. Will Smith in some article that I read said that he regretted not doing the kiss in six degrees. I will find the link and post to it when I get time.

Posted by: DB | Jun 24, 2008 10:05:36 PM

19. There's only 1 week left to vote in America's Gay Bachelor contest! 51 single, sexy and sophisticated guys from around the U.S. and you choose who you want to be named America's Gay Bachelor of the year!

5 finalists will be flown to San Diego for the finale at the W hotel during San Diego Pride. Logo will help present the finalists at a party on the rooftop Beach Bar with DJ De Leon, Effen Vodka hosted bar , and Bloomingdales styled runway show featuring the 2008 America's Gay Bachelor finalists!

Celebrity Judges Jesse Brune of Bravo's WorkOut, and David Bromstad of HGTV's Color Splash will weigh in to choose America's Gay Bachelor 2008.

VOTE TODAY: http://www.mypartner.com/AmericasGayBachelorVote~state-michigan.html

Posted by: Joe F | Jun 24, 2008 10:09:29 PM

20. Love Will Smith. So he didn't kiss some guy in a movie a hundred years ago? Big deal. The movie was just fine without it.
    Get over yourselves people.

Posted by: TeamWill | Jun 24, 2008 10:56:35 PM

21. I don't love Smith and never will. You miss the whole point by accepting his homophobia,which wasn't "a hundred years ago."

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 24, 2008 11:25:07 PM

22. well he has obviously changed his stance on kissing men so forgive him already!

Posted by: alan brickman | Jun 24, 2008 11:29:21 PM

23. We're so quick to pass judgement because we have no patience with shitheads.

Especially closeted shitheads.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 24, 2008 11:43:41 PM

24. This cheek to cheek kiss is awesome. I mean, is awesome that anyone make the slighest buzz about it.
    Six Degrees... it was director's fault also. Or casting fault. I think there were plenty of much (much much) better actors for the role, if given the opportunity. And they had to rely on him? No excuses.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Jun 25, 2008 2:19:36 AM

25. Yeah, I've read too that Smith regretted not doing the kiss in "Six Degrees", because his agent at the time told him if he kissed a guy so early in career then it'd be career suicide or something to that effect. Sure, it would've been nice for him to do the kiss in the movie, but it's not like it wasn't blatantly obvious what sexuality his character was.

And why is EVERY single actor a closetcase. It's as if you guys (the ones who accuse every celebrity of being gay) must go around wherever you live just assuming every man is gay. If they act straight it means they're putting on the act, if they make a joke it means they're hiding, if they mention anything gay-related it's proof that they are. Get over it. Most men are straight. It's just a fact of life.

The interview was actually quite fun. The gay angle was light hearted and fun, not in the mean-spirited sort of way that Jay Leno does it.

I imagine a lot of the people criticising Smith are the kind of people who love movies like "Not Another Gay Movie" and think Lance Bass isn't merely a fame seeking nobody.

I'm not a fan of Smith's movies for the most part, but I'd rather moviestars be like him than 95% of the rest out there. When was the last time you saw Will and Jada getting a coffee or shopping for groceries?

Posted by: Glenn | Jun 25, 2008 4:28:24 AM