Film | Jake Gyllenhaal | News

Jake Gyllenhaal is the Prince of Persia

Gyllenhaal2

It sure does seem like a long time since the Jack Twist days when shots like this of Jake Gyllenhaal seemed to come around every week or so. Here's the actor in Morocco (courtesy of Just Jared), where filming has begun on the set of his new film Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, based on the video game. Those of you with role-playing fantasies should be pleased.

See the full shot AFTER THE JUMP...

Gyllenhaalpersia

More at Just Jared...

Comments

1. Liking the thicker Jake but can't say the same for his choise in accessories (whose hand he is holding).

Posted by: rudy | Aug 12, 2008 8:03:08 AM

2. God, he's ugly.

Posted by: david | Aug 12, 2008 8:14:33 AM

3. Shouldn't the prince of Persia ...er... look Persian?

Posted by: Chairman Mo | Aug 12, 2008 8:22:14 AM

4. Don't like the look, too much steroids.

Jake's beard managed to find paparazzi in the desert?

How convinient!

Posted by: Tony | Aug 12, 2008 8:40:14 AM

5. Hey Rudy, that's his future wife, Reese, lucky girl.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Aug 12, 2008 8:40:41 AM

6. OMG - Jake is Totally HOT! Dammm he's one sexy man!

Posted by: Rex | Aug 12, 2008 8:40:59 AM

7. He looks damn good. I thought it was a bad choice at first, but now I am on board. He looks VERY similar to the character from the game.

Posted by: krstofer | Aug 12, 2008 8:45:25 AM

8. Eh... not impressed. This movie is gonna blow. He's just not an action star. And that hair (on his head) has got to go. Looks like the homeless guy that hangs out in front of my building.

Posted by: Daspion | Aug 12, 2008 8:52:31 AM

9. I agree with you, Krstofer. He does look very good, imo and very like the character from the video game. Some people are just ridiculously negative before the movie is even finished. Way to not even give it a chance.

As for the bitchiness about his looks, well I am sure the same shallow bullshit can be said about what you all look like.

I think Jake will be great in this one. Love him.

Posted by: sam | Aug 12, 2008 9:21:05 AM

10. "In Persia, We Don’t Have Homosexuals Like In Your Country"

Posted by: A.J. | Aug 12, 2008 9:21:31 AM

11. Dear lord, while you nerds fight over whether Jake looks like the video game character (!) he's portraying, I'll take him to a corner and grope him.

Posted by: jeffy | Aug 12, 2008 9:40:46 AM

12. Is Billy Ray Cyrus Persian?

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Aug 12, 2008 10:02:26 AM

13. His package looks quite yummy in those pants. The footwear, however, is horrendous.

Posted by: Chad | Aug 12, 2008 10:04:28 AM

14. I've yet to see any photo of Jake that didn't make me breathe just a little bit harder. The man is gorgeous. And I happen to think his acting has been impressive in more than a few of his films.

Here it looks like he had just finished a skirmish scene so he's dirty and his hair is mussed ... not that I mind! But in other recent off-set photos, he's actually working the mane nicely.

I can't believe some of you are so emotionally invested against him that you'd take the time to post nasty comments. He's done nothing wrong to any of ya, and nobody is forcing you to pause and stare at his pictuers. If you don't like them, move the hell on. :)

Posted by: sparks | Aug 12, 2008 10:10:32 AM

15. I am deeply emotionally invested in destroying Jake Gyllenhaal and his career. I think he's evil... E-V-I-L!!!

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Aug 12, 2008 10:36:33 AM

16. *rolls eyes at John's drama queen antics*

Jake looking yummy. I will be seeing Prince of Persia.

Posted by: DJ | Aug 12, 2008 10:46:14 AM

17. Yuck. Please, more pics of hot American swimmers!

Posted by: Nick | Aug 12, 2008 11:02:22 AM

18. Hot! Cool! Yum!

As for the look it's called a costume folks.

