Advertising | Basketball | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

That Ain't Right, Nike

Nike

More homophobic advertising, this time from Nike. This one has been seen on phone booths in Harlem.

The ads were created by Wieden + Kennedy studio. You can see more in the series here. None are as overtly homophobic but all of them play upon how awful it is that a man's face might be close to another man's crotch.

(via the gay recluse and queerty)

Comments

1. Juvenile? Yes. Homophobic? Maybe? Anti-gay? No. These ads are about heterosexual men caught touching and smelling each others sweaty bat wings and funky booties. They are to try that special deodorant powder we talked about the other day.

And they've only been seen in Harlem? Where, in Bill Clinton's neighborhood?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 22, 2008 11:10:48 AM

2. I have boycotted Nike for years. They were under pressure to account for the mistreatment of workers in their third world factories and flatly refused to comment or give any sense they cared. Their high paid spokes person, pillar of humanity, icon of virtue (dripping with sarcasm) Michael Jordan was asked in a press conference about it. Jordan, devoted father and christian said "That's not my part of the business". I guess me meant that cashing big checks is HIS part of the business.

Posted by: Rikard | Jul 22, 2008 11:17:44 AM

3. I don't find this homophobic in the least.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Jul 22, 2008 11:18:00 AM

4. Hey Derrick from Philly, how can something be "maybe" homophobic but not anti-gay? (Tip: It can't!) These ads play on the idea that two men touching is disgusting. They reinforce that notion.

Not only can you see more of the series in Andy's link, you can also leave a comment.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 22, 2008 11:18:05 AM

5. Jesus H. Christ!

The athletes in these ads are being dunked on... that's what sucks for them. Not crotches in their face. In several of the pictures, the other players' knees and even their feet are in their faces.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 22, 2008 11:19:49 AM

6. If it's homophobic to laugh at somebody getting nutchucked during a (staged) basketball game, then I'm more homophobic than I thought.

Also: I'm a little turned on/intrigued about the photoshoot for the ad. I'd have loved to hear the casting agent explain it to the models beforehand....

Posted by: Richard | Jul 22, 2008 11:25:19 AM

7. I agree with Crispy, this has nonthing to do with being homophobic. If someone got dunked on like that it just "wouldn't be right".

Posted by: Derrick_VA | Jul 22, 2008 11:26:07 AM

8. These are shots of one basketball player dunking on another. I don't find these homophobic in the slightest.

Posted by: Blazed | Jul 22, 2008 11:29:38 AM

9. This isn't homophobic at all. Stop trying to make everything with two guys in advertising into an anti-gay issue when they're really not.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 22, 2008 11:32:08 AM

10. You know, this doesn't affect me in the least bit (other than making me angry) because I have not bought anything from stupid Nike since Eminem and Nike, Inc. joined forces.

Don't buy Nike crap anymore. They'll get the message.

Posted by: Alec Sarkas | Jul 22, 2008 11:38:53 AM

11. I play ball alot and that's not homophobic. You're focusing too much on the crotch in the face and missing the point that the guy in the frame is being dunked on.

Posted by: Brandon | Jul 22, 2008 11:39:46 AM

12. Homophobic? Really? Someone point this out to me, 'cause I'm not seeing it.

Posted by: Brandon | Jul 22, 2008 11:42:24 AM

13. My vote: not homophobic. c'mon guys, it's a sports thing.

Posted by: Ron | Jul 22, 2008 11:42:25 AM

14. Soooo not homophobic. The "that ain't right" is referring to how hard this guy is being dunked on.

Posted by: Dan E | Jul 22, 2008 11:47:25 AM

15. Have to disagree. This series of ads is more basketball trash-talking than homophobia. Let's pick our battles and not cry homophobia at the slighest joke.

On the other hand, the new Mr. T Snickers ad where he attacks a swishy-looking speed walker for not being manly enough is something we SHOULD be outraged about.

Posted by: jjh | Jul 22, 2008 11:50:03 AM

16. This is some Chicken Little shit. Sorry Andy, but the sky is NOT falling.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jul 22, 2008 11:55:50 AM

17. After seeing all the ads, I think Towleroad needs to chill.

Posted by: protogenes | Jul 22, 2008 12:10:13 PM

18. Nike shoes have been overpriced trash for years.

Posted by: Rich | Jul 22, 2008 12:25:07 PM

19. perhaps i am missing the point since i don't understand basketball at all but i find the images very homoerotic which supports my working theory that sports have always been the perfect opportunity and socially acceptable way for straight (or is it "straight") men to smell each others sweaty batwings and booties (thank you miss derrick)which may or may not lead to further encounters in or out of the locker room.

Posted by: the queen | Jul 22, 2008 12:25:48 PM

20. Yeah, you guys need to chill. I'm fine with these.

Posted by: Nick | Jul 22, 2008 12:30:34 PM

21. This is the comment i just left over there, and thought i would leave it here too:

wow, settle down...this isn't homophobic in the slightest! i am a gay guy AND a designer AND a photographer, and the only problem i have with these ads is that i didn't take the pictures or come up with the design myself.
    how is dunking on some dude homophobic? should players get tossed out of games if they react badly to getting hit in the face with someone's crotch? i think the point here is that it just sucks when this happens, and i am pretty sure it is just a cheap shot on the other players part.
    i am so sick of all this PC crap. pretty soon we are going to live in this bland colorless society where people aren't allowed to talk or have opinions or, god forbid, have a reaction to an unpleasant experience.
    settle the hell down. i was made fun of in elementary school, and high school and college and every single chance that a bigot or homophobe crosses my path. and i sure as hell didn't cringe when i saw this ad.
    this kind of attitude only furthers people's negative attitude towards us as gays.
    and as a gay man, i can tell you, i have no desire to live in a world that bends to my every impulsive thought. what a non-challenging world that would be, and what a sad, boring, sterilized human race we would have then.

Posted by: JT | Jul 22, 2008 12:33:39 PM

22. For those who wish to have their voices heard at Nike HQ regarding your feelings about this ad campaign,letters may be sent to:

Mr. Mark Parker, President
    Nike World Headquarters
    One Bowerman Drive
    Beaverton, OR 97005

Posted by: SM | Jul 22, 2008 12:42:52 PM

23. This is why gay people will never get respect from straights, because many gays are pussies when it comes to standing up and saying F-you, it seems homophobic so take that sht down! Even if it can be taken as as a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 homophobic, gays need to stand TOGETHER.

Posted by: Alan | Jul 22, 2008 12:47:14 PM

24. Dude, I don't know if any of you have played basketball recently, but one works up quite a sweat in the process, and getting dunked on in such a way that the other guy's crotch ends up in your face would be not only a surprisingly scented affair, but also would be a bit humiliating. And frankly, that ain't right...

Posted by: Cameron | Jul 22, 2008 12:47:28 PM

25. Andy, are you still angry JetBlue lost your luggage? Stop trying to find your moment. It is not in these Nike ads.

Posted by: Bob Jones | Jul 22, 2008 12:52:46 PM