Barack Obama | Britney Spears | Election 2008 | John McCain | News | Paris Hilton

Barack Obama Slams McCain's 'Politics as a Game'

Obamacedarrapids

At a rally yesterday in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Obama responded to the Britney Spears-Paris Hilton attack ad that John McCain's campaign put out earlier this week.

Said Obama: "Given the magnitutde of our challenges when it comes to energy, and health care, and jobs, and our foreign policy, you'd think that we'd be having a serious debate, but so far all we've been hearing about is Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. I do have to ask my opponent, 'is that the best you can come up with? Is that really what this election's about? Is that what is worthy of the American people?'"

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Republicans, not surprisingly, have no intention of stopping playing politics as a game, and today launched a site called Who Said It? - Celebrity Edition in which Obama's statements are mocked...

But the Huff Post makes a good point:

"But one can easily imagine the Democratic alternative. It would probably look something like this: "Who said the following about the Iraq War: George Bush, Dick Cheney, John McCain, or Paul Wolfowitz? 'There's no doubt in my mind that once these people are gone that we will be welcomed as liberators.'"

Comments

1. They said on CBS this morning that "close associates of Karl Rove" have recently taken over the McCain campaign. So, this is just the beginning of the nasty attacks to divert voters from the real issues.

Posted by: dezboy | Aug 1, 2008 10:38:17 AM

2. McCain is just getting sad. I almost feel sorry for him...NOT!

IT IS CLEAR THE MCCAIN CAMPAIGN IS JEALOUS OF OBAMAS POPULARITY!

Posted by: KFLO | Aug 1, 2008 10:42:17 AM

3. Actually, McCain asked Obama to join him in a series of weekly town hall meetings in order to discuss the substantive issues but "the annoited one" so far has declined. If Obama is as interested in the policy issues as he claims than he would accept McCain's invitation. Instead, Obama has chosen to chant a series of vapid slogans and soundbites in front of cult-like crowds.

Posted by: ThatsRich | Aug 1, 2008 10:45:18 AM

4. I just hope, at the end of the day, the American voters see beyond the fear-mongering, hate-baiting politics as usual. While I'm not naive enough to think Obama and his administration will be perfect (it's hard to operate that way in an imperfect system), I strongly believe he'll bring us into a world other than the arrogant, self-important one we're in now. And I'd love to see Obama link McCain to Karl Rove more, given the man has just been found in contempt of Congress.

Posted by: Larry | Aug 1, 2008 10:50:52 AM

5. By the way, if you want to vote for a candidate and a party that actually supports full LGBTQ rights rather than merely providing condescending lip service to our community -- as is done by the Democrats -- then support Ralph Nader and the Green Party. Obama, Clinton and the Democratic Party are all frauds. Although the Democratic Party has been in control of Congress for the last several years, what bills have they passed in support of us . . . ENDA? Nope. Repeal of DOMA? Nope. End of DADT? Nope. Get a clue, people, the Democrats only hate us a little less than the Republicans.

Posted by: ThatsRich | Aug 1, 2008 10:50:53 AM

6. This is horrible. The GOP need to pay attention to the actual issues this country is facing. This just shows how stupid they think the general american population is. It's a sad day for this country

Posted by: adam | Aug 1, 2008 10:52:28 AM

7. I believe that the Obama Campaign was prepared months ago that if he won the nomination the issue of race was going to be used by the Republicans. They must have strategies to deal with what's coming from the Republicans, or else why would his initial supporters have asked him to run? THere must have been all kinds of research done on the changes in American's racial attitudes--especially Americans under the age of thirty. This research led them to believe that Barack Obama could actually win the presidency.

I don't think they expected this ridiculous strategy by the Republicans to paint Barack as a "celebrity" with no more substance than Paris Hilton.

My only satisfaction is that many Republicans must be looking and listening to John McCain and saying, "my God, he's so boring you forget what the hell he's talking about...so does he."

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 1, 2008 10:54:07 AM

8. @THATSRICH,

Honey, she lost. Get over it.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Aug 1, 2008 11:59:42 AM

9. THATSRICH, what's REALLY rich is your shilling for McCain and then telling us to vote for Nader. It's pretty clear that your purpose is to get us to vote for anyone but Obama so that your man McCain will have a snowball's chance come November. You probably were linked here through the McCain talking point troll website and you're probably not even gay. Either way it was a seriously lame attempt at compassion trolling.

Oh, and for the record, "several" is more than three, usually considerably more than three but NEVER less than three. The Democratic congress was elected in November of 2006 and took control in January of 2007 putting them "in control of Congress" for just over a year and a half. That's hardly "several years".

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 1, 2008 12:06:43 PM

10. I think most Americans looked at the headline this morning: "McCain Camp Accuses Obama of Playing the 'Race Card'", and thought "Oh, come on." What an absolutely ludicrous accusation.

