Beijing | Matthew Mitcham | News | Olympics

Gay Australian Diver Matthew Mitcham Wins Gold in 10M

Mitcham

Breaking news from Beijing:

Mitcham2"Matthew Mitcham has won a gold medal for Australia in the men’s 10 metre platform diving in Beijing. The 20-year-old offered an incredible 112.10 final dive to beat the Chinese Luxin Zhou who had lead the competition until that point. Fellow Australian Mathew Helm came 6th in the final. Helm took silver at Athens in 2004."

Previously
Matthew Mitcham Fails to Make 3M Springboard Finals [tr]
Sportrait: Matthew Mitcham [tr]
Australia's Gay Olympian Matthew Mitcham Happy to Be Out [tr]
Australian Olympic Diver Matthew Mitcham: I'm Gay [tr]

Comments

1. This site is so messy, I simply can't tell the content from the advertising and will no longer read it because of that.

Posted by: olen | Aug 23, 2008 10:36:38 AM

2. Go team gay!

Posted by: Rodrigo | Aug 23, 2008 10:44:39 AM

3. Three cheers for Matthew Mitcham!

Posted by: SJ | Aug 23, 2008 10:59:41 AM

4. Made My Day!

TOTALLY makes up for Joe Biden.

Posted by: Davuid Ehrenstein | Aug 23, 2008 11:15:20 AM

5. It's 1am here in Melbourne, and I just heard Matthew on the radio being interviewed about his win.
    He was so sweet, describing his medal in complete detail as only a fellow queen can.
    Anyway, congratulations to him, and what a fantastic role model he'll be for those young gay guys who want to get in to sport :)

Posted by: Chaq | Aug 23, 2008 11:24:39 AM

6. I think all the ads contribute to the near stoppage I encounter when trying to view this site lately. Takes forever to load pages. Good content but this must be affecting readership. I know Andy needs to make some money, so maybe he can offer a subscription to those who would pay without ads and faster loading.

Posted by: Vi Agara | Aug 23, 2008 11:26:04 AM

7. Added to the Biden news this makes for an excellent day. I'm so glad Mitcham won it, amazing!

Posted by: Jersey | Aug 23, 2008 11:28:50 AM

8. CHAQ:

In my experience there is ALREADY nearly standing room only gays in swim and diving - the problem is still so much hostile homophobia from straights and discrete homosexuals... I hope his win makes it easier for others to be out - - but I haven't seen this happening in swim/dive or skating, they both remain aggressively homophobic (reminds me of the music industry).

Posted by: David B. | Aug 23, 2008 11:40:04 AM

9. To me you were a champion what a fighting spirit, proud of you mate. GOLD well done, not only for your medal but your guts in coming out wish more athletes would be honest, One for LBG family,
    Congrats again
    63 yo Queen

Posted by: Tom | Aug 23, 2008 11:48:56 AM

10. I am a chinese and it is sad that china cant get all the 8 gold medals, but i am also happy that Mitcham is the one who grab it from china, his last dive was fantastic!

Posted by: lwolf | Aug 23, 2008 11:49:59 AM

11. Mr Mitcham you were Gold when you stood up to the world and said who you were, now you just have an additional medal to say you are a Gold winning Olympian as well. Congrats Sir, look forward to cheering you on for years to come. May your rewards just continue.

As for you guys having trouble with the ads, not sure why you are but I never do on either my PC at work or MAC at home. Good luck though, hate to see you miss a great site.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Aug 23, 2008 12:02:45 PM

12. WOOHOOOO!!! Go Matt!

He looked so good up there, I mean so good....

Posted by: JeffRob | Aug 23, 2008 12:03:29 PM

13. you see, swallowing all that sperm pays off... mucho protein that gives you an extra boost, better than one of the energy drinks... so go on cocksuckers...

Posted by: the queen | Aug 23, 2008 2:14:30 PM

14. I couldn't be more proud for him and for The Family! Go Matt!

Posted by: clint | Aug 23, 2008 2:36:13 PM

15. Congrats to Matthew!! It's nice that his partner Lachlan was able to come along. I wonder what he looks like.

Posted by: Dan | Aug 23, 2008 4:15:20 PM

16. Crap NBC delayed coverage spoiler!!! Thanks a lot! Still, now I won't be as excited knowing he won, but it will be great to watch anyway. Not sure where he's going to place, but next-to-come-out (no doubt) fantastic USA diver Thomas Finchum will hopefully be the next Greg Louganis/Matthew Mitcham, in more ways than one.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Aug 23, 2008 6:37:09 PM

17. The comment by the queen was really tacky, we have to raise the dialog, and step out of the stereotype a bit... by the way, not all of us swallow cum!

Posted by: tiger | Aug 23, 2008 7:25:27 PM

18. WOOOOOT!!! *Throws confetti* YAY!!! My Advocate is a collector's item! lol Im a dork. God he is steamy hot lol, a gold medal champ and he is my age *faints*. Lachlan is sooooooooo lucky.lol He seems to be a pretty cool guy. The best thing is that he has opened the door for many more openly gay athletes to try and get the gold medal!

YAY! Go MATTHEW! WOOOT!

Posted by: Steven | Aug 23, 2008 7:42:57 PM

19. CONGRATS!!!

Posted by: KFLO | Aug 23, 2008 8:24:37 PM

20. tens, tens, TENS across the board !

Posted by: dc10001 | Aug 23, 2008 9:19:02 PM

21. OK, now I've actually watched the event unfold...on tape...on NBC. Worst...coverage...ever! Hate them for the way they have handled these procedings, particularly if no American is in medal contention. The Chinese divers have not lost a single diving gold in this Olympics, and as stated above, Luxin Zhou had the lead until the last round, and WAY ahead! He had a major flub, Matthew had a practically perfect dive, and won! Incredible competition! Major congrats!

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Aug 23, 2008 10:36:09 PM

22. comments by queens are what make life interesting, leave the dear cocksucker alone. as for the ads, they are necessary - upgrade your computer if you have trouble with speed.

congratulations Matthew!

Posted by: randall Q | Aug 23, 2008 10:36:35 PM

23. Hey guys--anyone have a link to a video of his winning dive? I found one from a paper in 'down under' but will only play to those in Australia....
    ?help us to see this again!

Posted by: t in houston | Aug 24, 2008 12:07:00 AM

24. Here he is with his mom and Lachlan, his partner.

Posted by: Matt | Aug 24, 2008 12:13:23 AM

25. thnks for the link. but i am looking for a vid that shows his dive.

Posted by: t in houston | Aug 24, 2008 12:32:16 AM