Gus van Sant | Harvey Milk | James Franco | Kiss | News | Sean Penn

James Franco Talks About Kissing Sean Penn

Franco1

James Franco gives a charming interview to Lynn Hirschberg of the NYT in which he discusses Pineapple Express which he says he basically sees as a love story between a drug dealer and his client. They also talk about Milk (in which he plays Harvey Milk's lover Scott Smith), and Franco offers up the answer to what will likely be the most frequent question he gets on press junkets:

"Doing Milk was an incredible experience and I talked about how My Own Private Idaho had such an effect on me and also Drugstore Cowboy. Gus van Sant had been a hero of mine since I was a teenager and Sean Penn as well. And so it was a chance to work with two of my heroes. I will be asked what it was like to kiss Sean Penn about a million times and the few times I run into paparazzi that's their new annoying thing. It was uncomfortable. Especially like the first time we did it. We didn't do it many times but the first kiss of the film he had on — he grew a beard but he needed a slightly thicker beard so he had some hairs intertwined in his real hairs and so we kissed and those kept getting in my mouth, and it was just kind of uncomfortable, and not that fun...(jokes) When I saw Spicoli, I just wanted to make out with him!"

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Franco2

Related
Sean Penn and James Franco as Lovers in Milk [tr]

Screen Test | James Franco [nyt]

Comments

1. I don't mind kissing a man with a beard. But I really like kissing a hairy chest, yum.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Aug 1, 2008 11:33:02 AM

2. He's a cute little pothead.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 1, 2008 11:33:37 AM

3. Gawd, I want to kiss that man so BADLY! Damn!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Aug 1, 2008 11:48:28 AM

4. He is a FUKKIN" cutie.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 1, 2008 11:52:19 AM

5. "I was very aware of James Dean."

No, kidding, cutie. You've appropriated all his mannerisms and facial expressions, but I like it...he's cute.

His mother's Jewish, then he's Jewish. It's God's Will! That's what I tried to explain about them damn Gabor sisters a few months ago on this blog. But some anti-Semite bitch challenged me.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 1, 2008 11:56:28 AM

6. He's done little or nothing for me for years, and now all of sudden, WHAM! I'm not sure I've ever really seen him smile before--it's very becoming. (And if you've never seen his performance as James Dean, rent it immediately--he's uncanny.)

Jake and Heath tried to handle the media questions with as much class as possible, but the relentless harping by know-nothings on questions like "So, how difficult was it to kiss a guy?" were just wearying--all the "Milk" guys will find that out soon enough. Like playing gay is INFINITELY more difficult/traumatic than acting any other role, including the sociopathic Green Goblin Jr. and trying to kill one's friends.

Posted by: Dback | Aug 1, 2008 12:09:13 PM

7. "It was uncomfortable. Especially like the first time we did it."

Practice makes perfect, James. I'd gladly offer my bearded face and you can take ALL THE TIME YOU NEED!

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Aug 1, 2008 12:22:37 PM

8. He's simply adorable. Exceptionally handsome, very articulate and no dummy. I must admit to being a very big fan and hope he's extremely successful. I also hope that he is never ruined by his success. Beautiful guy.

Posted by: Bob R | Aug 1, 2008 12:30:22 PM

9. Interesting Blind Item on Awful Truth site today. Sounds suspiciously like our dear Mr. Franco.

Posted by: dc-20008 | Aug 1, 2008 12:35:37 PM

10. God but he's so adorable!

I'd like to do more than kiss him!

Posted by: Scott Dancer | Aug 1, 2008 12:48:53 PM

11. God but he's so adorable!

I'd like to do more than kiss him!

Posted by: Scott Dancer | Aug 1, 2008 12:49:13 PM

12. so cute..not feeling the long hair in the new movie but very cute clean cut

Posted by: daveynyc | Aug 1, 2008 1:14:08 PM

13. @ Derrick from Philly - You're right on target, if is mother is Jewish so is he. Passes down maternally and not paternally.

Posted by: bojo | Aug 1, 2008 7:18:08 PM

14. WTF FAGGOTS HE IS STRAIGHT

THIS JUST GOES TO SHOW THAT HOMO'S JUST WANT STRAIGHT GUYS, AND THEY'RE PERVERTED FUCKS!

THIS IS WHY STR8'S HATE QUEERS, CUZ THEY DON'T WANT OTHER GUYS THINKING ABOUT BURGLING THEIR TURDS. FFS U LOT OUGHTA BE STRUNG UP AND SHOT, and yes i AM gay but i know my fucking limits. ugh you lot make me sick to my sick to my stomach

Posted by: FFS | Aug 2, 2008 3:34:34 AM

15. Hey psycho guy, what makes you think he's straight? Did it ever occur to you that he's in the closet?

Posted by: thommanoa | Aug 2, 2008 1:06:41 PM

16. And FFS, lots of straight guys lust after lesbians. It doesn't make them "perverted fucks". They're just aesthetically attracted to good looking people.

I don't care if Franco is straight or gay, I'm still going to find him hot.

You really need to chill.

Posted by: gay as life | Aug 2, 2008 2:43:20 PM

17. Go rent the entire series of Freaks & Geek. He's so amazing.

Posted by: Br!on | Aug 2, 2008 4:49:58 PM

18. Isn't he half Italian, half Jewish?

Posted by: nikko | Aug 3, 2008 1:33:09 AM

19. I'm surprised at how inarticulate he is. I know ad-lib can be daunting, but it seemed like his brain was a bit sluggish that day.

I'm glad I got to see that side of him, though. It makes him more human, and I still think he rocks. :)

Posted by: kybarsfang | Aug 4, 2008 1:14:50 AM

20. i knew there would be some fucktard bitching about gays lusting over "str8" guys.

FFS, eat shit and die. do you know for a fact that any of these celebs are totally str8?

as for mr franco, i would like to taste him ALL over -- every nook, cranny and bulbous area.

Posted by: nic | Aug 4, 2008 3:29:50 PM

21. Excuse me, but how does a religion "pass down" from a mother and not from a father? That is the most non-sensical thing ever imagined. Yeah, ok, I inherited my passion for worshiping Kate Winslet from my father's side of family. Unbelievable! It's absolutely incredible to me that people still believe such junk.

Posted by: Joseph | Aug 6, 2008 11:08:49 AM

22. Joseph hon, it's Jewish religious "law" or tradition - if your mother is a Jew, you are. It's not just a religion, it's an ethnic group. I suppose this grew out of the diaspora of Jews throughout the world in the last 2000 years.

On the other hand, there is no overarching Jewish Authority - no Jewish Pope - so it depends on each individual to decide who they believe themselves to be.

Posted by: dave | Aug 6, 2008 2:44:20 PM

23. Oh, I forgot to say - this Jew would be happy to kiss (etc. etc.) James Franco whatever he thinks he is! So f'in handsome...

Posted by: dave | Aug 6, 2008 2:49:35 PM

24. Oh, I just watched the vid. Now I want to marry him. Period.

Posted by: dave | Aug 6, 2008 3:01:45 PM

25. ditto,
    he is a cute little pothead :)
    and a sexy one, too, man!

Posted by: BINDRIX | Oct 1, 2008 1:05:16 AM