They hear Obama say things like: "The GOP is going to try to scare you, to make you be afraid of a potential President who doesn't look like all the other Presidents....", and they think "race card played".

I believe most Americans hear Obama say that and think "Damn straight, and Not this time!"

Thatsrich: The Dems may "hate us a little less than the Republicans", but Ralph Nader has as much chance of winning as my left nut. Your paranoia has gotten the better of you. Vote for real change. Let's make this happen.

Posted by: JeffRob | Aug 1, 2008 12:07:22 PM

11. I simply think that this election is way too important to allow myself the luxury of wallowing in identity politics. I know Obama is less progressive than I would like when it comes to LGBT issues. I know, I know, I know. Those who don't support him can just stop parroting that fact, because I already know.

The important issues for me this year have nothing... repeat... NOTHING to do with purely LGBT issues. My issues are our illegal war in Iraq, the economy, environmental issues, health care access, education reform, the appointment of moderate to progresssive Supreme Court justices, and energy issues. I agree with Obama's position on most of these, so I'll be voting for him.

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 1, 2008 12:11:59 PM

12. I know Barack is trying to take the high road, but I really wouldn't mind if he (or his surrogates. whatever) SLIT these fuckers' throats (figuratively, of course). I know he can, but maybe it won't come to that.

Posted by: Jason | Aug 1, 2008 12:21:29 PM

13. Zeke, sorry to disappoint you but I am gay, and you can check out my website if you would like. What I get a kick out of is gay people such as yourselves who decry efforts to stereotype the LGBTQ community but then you get your panties in a bunch every time someone does not march in lock step with your brain-washed self-deluded Democratic views by insisting that we all share the identical values. That's a real celebration of genuine diversity, Zeke you clone. Unfortunately, you have so little imagination and creativity that you cannot understand the world beyond your black-and-white dividing line of Democrat and Republican, and realize that there is a much broader world that includes the Green Party. Go ahead Zeke and vote for Obama and the Democratic Party but don't whine to me about the suffering of your oppression when nothing changes on the political landscape for LGBTQ rights. Remember, Zeke, Bill Clinton promised us the moon and the stars as well, and all we got was DOMA and DADT. God you live in a small, little world Zeke

Posted by: ThatsRich | Aug 1, 2008 12:44:50 PM

14. "...insisting that we all share the identical values."

Is it only about "values", THATSRICH? Isn't it about human rights also? Who's more likely to side with gay people concerning the right to be treated as a human being and an American citizen? Democrats? or Pat Robertson's Party...I mean, Republicans?

And Zeke aint no clone. He just feels that there are more things that should be important to gay folks than lowering their taxes. Gay folks (unlike Republicans) aint supposed to be greedy...not for money, anyway.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 1, 2008 12:54:36 PM

15. "I am not President but I play one on TV"

Posted by: daveynyc | Aug 1, 2008 1:07:29 PM

16. Jeffrob, I totally agree. Actually, when my boyfriend and I woke up to read those headlines about McCain's low tactics, we became really angry. So angry in fact that we were both inspired to contribute $ to Obama's campaign. Hopefully more people will express their anger, vocally and monetarily, at McCain because I can't take another 4 years of this divisive, vitriolic bullshit.

Posted by: GBM | Aug 1, 2008 1:08:18 PM

17. Unfortunately America between the coasts will drink the kool-aid once again and vote for McCain. He is already neck in neck in most states Obama had 6-12 point leads a mere month ago. The fear and hate mongering by the Republicans has been successful in the past and whenever they bring out the 3 g's-guns,god,and gays- they triumph. The industrial midwest does not make the connection between the Republican party and what they have lost. They turn inward and vote for the familiar time and time again. And in OH,MI,IN,and other states the race card is a big factor as there are many people who will not vote for Obama based on his race-period. FAUX News and the AM radio parrots for the RNC have been and will continue to mold the masses. There is nothing indicating otherwise this year. It is very sad and I wish the masses would educate themselves but they won't-that takes energy and work Just this morning NPR indicated that 60 percent or more in FL want to drill overshore right now- and the feeling is growing. The citizens of this country evidently have to suffer more in order to find the courage to vote for change. It won't be this year.

Posted by: Nick | Aug 1, 2008 1:20:10 PM

18. I don't know, Nick. While I have ongoing faith that the voting public will let me down, I also don't think that this year is the same as 2004. The economy is a really big issue and McCain understandably polls really poorly for those issues. More significantly perhaps, I really don't think McCain looks comfortable in his own skin with these increasingly nasty and manufactured controversies...it resembles Rove too much and seems like McCain is forcing himself to grimace and bear it to win the election. However, the American public does not like to vote for candidates who appear uncomfortable being themselves, whether Nixon or Kerry. Whether you like him or not, Obama's campaign is consistently tailored to the candidate himself, and as a result Obama rarely seems as squirmishly uncomfortable as McCain so often does. Thus the Republican campaign a la Rovian acolytes is going full tilt but at the expense of their own candidate. My hope is that McCain's disquieting and utter compromise of his own character, despite if not because of all the fearmongering, won't be lost on swing voters who might conceivably vote for Obama instead.

