Barack Obama | Bill O'Reilly | Election 2008 | Jesse Jackson | News

Jesse Jackson Issues Preemptive Apology for Remarks About Obama

Jesse Jackson has issued an apology for remarks about Barack Obama that were apparently caught on tape by a FOX News reporter over the weekend that reportedly criticize the senator for lecturing on morality at Black churches. The remarks are to be aired tonight by Bill O'Reilly, who's likely salivating over the attention.

Obama_jacksonSaid Jackson: "For any harm or hurt that this hot mic private conversation may have caused, I apologize. My support for Senator Obama’s campaign is wide, deep and unequivocal. I cherish this redemptive and historical moment. My appeal was for the moral content of his message to not only deal with the personal and moral responsibility of black males, but to deal with the collective moral responsibility of government and the public policy which would be a corrective action for the lack of good choices that often led to their irresponsibility. That was the context of my private conversation and it does not reflect any disparagement on my part for the historic event in which we are involved or my pride in Senator Barack Obama, who is leading it, whom I have supported by crisscrossing this nation in every level of media and audience from the beginning in absolute terms."

Jackson told CNN later: "This is a sound bite in a broader conversation about urban policy and racial disparities. I feel very distressed because I'm supportive of this campaign and with the senator, what he has done and is doing. I said he comes down as speaking down to black people. The moral message must be a much broader message. What we need really is racial justice and urban policy and jobs and health care. That's a range of issues on the menu...Then I said something I regret was crude. It was very private. And very much a sound bite."

UPDATE: I've added the O'Reilly clips AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is the greatest gift Jackson could have given Obama.

If Jackson weren't such an egomaniac, I'd have to assume the whole thing was staged.

Posted by: 24play | Jul 9, 2008 6:08:14 PM

2. Won't be watching O'Reilly for obvious reasons, but I can't wait to find out what "Jessay" said. Probably some shit about Obama being "too hard" on black sperm donors who don't want anything to do with their kids. I'm pretty certain the word "white" was thrown in as well, as if the fact that dead beat dads come in all colors should curtail any criticism of the black ones by a black civic leader. Same bullshit, different political opportunity.

Posted by: chas | Jul 9, 2008 6:21:54 PM

3. Jesse Jackson, Bill O'Reilley and Barack Obama couldn't be more irrelevant to the problems faced by the American people and the rest of humanity of they tried.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 9, 2008 6:23:39 PM

4. At the heart of it, I suspect that the ego of Rev. Jackson has been hurt. Obama's advances have shown the old guard the door. Old power never goes quietly.

Posted by: JTluvr | Jul 9, 2008 6:28:51 PM

5. What little credibility Jackson had after his NYC Hymietown remarks was sealed by 'counseling' Bill Clinton after his affair, while Jackson fathered a bastard child. Go home Jesse, your day has passed.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jul 9, 2008 6:32:31 PM

6. just watched the story on cnn and miss blitzer said the comments were just too crude to repeat on the air which now really whets my appetite -- i'm just dying to know what he said - 'tho my imagination runs riot at the very thought -- now the general consensus was friends don't act like this and blitzer said that maybe jackson is jealous of obama's success .... hmmmm... what tea, mary!

Posted by: the queen | Jul 9, 2008 6:37:21 PM

7. Seriously, how are remarks by Jesse Jackson going to affect Obama in the least? Is it going to cause him to lose voters, black or white? No. Because Jesse Jackson is irrelevant. His campaigning for Obama probably has zero (or at least precious little) effect on increasing voter registratopm or changing voters' minds.

Jesse is almost certainly just upset because he got caught attacking another black man and, moreover, doing so in a classless way. As someone said, it's his ego that's been hurt, not Obama's campaign.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 9, 2008 6:45:58 PM

8. Reportedly, the comment included the phrase "cut his nuts out". Classy.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Jul 9, 2008 6:48:43 PM

9. I think that most of the comments are off base. I think that what Jesse said is from the heart. There are some things that Barack does, but that does not mean that I do not support his efforts.

Posted by: Nite In Shining Armour | Jul 9, 2008 7:15:52 PM

10. On bozo trash-talking another bozo. Not newsworthy.

Posted by: kc | Jul 9, 2008 7:19:24 PM

11. Nite, it is not exactly news for Jesse to say that the government and public policy play a role in the problems facing young black men. I think most people of a liberal bent would agree. That doesn't make it right for him to speak in an unproductive, potentially offensive way and not pay attention to a microphone. Then his response continues to make it all about him, and in many ways makes it sound like he's the aggrieved party.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 9, 2008 8:00:24 PM

12. So, Jesse said (paraphrase): "Obama is talking down to black people... I want to cut his nuts out."

All of that reflects badly on Jackson, not on Obama. In fact, I watched both O'Reilly and Hannity (and nearly upchucked several times) but really didn't see any outrage from anyone.

And if Faux News can't bring the outrage to a Jesse Jackson story, then you can pretty much call the issue 'over.'

Posted by: theo | Jul 10, 2008 2:12:57 AM

13. Jesse Jackson is irrelevant and needs to retire. He does nothing for black people except bring more grief with his egomaniac B.S. and air-grabbing ways. There are many far more positive black people saying and doing things the right way in this country. The news needs to focus on them for a change instead of these old, tired men who show up just in time to make it all about themselves instead of the real issues at hand.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 10, 2008 7:21:40 AM

14. Jesse "out for myself first" really needs to sit down and shut up. What a fool, and, no fool like a old one going on Fixed News and being played for the village idiot for the right wing masses. But, the good thing is he did what he does best, make himself look like a bitter, foolish, jealous onld man.

Posted by: Juan Pablo | Jul 10, 2008 10:04:28 AM

15. Jesse Jackson is a hipocrite and a scumbbag....he has the audacity to attach one of his own? What a dumbass!!!! He is done!!!

Posted by: The truth Doctor | Mar 11, 2009 2:21:01 PM