Posted by: SJ | Aug 12, 2008 11:13:12 AM

19. I'm waiting until EVAN says it's OK to think he looks hot, despite my boner saying he is.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Aug 12, 2008 11:15:30 AM

20. You know, I always thought he was attractive, but there was never that OMG factor... but now?

OMG!

Posted by: M@ | Aug 12, 2008 11:33:15 AM

21. O.M.G. Looking as fine as he ever has. Given his history (to whomever implied steroids are involved) you can tell he's totally natural. He's just known to work out very hard for roles (see Jarhead) from just a year or two ago. He looked buff there too and it took him several months of training to get there.

Posted by: jp | Aug 12, 2008 11:59:59 AM

22. OMG that body if fucking incredible! Unfortunately, I hate the long hair (wig?) on Jake, and I'm normally a fan of long hair on handsome men.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 12, 2008 12:06:15 PM

23. I guess he's given up on small arty films that don't make any money.

Posted by: anon | Aug 12, 2008 12:10:40 PM

24. The fact that the producers chose to white-wash the Prince of Persia does not bode well...

I have a bad feeling this movie's plot cannot stand on it's own merits, and so needs a big name white actor (aka non-threatening to racist Middle-America) to draw in crowds.

Posted by: Griff | Aug 12, 2008 12:12:20 PM

25. Err a Persian looking Persian? Come on. How could Hollywood sell a big action packed movie with a brown-skinned man? That would be like Will Smith being a major action picture star. Who would ever believe that?

Seriously, you do know that Jesus was very fair-skinned, had blond hair, blue eyes, and a perky nose? Those are of course, the perfect features common to people with ancestors from Egypt, North Africa, and Southwest Asia.

:-(

Seriously, why couldn't they find someone with a little more melanin in his skin? Your average Iraqi or Iranian, the Persians, don't have pale white skin and blue eyes. They're normally olive, brown, or black skinned.

This reminds me of the controversy over of the Disney cartoon "Aladdin" where the Aladdin and Jasmine had European feature and the bad guy had a big hooked nose and more pronounced Arab/Persian experience.

Why continue to push ot stereotypes like this? Couldn't Hollywood have found an unknown browner actor and surrounded him with bigger names? Lots of action franchises succeed because of that.

Every time some straight actor, like Jake G., pretends to be gay, the blogs and press in the gay community go apesh@t crazy in love because the guy is cute and "brave." Meanwhile, some gay actor never gets the part or the accolades.

Hollywood has been re-writing history, having Nordic looking actors playing people of different backgrounds for ages. Whether it was black, Asian, or Native American, this crap never seems to end.

Look at the Harvey Milk movie. All of the actors who are stars are straight. James Franco presents his stories about the difficulty of kissing Sean Penn. How terrible. But where are the gay actors? Are there any notable gay actors in the cast?

In some ways, the lack of authentic actors such roles would be like casting the story of Martin Luther King and Corretta Scott King as played by Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. (Oh, that's right, Angelina did go the brown face route to play Mariane Pearl.)

Robert Downey Jr is playing a white actor arrogant enough to go through surgery and skin dyeing to play a black man in "Tropic Thunder." In that case, Downey is trying to skewer Hollywood's tendency to play this B.S. game.

Yeah, I know that someone is going say "it's just acting; why shouldn't a white/straight actor be able to play a fill-in the blank"? You're missing the point, the problem is that the non white/ non-straight actors aren't able to get jobs. Therefore, this isn't about anyone's acting ability as much as it's about Hollywood not willing to offer a job to a non-traditional actor while pushing false history that all "heroes" usually look like Northern Europeans.

I'm all for Sean Penn playing Milk. But are you really telling me that none of the supporting players couldn't have been openly gay? Have you heard of anyone who's gay in a major role?

Yeah, people love "Brokeback Mountain," but can you name any openly gay actors who had a supporting role? Rupert Everett, besides being a sometimes jerk, has spoken out about this. How many gay actors are allowed to play both straight and gay roles? Off hand, I can think of T.R. Knight.

Posted by: noah | Aug 12, 2008 12:13:34 PM