News | Transportation

Qantas 747 Makes Emergency Landing in Manila with Gaping Hole

Qantas_3

Passengers on a Qantas flight from London to Melbourne had a scare last night when a massive hole appeared in the belly of the plane shortly after leaving a stop in Hong Kong. The plane then depressurized and plummeted 15,000 feet before the pilot landed it safely in Manila.

Said one passenger: "There was a terrific boom and bits of wood and debris just flew forward into first (class) and the oxygen masks dropped down. On the left-hand side, just forward of the wing, there’s a gaping hole from the wing to the underbody. It’s about two metres by four metres and there’s baggage hanging out, so you assume that there’s a few bags that may have gone missing. It was absolutely terrifying, but I have to say everyone was very calm."

NOTE: Thankfully nobody was hurt on the Qantas flight. I know I don't normally post this kind of item, but I've been receiving quite a few emails recently as to the resolution of the problem I had earlier in the month with Jet Blue. My luggage has not yet been found, and will likely never be recovered. I'm in the process of making a claim. A bad situation, but at least it wasn't accompanied by the terror these souls had to go through.

Clip of the Qantas jet, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. No surprise. There have been many reports in the Australian media recently suggesting a decline in the standards of Qantas maintenance due to outsourcing to Asian suppliers. It seems it's only a matter of time until there's a serious accident.

Posted by: Jimbo | Jul 25, 2008 8:07:13 AM

2. I recommend the book Ask the Pilot by Patrick Smith - it's a compilation of Q & A from his newspaper column about flying. There are lots of questions in the book related to aircraft maintenance, safety, and previous crashes. We are all exponentially safer traveling by plane than by car on the ground.

Posted by: Keith | Jul 25, 2008 8:25:46 AM

3. I too lost my luggage this last June on a non-stop Southwest flight. It was never found and I slogged through the claim process. When all was said and done, I received a settlement check....less depreciation! Never mind that I had to replace all the lost items with new....Southwest told me that everything is depreciated 10% for every year you owned it. Note to self: never, ever check your luggage. If you must and need to file a lost luggage claim, dont be honest as to the age of the item!

Posted by: Rugger | Jul 25, 2008 9:16:49 AM

4. Wait was this an EXplosion or an IMplosion?

This sounds eerily similar to the Lockerby terrorist bombing...

Posted by: David B. | Jul 25, 2008 10:02:28 AM

5. Reminds me of the movie The Twilight Zone with John Lithgow.

Maybe it was an alien troll who did that.

Posted by: Maverick69 | Jul 25, 2008 10:39:48 AM

6. I'm relieved that no one was hurt. The pilot and crew should be commended on a safe landing.

If I'd been on that plane, the article would have read differently: "It was terrifying, but everyone remained calm, except for one American we had to anaesthetize with barbituates and Tanqueray after he soiled himself. He kept screaming he was 'too young to die,'" whereupon the passenger rolled her eyes and made looping motions with her finger by her left ear.

Posted by: AG | Jul 25, 2008 1:09:22 PM

7. I guess Rain Man was right. Qantas the safest airline.

Posted by: Alan | Jul 25, 2008 1:23:13 PM