Art and Design | Barack Obama | News | San Francisco

Leather-Capped Obama Present at Folsom Street Fair

Obamaobey

This (appropriate for its context) parody of the well-known Shepard Fairey Obama poster was apparently plastered everywhere at last weekend's Folsom Street Fair in San Francisco, the self-described "grand daddy of all leather events."

Joe.My.God reports that Peter LaBarbera of Americans for Truth has begun his yearly crusade against the gathering.

You may remember the controversy last year over the fair's promotional materials, a parody of daVinci's "The Last Supper". As far as I know, this Obama piece was not authorized by the event but just posted by a supporter.

(source: flickr user solsken)

Comments

1. I find this poster rather offensive. The word "obey" suggests that Obama is a dictator, which couldn't be further from the truth.
    Leather assumes that we are all weak sissies naturally, and need to wear our stregnth in costume form.

Posted by: Ty | Sep 30, 2008 2:36:53 PM

2. Handing the racist wingnuts fodder. How long til this appears on FauxNews?

Posted by: sam | Sep 30, 2008 2:39:25 PM

3. Handing the racist wingnuts fodder. How long til this appears on FauxNews?

Posted by: sam | Sep 30, 2008 2:39:58 PM

4. In the follow-up poster, McCain appears as a submissive bottom wearing a ball-gag and nipple clamps.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 30, 2008 2:53:53 PM

5. "...McCain appears as a submissive bottom wearing a ball-gag and nipple clamps...."

submissive-- my submissive ass. Old John is a power bottom. You can see it in his eyes, and his famous temperment. Hot!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 30, 2008 3:06:20 PM

6. Great poster!

Wow. Some of you have no sense of humor. LOL!

Posted by: Al | Sep 30, 2008 3:18:19 PM

7. I spent five hours at Folsom Street Fair and never saw this poster or the reported sex toys shaped in Obama's image (mentioned in today's SF Chronicle). Course, I may have been too busy watching 80s bands and averting my gaze from the bodies no one really wants or needs to see...

Sam, how could this be used as anti-Obama fodder, exactly? It's clearly not from his campaign. Get over it.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 30, 2008 4:55:47 PM

8. thank you Al. I was starting to fret that people had lost all sense of humor.

it's freaking hysterical.

the word "obey" has more to do with him being a dominant daddy and not a dictator - and it is also the name of shepard fairey's company - "obey giant".

relax and allow a little giggle.

Posted by: buzz | Sep 30, 2008 4:57:44 PM

9. I think that poster is disgusting and extremely inappropriate.

Does everything have to be about sex? Are you all that sex obsessed? Grow up already.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 30, 2008 5:44:19 PM

10. I was at the Folsom Fair and also did not see this.

Posted by: Ken | Sep 30, 2008 5:59:48 PM

11. Ty: I dunno. "The leather scene clings to presupposition that motorcycle gear can be worn without the motorcycle.
    Leather assumes that we are all weak sissies naturally, and need to wear our strength in costume form." Isn't leather a form of protection? Isn't a sign of vulnerability? You could read it both ways. That, and the motorcycles are still around, and gone mainstream to the point that no one bats an eyelash at guys in gear. Didn't McCain campaign at Sturgis?

Posted by: anon | Sep 30, 2008 6:17:04 PM

12. Oh hey, sorry Mark...did I miss something?? I've been posting on craigslist and updating my Xtube profile while looking at ads on man4mansexonmymindallthetime.com

Posted by: basis4insanity | Sep 30, 2008 7:02:30 PM

13. I actually agree with Ty--wingnuts could spin the "obey" bit into a "cult of personality" meme, completely ignoring that that's what they've been trying to do FOR Bush for years. I would've liked to have seen this exact same image with a slogan underneath of "Yes, SIR!" or "Who's your Daddy?" Those might've worked a tad better. Nice graphic, though.

Posted by: Dback | Sep 30, 2008 11:04:20 PM

14. I want to see Sarah Palin as a dominatrix!

Posted by: Joe | Oct 1, 2008 6:33:44 AM