Great Britain | News | Rafael Nadal | Roger Federer | Sports | Tennis

Nadal Dethrones Five-Time Wimbledon Champ Federer

Federer_nadal

Did everyone see that epic Nadal-Federer final last night? Incredible.

The Guardian reports: "There were two rain interruptions, one of more than hour, the second of less than half an hour, but the pulse of the match was unrelentingly. It might have gone either way in the fifth. Finally, in what remained of the light at a quarter past nine, Nadal triumphed 6-4, 6-4, 6-7, 6-7, 9-7, the first man since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to win the French Open and Wimbledon back to back."

In his post-game interview, which you can watch AFTER THE JUMP, John McEnroe called it "the greatest match I've ever seen in my tennis career."

According to the Telegraph, "His comments were repeated by the world's press and borne out by the huge television audience the final received. Tennis fans caused a massive surge in electricity demand after Nadal took the Wimbledon title because they were glued to their seats during the epic match. A 1,400 megawatt spike - equivalent to 550,000 kettles being boiled - was recorded at around 9.20pm, as the Spaniard lifted the trophy. The surge shows millions watched the match. It was bigger than the increase in demand at half time during this year's Champions' League match when Manchester United beat Chelsea."

Highlights below. Interview AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Congratulations to Rafa, he is worked very hard for his accomplishments. I'm static.

Posted by: Rafael | Jul 7, 2008 9:24:39 AM

2. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER JOHN MAKING A COMMENT ABOUT 1 OR 2 MINUTES PRIOR TO THE END OF THE MATCH, ABOUT RAF WINNING THE MATCH PRIOR TO IT ENDING...I THOUGHT THAT IT WAS LIVE FROM ENGLAND, AND NOT TAPED?

Posted by: CLIFF | Jul 7, 2008 9:47:16 AM

3. I stayed up until the second rain delay (around 3.30am Perth, Australia time) when, due to a bad case of flu, I was forced to go to bed, hoping to wake up to news of Rafa's deserving win. And I wasn't disappointed!

It must be so difficult to be a player as brilliant as Nadal, yet to exist in the shadow of another player as great as Federer. Rafa's dynamic style and utterly sportsmanlike temperament make him such a pleasure to watch (not to mention the smouldering Spanish good looks;) and it was such a joy to see him finally win the greatest tennis tournament on earth (third time lucky against Roger!). I was selfishly hoping for a three set knockout, so I could get some sleep, but this five set epic battle was worth staying up for. And the grace and charm both men displayed after the match is an example for young athletes everywhere.

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Jul 7, 2008 9:57:00 AM

4. I never thought I'd be more excited than the Ivanisevic/Rafter matchup a few years back, but this one took the cake. It was amazing. Congrats Nadal!

Posted by: Banne | Jul 7, 2008 10:06:14 AM

5. Huge win against the king of grass. Bravo Rafael Nadal.
    Spain is on a roll. Luis Aragon├ęs and his spanish team won the European Soccer Championships. Alejandro Valverde is sporting the yellow jersey through two stages of the Tour de France.
    Go Spain Go!

Posted by: excy | Jul 7, 2008 10:08:47 AM

6. Nightmare for the man with the most beautiful game in the history of the sport, and, to the guy with that nasty habit of digging in his backside, and a brutish style of play, yuck.

Poor Roger, looks like its all over for you and fans of your style of play and the sport is left with a player like Nadal, low class and arrogant as he is.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 7, 2008 10:36:53 AM

7. MIKE, are you high on the smell of Federer's record going down in flames?

I've seen the 2 play in Paris and Wimbledon and they are both amazing. Rafa isn't "digging in his backside", much as some would enjoy ;-), he's fixing his pants as you'd do if you played sports?

And Roger is far more arrogant that Nadal - you are a joker, I think.

Posted by: Grr | Jul 7, 2008 10:52:52 AM

8. Mike, you're kidding, right? What a ridiculous comment.

Posted by: David T | Jul 7, 2008 10:54:58 AM

9. With all due respect to the Nadal lovers, not every tennis fan is in love with him, his style of play or that nasty digging habit. I know some of you love him for his body and not the sport, but, its all about choice, and, I for one am not nor have I ever been impressed with him or anything he does and IMO he is bad for the sport.

