Beijing | Michael Phelps | News | Olympics | Swimming

BigGayDeal.com

Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte Buddy Up on Men's Journal

Phelps_lochte

Expect the Olympians to start hitting all the magazine covers. U.S. swimmers Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte arrive on the August 2008 cover of Men's Journal for a piece that talks about their ongoing rivalry and companionship.

Two more shots AFTER THE JUMP...

Phelps_lochte_3

Phelps_lochte_2

Slideshow here...

Phelps_lochte_4

Previously
Michael Phelps: The Big Merman [tr]
Sportrait: Michael Phelps [tr]
Phelps Smashes Thorpe Record, Americans Take Gold in Melbourne [tr]
Ryan McGinley Wins International Center for Photography Nod [tr]

Comments

1. I just read that article last night. It was unsurprisingly homoerotic.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 8, 2008 9:21:45 AM

2. Hot, hot, hot, can't wait to see them compete.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jul 8, 2008 9:44:09 AM

3. As Danny DeVito said in "Twins"; "I feel like I'm looking in a mirror!"

Posted by: Rad | Jul 8, 2008 9:57:32 AM

4. I just don't get the fascination with Phelps. Am I missing something??

Posted by: Tom S. | Jul 8, 2008 10:00:06 AM

5. The fascination is probably attributable to Phelps' talent as a swimmer, not a looker. In the looks department Ryan Lochte conquers all!

Posted by: WhatsMyName | Jul 8, 2008 10:22:27 AM

6. After seeing these two finely primed athletes, all I can say is "sandwich, anyone?".

Posted by: jason | Jul 8, 2008 10:41:57 AM

7. Are you kidding, Tom S? He may very well be the greatest athlete of all-time. Some of us have interest in sports that extend beyond our groins.

Lochte is under appreciated as a swimmer, were Phelps not competing, he would be dominating the international competition. The two of them are entirely in a league of their own.

Posted by: Dan B | Jul 8, 2008 10:55:17 AM

8. Michael Phelps has such a monkey face

Posted by: cheston@planetoftheapes.com | Jul 8, 2008 10:56:36 AM

9. Neither one of them do it. You could switch the heads and they would look no different.
    Quality swimmers though!

Posted by: carter | Jul 8, 2008 10:57:26 AM

10. It's a tad reassuring that magazines are getting beyond the "never let men touch in photos" rule that we've grown up with. You used to see athletes fraternally touching in photos all the time, but starting in the sixties it became hands-off. Str8 guys then became terrified of touching each other. Hopefully we'll see an adjustment.

Posted by: anon | Jul 8, 2008 11:40:56 AM

11. Monkey face? What an odd comment about one of America's greatest athletes. I look forward to the Olympics. But,Damn...I wish they would return to the classic Speedos! Am I the only one who thinks the new unisex suits make the swimmers look like girly-boys? Thank goodness that Michael doesn't wear the silly top. And I miss the the two tats on his groin.

Posted by: Jack Scribe | Jul 8, 2008 12:04:48 PM

12. To say that he has a "monkey face" could likely lead to a class-action lawsuit brought by offended monkeys. They can't all be Matthew Mitcham, I guess.

Posted by: paul | Jul 8, 2008 12:52:50 PM

13. I must like monkeys because I would grab my ankles for Phelps ANY day.

Posted by: David | Jul 8, 2008 12:53:37 PM

14. Neither one of them can touch that Mitchim kid from yesterday in the looks department.

And no, I don't give a shit about swimming.

Posted by: Chas | Jul 8, 2008 1:02:39 PM

15. Dan B, get real, honey! There are tons of great athletes out there, but only certain ones get posted here. I don't recall seeing one mention of Venus Williams' triumphant win at Wimbledon. It's TOTALLY about the groins!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jul 8, 2008 1:07:36 PM

16. SOULBROTHA, which records exactly does Venus currently hold? Michael Phelps has shattered the world record in nearly every event he has entered. He will no doubt end his career in 2012 the most decorated (by far) man or woman in olympic history - in any sport, ever.

You must truly only watch women's tennis to think that Venus' win this weekend was the sports highlight.

How about Tyson Gay running a 9.68 in the 100M? It was only the fastest a human being has ever run. ever.

How about Nadal beating Federer 9-7 in the fifth set in what has been dubbed the greatest tennis match ever played by some, becoming the first man in 25 years to win the french and wimbledon in the same year?

How about Dara Torres, who at 41 years old set the American record in the 50M freestyle for the ninth time in her career, 25 years after she first broke it in 1983? She is going to her fifth olympics, only two of her competitors were even born when she went to her first.

I'm a big fan of Venus Williams, but her achievement, while great, hardly compares to some others of late. She has an outstanding record on grass since 2000, but she is still only about 60% of the way to the number of wimbledon titles won by Martina Navratilova (the greatest female athlete of all time).

Posted by: Dan B | Jul 8, 2008 2:33:01 PM

17. DAN B,

exactly!

Posted by: nic | Jul 8, 2008 3:07:23 PM

18. Gary Hall beats them all.

Posted by: q4u | Jul 8, 2008 5:24:46 PM

19. Soulbrotha is just mad because some more non people of color got on the site...angry, huh?

Posted by: jmg | Jul 8, 2008 5:55:46 PM

20. BUTTERFACE ALERT!
    BUTTERFACE ALERT!
    BUTTERFACE ALERT!
    BUTTERFACE ALERT!
    BUTTERFACE ALERT!

Posted by: tomx | Jul 8, 2008 10:02:55 PM

21. Wow. Phelps looks good with that 5 o'clock shadow.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 9, 2008 5:19:55 AM

22. Both of them need face transplants, but I'd do 'em with bags over their heads.

Posted by: Brod | Jul 9, 2008 9:21:53 AM

23. Dan B, JMG,

You missed the point. My position was that posting about Phelps had very little to do with his achievements. It was about his looks (well his body anyway.) There is nothing wrong with that but call it for what it is. There are plenty of great athletes OF ALL COLORS and Venus was the first one that came to mind. (Damn JMG, how long have you been holding on to that snide remark?)

And by the way, Venus set a woman's world record that day for the fastest serve at 127mph.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jul 9, 2008 11:21:59 AM

24. Oh, and one more by the way:

Venus was instrumental in eliminating the discriminatory practice of awarding women players less money than men. They are now equally paid.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jul 9, 2008 11:42:57 AM

25. Great bodies (D'uh! They're swimmers!). Face... not so much. Yes, I'm jealous; I have neither.

Posted by: DrTheopolis | Jul 9, 2008 7:19:54 PM