Comments

1. Chad says

Andy, Thanks for keeping us updated on the activities of up and coming gay artists to watch.

As for the ads, it is sad that any of these are considered “controversial”. Even the most disconcerting of them (on the second jump of a guy on a river bank covered in leaves) is not even that edgy really. Even more sad that Americans won’t see them because from an artistic standpoint, the photos are well composed, cleverly lit and brilliantly executed.

2. says

You are only showing the least creepy ones.

The full campaign is tasteless beyond belief, except you find dead bodies in ponds tasteful.

Being “well composed, cleverly lit and brilliantly executed” doesn’t hide that fact.

3. IDNY says

McGinley’s skill level is defiantly in question. There are far more talented photographer who dont get the same recognition or opportunity. He is pretty mediocre to say the least.

He photographed the hipsters in their element via the snap shot aesthetic and was the first to be published for it.

It was a superficial flash in the pan. It was kind of like the photo/art worlds version of the makerania; fun at the time but looking back on it not the most intellectual of works.

I am not quite sure why these images are ‘controversial’. There pretty weak to me on all levels frankly. Not a bad concept at all but the execution is just not up to par. They seem like a rough draft that needs work. I mean really, with that idea THOSE are the images you shot? He struggles when he has to create from scratch.

4. Steven W. says

I’m not a huge fan of McGinley’s. It’s rather plain, a tad hackneyed, and (like most things these days) suffers from I’m-so-cool disease. So many artists from my generation insist on projecting this “beautiful loser” aesthetic on everything they give to the world. The preoccupation with (white) youth and nudes in certain collections is suspect. It’s like Abercrombie by way of dead pedophiles private photo collection you weren’t supposed to see.

Admittedly I’m biased. I’ve dabbled in photography but spend most of my artistic hours using paints, pens and brushes. I prefer to be more hands on with my pieces. I don’t mind the sore muscles and paint splattered clothes. Whenever I “point and click” I feel like I’m cheating. As if I’m taking a shortcut to artistic expression. And with today’s digital technology “insta-matic” is even more instant.

This Wrangler campaign is…well…it’s just dumb. It does not at all showcase the product in a flattering light. What the hell are they selling here anyway? Oh clothing that’s right! Conjuring up memories of wearing cold, wet denim doesn’t exactly inspire one to run out and purchase blue jeans.

The print campaign I can overlook. But the television commercial is criminal. Teen slasher flic? National Geographic? Can somebody turn on the lights please? Trust me…I get it…and I’m giving it back.

5. Kyle says

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
    Ryans photogs are sooooo not genius.
    Whateves.

6. Gary Lennon says

McGInley started so young with such immediate success; yes, this look is getting dated, not as edgy as Slava Mogutin, even bordering on banal – but if you look over his work a fully-formed, idiosyncratic visual style with built-in social grab was there from day one. An originator.

Frankly, the quiet elegance of the spot is engaging, in a world where so many commercials are just plain unwatchable. The creepy part you bring on your own; never question what you see? Then why photography. And I think the cut-outs are minor genius.

At the inception of the ad campaign, I can imagine focus groups polled for ‘relevant’ images rating contrast, asymmetry and bullet holes highest, so everyone in the design department gets an AK47 – that’s the sort of deal you make doing advertising. So he plays Wrangler, gets a free gun to disregard or mock, and goes on with his brilliant career heavier in the pocket. Good for you, Ryan. He could be the next Avedon, if he can avoid the temptation of believing his own hype.