That digging in his capri pants, get some shorts that fit, its gross.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 7, 2008 10:58:10 AM

10. I am very happy for Rafa, he will be a great champion of SW19. The match was incredible and I have great respect for both. It will be interesting to see how the hard court season plays out.

Posted by: Terry | Jul 7, 2008 11:10:05 AM

11. MIKE,

the only one who appears low-class is you. spare us your prissy dilletantism.

the match was one for the books -- one astonishing shot after another by both players. in tennis right now there are roger and rafa, then everybody else. they both comported themselves in a gentlemanly, sportsmanlike fashion througout, and in the end they were both humble and gracious -- equally respectful of each other. this was a great day for the sport.

Posted by: nic | Jul 7, 2008 11:26:53 AM

12. btw, i think roger is handsome and looked dashing in the white slacks and sweater. and rafa, well, hawt!!! i kept imagining that fantastic butt in a tight pair of jeans, with him shirtless, of course.

Posted by: nic | Jul 7, 2008 11:35:54 AM

13. Umm, Nic, boo, get back to me when you are a real man and can talk about the sport, not your version of how sexy nadal is, thanks. Catty gay men who don't play the sport or know the sport just don't cut in sports talk with that sort of shrill tone.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 7, 2008 12:02:46 PM

14. MIKE,

"real man"? you're the one complaining about a particular, personal habit of a man who should be the #1 player in the world. didn't you read my comment above the last one? what insightful comment did you make: roger good. nadal bad. yuck?puhleez. why do you think i called you a dilletant? i've played and followed tennis since before rafa was born. so i do know something about the sport.

on the eve of this historic event i have little to gain from quibbling with someone who would reduce roger v. rafa to such trivialities. it is clear that you have nothing of interest to say to me and, i suspect, to anyone who really appreciates tennis.

Posted by: nic | Jul 7, 2008 12:43:17 PM

15. Now, now boys. The joy of being a gay sports fan is that you can appreciate the play AND the more...aesthetic aspects of the game. As a tennis player and a huge fan of both Roger and Rafa, I was torn yesterday. But it was the best match I have ever seen, not only because of the play but just in sheer terms of the occasion.

And as far as Rafa's digging habit, while I personally don't care for it, there aren't a pair of shorts on the planet that could prevent a wedgie on that ass.

Posted by: homofascist | Jul 7, 2008 1:03:31 PM

16. I don't understand where the idea Rafa is arrogant comes from - his speech in victory last night was incredibly gracious in his respect for Federer. And today he flew to Stuttgart to apologise for pulling out of their tournament, even though he had a very geniune reason.

I'm not about to follow Mike into the Good vs Bad debate, but if he's going to call either of them arrogant, wouldn't the man who trumpets his 5 Wimbledon titles on his belt be more culpable?

It was the best match I've ever seen and I'm still recovering from it.

Posted by: DD | Jul 7, 2008 4:35:54 PM

17. I played and trained in "the sport" when I was young. My friend is a former Olympian. When we watch tennis together over the phone lines from Cali to NY we don't separate the sport from Nadal's amazing amazing back. Or any other athlete that we happen to find attractive.

Athleticism is in fact the showing of what a body can do physically and if one can't see that and linkage of the power of sexuality together, then more pity them.

It's not his fault that it is of such stupendous form that no shorts can comfortably coat it.

It should be deemed an international landmark and bronzed for eternity.

Posted by: Br!on | Jul 7, 2008 5:14:15 PM

18. Nic, you are boring, get back to me when you grow up and learn how the sport is played, not just how 'hot' you deem the player. So, use your lame attempt at wit for those who care.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 7, 2008 7:11:54 PM

19. I watched it through the end & it showed why I love this sport so much. I'll always be a Fed fan but Rafa deserved to win cuz he just played better in the end. While Rafa is catching up to Fed, I don't think this the end for him. He'll eventually break Sampras' record of 14 grand slams but it's just going to take a little longer because of Rafa & Djokovic. I feel bad for Fed but I think this match will get him more respect from the non-believers who disagree he's the best ever. I know I have more respect for Rafa after the match. I don't think there will ever be another match like it & I was just happy to witness it.

Posted by: scar2 | Jul 7, 2008 10:41:31 PM