Posted by: GBM | Aug 1, 2008 1:39:47 PM

19. "Gay folks (unlike Republicans) aint supposed to be greedy...not for money, anyway."

Wow, Derrick from Philly. Thanks for informing us all about what gays are supposed to be and not supposed to be. And what are you implying gays should be greedy for? What a caricature and cliche you represent. And although your obsession with Pat Robertson is revealing aren't you aware that Ralph Nader and the Green Party in fact are not associated with the religious right or are you so drunk with the Democratic Party Kool Aid that you are unaware that there actually is a party with progressive values which you apparently do not support. Just click your heels three times while repeating "Change We Can Believe In."

Posted by: ThatsRich | Aug 1, 2008 3:03:56 PM

20. "...caricature and cliche you represent"

Well, yeeeeah. What dull studio has you under contract? Republic?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 1, 2008 3:11:47 PM

21. THATSRICH, tells us that if gay people vote for Nader and McCain wins we'll be better off than if we vote for Obama and Obama wins.

THATSRICH, I may live in a small world, THATSRICH, but at least I live, THATSRICH, in THIS world, THATSRICH.

Is it supposed to be clever to use a person's screen-name "SEVERAL" times in one comment?

And funny that you should call me a Democrat and gay "clone" since I've relatively recently become a Democrat (though I still don't walk lock step with the party platform) and I'm HARDLY a gay clone, which you would know if you had been participating in Towleroad discussions for more than a week.

It's strange that when I and other gay voters vote Democratic based upon OUR "values" and OUR "family values" we're called "single issue voters" and "clones" (regardless of how many issues we agree with the Democrats on), yet when a conservative person votes Republican exclusively over lower taxes, or abortion, or anti-gay rights, they are called "values voters" and "family values voters". And why is it that when a gay person votes Republican almost exclusively over lower taxes or support for a hawkish foreign policy, he/she isn't considered a "single issue voter"? Perhaps THATSRICH can explain why that is.

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 1, 2008 3:44:48 PM

22. I'm so very ready for this fucking election to be over. To quote Doris Upson, "I've been ready for quite some time."

Let's just get it the fuck over with.

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 1, 2008 3:48:54 PM

23. "Instead, Obama has chosen to chant a series of vapid slogans and soundbites in front of cult-like crowds."

Who's drinking the Kool Aid here? You've just said exactly what the Republican party wants you to say. Obama=cult=celebrity=vapid, and so on. Congratulations, Karl Rove gives you a gold star! The reality is that a Republican or a Democrat will be the next president. Ralph Nader (from the Narcissist Party) and the Green Party, whatever one thinks of their positions, are losing this November.

So we can choose between McCain, who will carry on the Bush legacy nicely and who believes that gay people shouldn't be parents and gay unions deserve no legal recognition, or Obama, whose policies are certainly much closer to the Green Party's than McCain's and who actually addresses gay rights without squirming in his chair or looking like he just swallowed Drano. I'll choose Obama, imperfect as he and the Democrats can be, and if that labels me a clone, no problem.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 1, 2008 4:18:16 PM

24. Zeke, my poor man, try not to let your happiness in life be dependent upon whether Obama or McCain becomes the next president of the United States.

The truth is that I have lived under a Republican Congress, a Democratic Congress, Republican Presidents, and Democratic Presidents. And you know what? I never had federally protected gay rights under any of them, and my day-to-day personal life never has been changed one way or the other under any of them.

The Democratic and Republican parties are much more the same than you can appreciate, and my suggestion is that you learn to live your own life regardless of who is on office and you do not condition your happiness upon who is in office . . . because if you keep putting off your happiness until the day the Democratic Party affords us full equality, you may be waiting an awfully long time.

And by the way, I don't give a rat's as about the war in Iraq or the treatment of detainees in Guantanamo Bay . . . and I bet you a quarter that no one else on this board is losing any sleep over the issue at night, either.

Posted by: Thatsrich | Aug 1, 2008 4:25:53 PM

25. "And by the way, I don't give a rat's as about the war in Iraq . . . "

That's right, who cares about the thousands of lives lost or the zillions of dollars spent on a war that shouldn't have been fought in the first place, silly us. But I'm sure Zeke is reassured that you're terribly worried about his personal happiness.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 1, 2008 4:47:33 PM