Music | News | Will Young

BigGayDeal.com

Pop Singer Will Young: 'I'm the Worst Gay Person Ever'

Will_young

Said Young, who came out shortly after winning Pop Idol in 2002: "I'm the worst gay person ever. If [my coming out] helped some people, then great. The thing is though, I never wanted to be in a box. I still don't. I mean, if an issue is prevalent, then I'm happy to make a comment about being gay, middle-class or a singer, whatever. It's not like I'm a big gay campaigner picking up my mantle...I'm growing older and grumpier. Next tour, I'm taking a soapbox and a loudhailer."

Check out the video for Young's latest single "Changes" AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I think Mark Buse already has that title.

Posted by: George | Sep 23, 2008 1:09:06 PM

2. I'll teach you a lesson.

Posted by: JeffRob | Sep 23, 2008 1:19:02 PM

3. "[I]f an issue is 'prevalent'[sic] "? Sorry Georgie Porgie, you are not even relevant, or talented.

Posted by: rudy | Sep 23, 2008 1:28:25 PM

4. Will's music is very enjoyable to me. I think he's talented.

Posted by: jeff | Sep 23, 2008 1:40:46 PM

5. Is the comment in response to something? It doesn't make sense...

Posted by: JP | Sep 23, 2008 2:28:24 PM

6. Wants to feast off of the hard work of his older and grumpier elders.

Well kid, You owe a ton to people who did/ were "big gay campaigner picking up my mantle"

As a younger dude, I owe a ton and thank my elder queers who fought long and hard during the ACT UP days etc.

Away with the selfish idiot child

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Sep 23, 2008 2:53:13 PM

7. Well, since he's gay, isn't it assumed he doesn't want anything to do with "boxes" especially being "inside" one?

Posted by: wink | Sep 23, 2008 2:58:36 PM

8. It was a big thing when he came out after Pop Idol (in Britain), which didn't affect us much in the U.S., so the haters on here need to cut him a bit of slack. He got tagged as the "gay pop idol" very quickly and he wore it and wears it quite proudly these past few years. He's a very creative artist (check out his other videos -- very non-traditional in their editing and subject matter), so it warrants that he should be MORE than just the sum of his gay parts. I didn't gather that he was dissing the accomplishments of gay artists before him, so let's not go there. If anything, he was being a bit self-deprecating.

Posted by: michael | Sep 23, 2008 4:34:28 PM

9. this article has no context and hence, no importance or relevance. who asked the question? and, why?

Posted by: nic | Sep 23, 2008 5:43:09 PM

10. I'd do him in a New York second.

Posted by: Fix It Again Tony | Sep 23, 2008 6:09:33 PM

11. Give the guy a break, his music is fantastic. Try his other songs on utube. I have all his CDs, except the newest "Changes." Also the songs are wonderful! The song Friday's Child is a winner. As a matter of fact, all the music videos are memorable.

Posted by: Lee | Sep 23, 2008 6:20:25 PM

12. Isn't he what we'dlike to be thought of as gay men and women. No different than everyone else. No scandal, no soapbox, maybe boring, but definitely talented. How does that compare to the representation of gays that people like George Michael and BoyGeorge have created for us. Seems like a good thing.

Posted by: glennmcgahee | Sep 24, 2008 8:43:22 AM

13. Feh. I don't have any problems with what he said.

Also, in reply to the comment that he isn't "talented" or "relevant": I think he's both. Add handsome to the mix, too.

Posted by: Fredo | Sep 28, 2008 3:31:36 PM

14. I'm 43 years old and have always felt the same as Young. I just don't care about what the Gay Orthodox think. Screw Gay Culture.

I happy just being a regular old avowedly homosexual MSM. No, it doesn't mean I like musical theatre and Project Runway. It only means I like men.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 30, 2008 6:06:55 PM