Australia | Figure Skating | News | Playing Gay

Gay 'Love Scene' in Aussie Cinderella on Ice Infuriates Some

Gayskating

A production of Cinderella on Ice had its premiere in Melbourne on Tuesday, and audiences were treated to a "gay love sequence" performed by skaters Andrei Benikov and Yuri Salimanov.

The surprise sequence has "pro-family" groups up in arms and gay groups cheering:

"Mr Mercer said his updated version of Cinderella, which replaces the role of the prince with the mayor's son and the fairy godmother with a gypsy, enabled modern audiences to better identify with the characters. And gay couples are part of contemporary society, he said. 'I don't think there is anything offensive about including a gay couple,' Mr Mercer said. 'You see them day in, day out on the street.' Australian Families Association national secretary Gabrielle Walsh said the gay dance, by skaters Yuri Salimanov and Andrei Benikov, was inappropriate. 'We need to protect our children. They don't need to grow up any quicker,' Ms Walsh said. Nationals Senator Barnaby Joyce said the surprise inclusion of gay lovers was out of place in an audience of young children. 'They are making children's lives more complicated before they need to be,' he said."

A children's advocacy group had a different perspective. Said its CEO: "It's helpful as a way of breaking down prejudices."

A glimpse of the production at its New Zealand run (though I couldn't catch the gay bit), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. oh please....

CHILD: Mom, those 2 guys are holding hands...
    MOM: That's because they like each other. Now get over it!

end of discussion...

Posted by: the queen | Aug 6, 2008 6:26:41 PM

2. And as we all know, ice shows are bastions of heterosexuality.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 6, 2008 6:34:16 PM

3. Mr E you are correct, nothing but straight dudes performing and straight kids enjoying it. Yeah right. Andy, I saw the gay bit, when they were dueling swords. Get it, sword fight...in the mouth. Brings back memories, I need some time to myself for awhile.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Aug 6, 2008 7:14:28 PM

4. "Children" are being murdered and gay bashed daily around the world because of homo prejudice,homohatred and homophobia. Human Beings are bombarded with daily with overt and covert messages that same sex love is not equal to opposite sex love that is spoon fed from the crib. What fucking planet do these "Adults" live on?

Posted by: SFshawn | Aug 6, 2008 7:19:15 PM

5. So ..... the most the fundies can come up with anymore is that we're making kids' lives too "complicated"? If that's the best they can do, we must have progressed further than I thought.

Posted by: Frank L | Aug 6, 2008 7:21:53 PM

6. I can't believe that things are so much more liberal here in the Twin Cities, but apparently they are. When Bourne's "Swan Lake" was here, it was packed with families who were very much aware of how homoerotic it was.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Aug 6, 2008 7:52:15 PM

7. The only reason kids see a relationship between two men as sexual is because their parents tell them it is. Most kids just see two guys who like being around each other, nothing more.

Posted by: PJ | Aug 6, 2008 8:06:14 PM

8. What do they mean by complicating children's lives before they need to be? There's nothing complicated about a gay couple: a man loves a man or a woman loves a woman.

Kids are highly malleable, so if you treat being gay as a disease or a plague, children are going to act as if it's a disease or a plague. And it shouldn't be treated as such.

I'm just so annoyed by people and their hangups.

Posted by: Al | Aug 7, 2008 1:06:49 AM

9. Actually, I think kids tend to have very strong opinions. Like, my mother couldn't make me eat lima beans and there are always very strong toy preferences (ha!), or what books to read. However, relationship stuff probably goes way over the heads of most kids. I understood how families worked, and how businesses worked, but the nuances probably escaped me, as did any associated body language more subtle than handshakes and kissing.

Posted by: anon | Aug 7, 2008 9:56:08 AM

10. Wow, that must be some show in person! I missed the part where the two guys were having full-out man on man sex and confusing the little children and complicating their lives. What's it rated, X-G?

Yeah, professional skating is usually all about hetero men, you can always tell by the ultra-masculine outfits, especially the Russian skaters:

Posted by: johnny | Aug 7, 2008 10:02:02 AM

11. The Christianist mission is to eradicate any public acknowledgment of the existence of homosexuals, PERIOD.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Aug 7, 2008 10:21:49 AM

12. Reminds me a little bit of the smartly-dressed gay couple walking their dogs and discussing The Current Madness in Tim Burton's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." It's not much more than a throwaway 10-second bit, but it's very obvious what they're about. Some gays might squawk about what they see as a "stereotypical" representation, but I think it just reflects the modern world.

Posted by: Dback | Aug 7, 2008 11:14:38 AM

13. I always love, and of course I mean hate, the comment "We need to protect our children".
    From what!? The truth of reality! Paranoid homophobes who would like nothing more than to live in a bubble irritate me to no end.

Posted by: Jake | Aug 7, 2008 12:27:04 PM

14. In a world where children are faced with terrorist threats, their parents dying in the war, being thrown out of their houses because they can't afford the mortgage...this is going to damage them? How about you let kids grow up the way the world forces them to!

Posted by: Sean | Aug 7, 2008 4:18:07 PM

15. I wonder if parents had the same reaction when the first inter-racial production of Cinderella was performed...

Heck, for a while, it was scandalous for plays to have any female actors in it at all!

Posted by: kybarsfang | Aug 7, 2008 7:56:29 PM