Brent Rinehart | Comic Books | News | Oklahoma

OK County Commissioner Brent Rinehart's Homophobic Comic Book

Rinehart_2Earlier today I posted about Oklahoma County Commissioner Brent Rinehart's homophobic 16-page reelection campaign comic book that he's sending out to voters. The comic book features all the horrible things that gays might do and highlights Rinehart's efforts against them.

The pages also target Attorney General Drew Edmondson and his attempts to force the Boy Scouts of America to drop its anti-gay policies adjacent to a drawing of (I suspect) a gay in a toga trying to lure a young boy crying "help" out of the woods.

According to the Oklahoman: "Edmondson filed felony campaign finance charges against Rinehart last year, alleging Rinehart and his former campaign manager illegally funded the 2004 campaign for county commissioner. A trial has been scheduled for September."

I've posted two pages from the masterpiece below (via Reason Magazine), and here's a PDF of the entire book (thanks to commenter znsd). Who knew we would get to take a look at it so soon?

Brent1

Second page AFTER THE JUMP...

Brent2

Comments

1. Oklahomans must be so proud! Bigoted AND illiterate!

Posted by: wisebear | Jul 17, 2008 5:36:45 PM

2. Gotta love how they used extreme stereotypes to define gay people at the bottom of the second page.

Posted by: Philip | Jul 17, 2008 5:45:29 PM

3. How many vowels can you put in the middle of ped-phile?

Let's see, "pedaphile"? Wrong. That would be someone who likes Pakistani sweets.
    um... "pediphile"? Wrong again, though it sounds like maybe a person who likes members of a Bantu-speaking tribe.

"peduphile" would get you a lake in Malaysia,
    "pedephile" would actually mean something like gay, c/o French and presumably Francophone African slang.

"pedophiles"? but there's no connection to sexual orientation there.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jul 17, 2008 5:53:14 PM

4. Here's the whole thing:
    So very glad I no longer live in OK. Ugh.

Posted by: ZnSD | Jul 17, 2008 5:54:55 PM

5. pretty amazing. i can hardly believe it's not satire.

Posted by: le_sacre | Jul 17, 2008 6:08:19 PM

6. Oh dear, crude doesn't begin describe this. Were they drunk? Seriously, were they when they put this together?

I was prepared to be offended by Rinehart's toons but this is so embarrassingly bad I almost feel sorry for the tool. No doubt Sally Kern is rubbing her labias over this one. Sad, sad folks.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jul 17, 2008 6:14:25 PM

7. Just called his office (405-713-1502) and left a message with his very sweet receptionist. I told her that Commissioner Rinehart had misspelled "pedophile" at least twice in his comic book and that he might want to grab a dictionary to put next to his bible when he writes the next one. She replied that she had absolutely nothing to do with the comic book and offered me the phone number to his "campaign office"...(405-590-8245)...which i double-verified, and I think it's actually HIS PERSONAL CELL PHONE NUMBER. I left him basically the same message (though this time, in my rage, a few expletives may have slipped out). Feel free to call and tell the douche what you think of him. Cheers!

Posted by: shamed okie | Jul 17, 2008 6:16:05 PM

8. Holy crap! This thing is amazing! Seriously, I can't even believe it's real. It's so freaking hilarious! It looks like Charles Manson's prison doodlings. Did this Rinehart person do this himself, or did he farm it out to an asylum full of lunatics? I kind of love it a little bit.

Posted by: paul | Jul 17, 2008 6:17:00 PM

9. Yet another reason to never go to OK!

Posted by: Ted | Jul 17, 2008 6:17:14 PM

10. As an Oklahoman I can only comment to how people that have common sense view it...and that is pathetic. This guy is going to prison he is usuing the tried and tested strategy that the Republicans (which he is) have used and that is to "scare" the constituents of his district, which I'm sorry to say has worked in the past. But, I really do think that most in his district will not fall for it. He has gotten very negative press here and not very well liked. He's just grasping at strings, you just have to laugh at him, he's a joke.

