Cristiano Ronaldo | Jesse Jackson | John McCain | Mitt Romney | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #327

MITT ROMNEY: McCain "authored the philosophy" of surge in Iraq nonsense.

OLD SPICE: First Neil Patrick Harris, now a beefcake Centaur.

CRISTIANO RONALDO: Talks to HollyScoop at last night's ESPY awards about a possible move to L.A.

THE VIEW: The women discuss Jesse Jackson's use of the N-word.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here.

Comments

1. Lest we ever forget, Whoopi Goldberg is pure American Hero.

Posted by: JeffRob | Jul 17, 2008 4:34:16 PM

2. whoopi knows how to keep the idiot hassleface in line, she rocks but i had to laugh when hasslefuck almost burst into tears.... somebody needs to slap her when she interrupts people talking... what a brat...

Posted by: the queenq | Jul 17, 2008 4:50:39 PM

3. EH is not a polak -- her brother would be a polak, and her father could be a polak. She's a polka.
    It just means Polish person in Polish. So it kind of makes a difference who says "polak" to you. Hmmmm....

Whoopi is fabulous and brilliant as always.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jul 17, 2008 5:02:25 PM

4. I'm sorry, but I've never seen a centaur that didn't have a hairy chest. This one must be a fake.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jul 17, 2008 5:04:18 PM

5. when i still lived in san francisco there was an older guy living down the hall from me who used to use old spice all the time. this is no exaggeration but the sordid odor of this guy's old spice would linger like a swamp cloud in the corridor for the next 45 minutes or so.

Posted by: alguien | Jul 17, 2008 5:08:05 PM

6. The N word is not okay for anyone to use, especially not Black people, because what it does is perpetuate the stereotypes and ghettoization. Brother or brothah or sistah is a much better endearment.

Posted by: TooBoot | Jul 17, 2008 5:24:04 PM

7. Notice how the mainstream media has just accepted without question that the surge "worked?"

Posted by: sam | Jul 17, 2008 5:43:33 PM

8. Yeah, with Evan on this one. I hate Elizabeth and seeing her cry brought small joy to my heart. But I have to say I agree with her on this. I just do not think you can own a word...period. It is just a horrible, awful word and as long as people continue to "own" it and use it, we will continue to live in two different worlds.

That said, it simply isn't that important to me what people use among people they know don't find it offensive. I don't understand why if you are a black person you would perpetuate the use of a word like that and the idea that you're "owning" it makes no sense to me. Why would you want to own it? But hey, by all means, if you choose to use it, that is your business. I have no intention of using it and do not want to hear it around me, regardless of what color you are. It's offensive...period.

Posted by: Jean | Jul 17, 2008 5:55:32 PM

9. why can't white people get it? you have to be in the club, i.e. you have to be black, to use the "n" word. when black people use it, it's self empowering, just like when gay people use the word "queer".

on a side note, i love how the media chooses which racists words are highly offensive and which are perfectly fine even for a presidential candidate to use in the public sphere. why is ok for mccain to use the word "gooks" and nobody bats an eyelash? i bet you anything, if he had used the word "nigger" he would not be running for president right now. that's bullshit!

Posted by: shoepins | Jul 17, 2008 6:20:26 PM

10. re: Old Spice ad - something about that commercial made me very uncomfortable.

Cristano, you're hot. But sweetie, you gotta let that "baby mullet" go! Ick.

Re: The View/Messy Jackson/The N-word - Thank you Whoopi. I wish you would've slapped the crocodile tears right out of Elizabitch's head. And please slap Mammy Sherrie's mouth shut, too.

-Messy J. is, well messy and irrelevant.

-The absurdity of the word "nigger" has reached epic proportions. The word has gone from being created by whites to belittle Blacks, to Blacks "adopting" it to greet and/or belittle each other, back to some whites "(re-?)adopting" it to "sound Black!!" You have not seen absurdest comedy until you have witnessed two white boys loudly greet each other with "what up, my nigga?"

Make me wanna holla, throw up both my hands. But mainly, just throw up.

Posted by: Q | Jul 17, 2008 6:28:36 PM

11. I don't think he's going to but Mitty Mormon would be so fun to watch implode as VP pick. All the quotes against each other. And Mitt, crashing two planes and sinking another when getting caught by the enemy does not give you experience, unless on how not to do it again.

My Dad used Old Spice, shudder, thank God he and Mom gave me the gift of Gay.

Ronaldo needs to get a new haircut and less gel, but hey, he's a hottie.

