AIDS/HIV | Elton John | Food & Drink | News | Vermont

Elton John Gets Ben & Jerry's Flavor: Goodbye Yellow Brickle Road

Eltonben

Ben & Jerry's wanted to salute Elton John for finally playing the state of Vermont (he's apparently played in all 49 other states) so they have created an ice cream flavor based off one of his greatest classics:

"The limited-batch ice cream, made from 'an outrageous symphony of decadent chocolate ice cream, peanut butter cookie dough, butter brickle and white chocolate chunks,' is a take-off on his 1970s album and song 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.' It will be available from July 18 to July 25 in the company's Vermont scoop shops, with proceeds going to the Elton John AIDS Foundation, officials said Tuesday."

He'll play Vermont on July 21. His Top of the Pops "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" performance from 1973, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I loves me some Elton John!! Thanks for posting that clip. =)

Posted by: sparks | Jul 15, 2008 10:07:09 PM

2. GOD, the talent this man has....amazing.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 15, 2008 10:38:11 PM

3. GOD, the talent this man has....amazing.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 15, 2008 10:39:28 PM

4. More like "Hello Dirty Back Road". Sweet Jesus! Someone alert Focus On My Anus that militant activists Ben & Jerry are using ice cream to promote the homosexual lifestyle to our nation's children. ICE CREAM! What's next? Bruce Vilanch Hershey's Bars?

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Jul 15, 2008 10:40:11 PM

5. "Based off"? I think you mean "based on". Along with the increasing usage of "first off" instead of "first of all", this annoys me to no end. Were you not, like, an editor or something once?

Posted by: wordfreak | Jul 16, 2008 1:39:45 AM

6. Only available in Vermont!? :-(

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Jul 16, 2008 3:59:26 AM

7. the thought of Elton's pudge turns me away from ice cream.
    and he's got awfully bad taste.

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 16, 2008 8:37:15 AM

8. Based on/pissed off...
    I'm' with you, wordfreak - more and more, in mainstream publications, the laziness proliferates...
    beginning for me, way back, when "impact" suddenly became a verb...as in, "...that will impact on..."

..and the poor articles are dropping like flies, as in "a couple months"-- new units of measure?

then there's "I could care less" when what is meant is "I couldn't care less"...

or, "everyone can't...(do or be this or that)" when what is meant is "not everyone can..."

I think it's a losing battle, though; my sense is that people, even professional writers, are becoming less and less concerned with being specifically articulate and clear - and often don't really think about what is actually being spoken or written...

Now, who's up for a road trip to vermont? That ice cream sound pretty fantastic...

Posted by: kile Ozier | Jul 16, 2008 8:44:11 AM

9. sounds!

Posted by: kile Ozier | Jul 16, 2008 8:46:19 AM

10. why why why do so many Ben & Jerry's flavors have to have a chocolate base???
    I like vanilla. I like butter pecan. I like caramel. I h*a*t*e chocolate ice cream (but love chocolate anything else).

Posted by: shamika | Jul 16, 2008 9:01:44 AM

11. Does it taste like young and prolific Elton or old bitter Elton??

Posted by: Lito | Jul 16, 2008 9:37:52 AM

12. I thought rainbow sherbert for Sir Elton John, KBE would have sufficed >:oP

Posted by: TOMMY | Jul 16, 2008 11:04:29 AM

13. Didn't your parents always warn you not to eat the yellow brickle?

Posted by: NotElton | Jul 16, 2008 11:29:21 AM

14. Blah! Doesn't sound too good.

Chocolate is an all-purpose flavor in ice cream to hide variations in ingredient amounts allowing them to get rid of left-overs.

Posted by: anon | Jul 16, 2008 12:51:06 PM

15. "Goodbye Belt Buckle" might be a more appropriate name for this artery-buster.

I think the graphic they used for him on this packaging is probably twenty years old, at least. Maybe they should feature what he looks like now, considering they're pushing this high-fat cholesterol-loaded product. Or maybe they can make up a batch with some of his liposuctioned assfat.

Otherwise, yeah, it sounds like they're simply using up all the leftovers from the freezer to make this treat.

Posted by: DwH | Jul 16, 2008 1:54:53 PM

16. Thats soooooooooooooo NOT fair to only have it for a few days and only in Vermont, bring that shit to NYC!! Im a loyal customer and would definitely buy that flavor, B & J doesnt have enough peanut butter stuff. Stop putting chocolate pieces w/peanut butter, give me chocolate ice-cream w/peanut butter dough or plain peanut butter, stop w/the Reeses already. Bring Eltons flavor everywhere.

Posted by: GYPSY | Jul 17, 2008 5:42:18 PM