Posted by: anokie | Jul 17, 2008 6:19:37 PM

11. As an Oklahoman I can only comment to how people that have common sense view it...and that is pathetic. This guy is going to prison he is usuing the tried and tested strategy that the Republicans (which he is) have used and that is to "scare" the constituents of his district, which I'm sorry to say has worked in the past. But, I really do think that most in his district will not fall for it. He has gotten very negative press here and not very well liked. He's just grasping at strings, you just have to laugh at him, he's a joke.

Posted by: anokie | Jul 17, 2008 6:21:48 PM

12. There is no apt analysis for this other than that it is certainly a victory for us.

I mean, you have GOT to be kidding me.

Posted by: JeffRob | Jul 17, 2008 6:37:34 PM

13. really ?

i mean... this really isnt a joke?

....really???

Posted by: gabriel | Jul 17, 2008 6:48:19 PM

14. It looks like something a 12-year-old redneck would have come up with. Maybe he should have asked the woman who did the drawings if she's ever drawn ANYTHING before.

I guess he had to cut corners on production values because he's a crook. This has actually improved my mood today!

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 17, 2008 7:11:00 PM

15. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: brad | Jul 17, 2008 7:20:46 PM

16. I can't believe there's something called a Roads Scholar program. (I had to look it up because this guy is clearly not a Rhodes scholar.) What a stupid, confusing name.

I think the weirdest this is his continual use of "good ol' boy(s)" in a perjorative sense. In most places in the South that term isn't associated with liberals and gays. Like I bet his county is just crawling with flamboyant, out gays demanding "special" rights.

Posted by: Paul Rl | Jul 17, 2008 7:26:47 PM

17. Brett Rinehart sets of my gaydar. He's got that undeniable "closet gay" or "closet bi" look about him.

Posted by: jason | Jul 17, 2008 7:28:36 PM

18. LMAO! How is that shit real?!? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Posted by: Jason | Jul 17, 2008 7:43:05 PM

19. well. What kind of "get out the vote" fear-mongering tool is this supposed to be? Hell, I was laughing my ass off by page two!

This dude must be a clown to think this even has a chance of winning over any voters.

...and I can't stop laughing. .. .. ..

Posted by: Mark | Jul 17, 2008 8:12:20 PM

20. For some reson I think this will ensure that he looses the election

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jul 17, 2008 8:15:03 PM

21. HELP!
    HELP!

Posted by: johninmanhattan | Jul 17, 2008 8:16:53 PM

22. this is so sad.

Posted by: stu | Jul 17, 2008 8:30:07 PM

23. How much do you want to bet that Mr. Rinehart here is a self-hating, bitter, closet-queen. IMO, the fixation on anal sex often gives it away ... if so, feel almost bad for the man; he may be so closeted whereby he's never even acted on what he knows is his true self and feelings, in which case the bitterness would reach almost unbearable levels and one of the manifestations could be these silly drawings. I'm sure it's a lot harder being gay in places like Oklahoma.

Posted by: markt | Jul 17, 2008 9:17:44 PM

24. Wow! What's scary (and make me question my own sanity) is I find it to be a brilliant advertising piece. It's highly effective of getting his points out there, off-the-charts buzz, and absolutely ensure every voter will know his name and his issues..even if it screams "Hi! I'm a fucking nut job who's also up on felony charges and yet I'm asking for your vote another time!" This dude is way beyond being a homophobic asshole with a truckload of axes to grind with the good ol' boys. Hopefully Oklahoma has a decent psychiatric prison ward after the AG has no choice but offer a plea deal of criminal insanity. Can you imagine what his testimony would be if he did take the stand in his own defense. One more time, Wow!

Posted by: Mark | Jul 17, 2008 9:18:46 PM

25. I bet I could get him out of the closet.

Posted by: robmistersnob | Jul 17, 2008 10:11:15 PM