Whoppie rules, I may even have to see that turd Xanadu.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jul 17, 2008 6:57:57 PM

12. The argument that Evan and Jean are making, and that E. Hasselbeck and the GOP generally make with regard to racism is: "Today, right now, by declaration, we are completely equal. Our laws are now equal, so now we, all Americans, are completely equal. Period. So let's all be color-blind."

It sounds pretty and it's arguably well-intentioned. But it is misguided because it leaves no room for consideration of real solutions to the real, tangible racism that still exists in education, housing and employment. For instance, Evan, you said: "Continuing to use two standards does not move anything forward."
    True. Problem is, in most of the country, using one "standard" still greatly benefits the majority and jeopardizes the minority. Just hoping everyone is on the same page does not make it true.

It seems to me that African-Americans using the n-word as they so please is highly beneficial to our national psyche. Take it, flip it, paint it, invert it, rip it up, tape it back together, pee on it, whatEVER. You are actively stripping it of its painful, poisonous past. How could that be bad?

Posted by: JeffRob | Jul 17, 2008 6:59:39 PM

13. damn...! what if some black people are using the word ironically...or is that even a consideration...?

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Jul 17, 2008 8:33:53 PM

14. to quote Chris Rock: "Do you realise how much better Seabicuit's life was than my grandfather's?"

Posted by: gene | Jul 17, 2008 9:28:02 PM

15. Personally the Centaur is cuter!!! I would love to pull his tail. And no, I dont have an animal fetish.

Posted by: MRev. Kenneth White, Jnr. | Jul 18, 2008 6:44:04 AM

16. Kids, it's time we have a chat with Babs and get rid of the blonde mouth piece. To think that people like her are the future. Funny, go into your local gay bar and there she is parked at the bar and running the mouth full speed. Years ago there was a fag hag that hung around with us and we called he jaws. That does apply.

Posted by: Dr. Pat | Jul 18, 2008 7:58:52 AM

17. Odd thing.... the horse half of the centaur is female!

Were they scared of showing horse dick?

Posted by: johnny | Jul 18, 2008 7:58:59 AM

18. If black people want to use it, and if they feel it empowers them, that they adopt the word to take ownership, who are you to say that's not right? The word will always be with us, it will always be used to denigrate blacks, it's not going anywhere. You're foolish to think that you can tell anyone not to use the word - just plain foolish. There are two Americas, and to think that you can require all people to observe the same niceties is naive.

Posted by: David T | Jul 18, 2008 8:20:19 AM

19. Whoopi now the spokeswoman for black America, the horror of it all, this chick hasn't had a black thought in years. Only the nitiwts take a slur and try and make it a non-slur, and, if some black people think they can only use it, since not all do, how sick is that. Can't have it both ways, the word stinks and should never be uttered by anyone.

Posted by: Luke | Jul 18, 2008 8:42:14 AM

20. Luke, the entire gay "community" must be guilty of being "sick nitwits" because they have done the EXACT same thing with "faggot."

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jul 18, 2008 10:34:20 AM

21. When older black people use the word "nigger" it is often aimed at other black folks who behave in a way we think is detrimental to Black America as a whole. Some "street smart" black men used the word as a term of endearment going back to the 1920s, I guess; but it was considered bad to used the word in front of white people.

It's like a Jew calling another a "Heeb"--he wouldn't do it in front of gentiles.

Young blacks claim they use it as a term of endearment, but actually it shows how they've been taught to hate each other. It still means you are placing your black associates in a position of inferiority to whites--a nigger's life isn't as important. We see proof of that every night on the local TV news shows. The free use of the term "nigger" has coinsided with the devaluation of young black people's lives by other young black people; and, of course, by the American society as a whole.

As far as the word "faggot"--I use it to get across a point when I'm discussing homophobia, gay-bashing, straight folks attitudes toward gays, OR snooty gays who are bigoted against marginalized gender non-conforming gays(queens & butch lesbians). I never call another gay person "faggot" just for fun, and certainly not as a term of endearment.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 18, 2008 11:02:55 AM

22. I suppose it's matter of personal choice - I don't use it unless it's somehow germaine to the conversation and my friends don't use it either. I wince whenever I hear it no matter whose mouth it crawls out of and don't ever want to be completely comfortable with it or around it - but that's just me.

Btw Whoopi still has moments of negritude but I woudn't call her the poster child - she's cool though.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jul 18, 2008 11:08:53 AM

23. Derrick, your assessment is right on target! And like you, I don't use the word faggot (or nigger) as a term of endearment.

But I have heard that term used by queers in and out of the media as a jokey, all-in-good-fun greeting. And it just amazes me how vocal gays get about the usage of one word and hypocritically ignore their usage of the other.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jul 18, 2008 11:34:30 AM