California | Gay Marriage | News

San Jose Marriage Equality Supporters Point Out Proud Bigot Family

Sanjoseprop8

The Proposition 8 battle is being fought on the street in San Jose. After one family claims a 'Yes on 8' sign was stolen from their front yard, they replaced it with a huge banner on the front of their house.

BigotfamilySupporters of marriage equality then parked an SUV directly in front of the house with a sign and arrow on the windshield, indicating "Bigots Live Here."

CBS5 reports: "The Sundstroms called the police, but an officer told them he couldn't do much about the car unless it was parked for more than 3 days on the public street. The Sundstroms have taken particular care not to touch or wash off the message, hoping it will just go away without further incident. Even if it is an embarrassment to all who pass by. Michele Sundstrom has had difficulty explaining the van to her children, 'My 11-year-old asked me 'What's a bigot? Is that a bad word?'"

Yes it is a bad word, haters.

Watch the news report. The reporter is so obviously 'pro-family'.

Comments

1. EXCELLENT! Good for the SUV owners!

Posted by: Mike | Oct 21, 2008 9:53:40 AM

2. So calling a bigot a bigot is going too far, but plastering the side of your house with a hateful message is OK???

Posted by: Sam | Oct 21, 2008 9:56:49 AM

3. "Taking free speech too far" my ass. Sounds like California needs more brave folks like the SUV owners.

Posted by: Chris in Kansas | Oct 21, 2008 10:01:20 AM

4. If the SUV fits....

A very sobering Time Magazine article:

We have to defeat Prop 8 in CA to turn the tide on this!

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 21, 2008 10:16:19 AM

5. Not that I can really bring myself to feel sorry for the Sundstroms, but tactics like this are counter-productive, in my opinion.

Posted by: Sasha | Oct 21, 2008 10:18:21 AM

6. If the SUV owners really care about marriage equality, then they should have parked their car outside the house, gone up to the front door, rung the bell, and asked for permission to explain to the Sundstroms, in a polite and non-aggressive manner, why they are against Proposition 8. Who knows - if they had argued persuasively enough, and come prepared with some really well-thought-out points, they might have managed to change the Sundstroms' minds. Whereas action like this will only entrench the Sundstroms in their hatred, allow them to believe that they are the "victims", and also enlist public sympathy for them. Unfortunately.

Posted by: Sasha | Oct 21, 2008 10:25:37 AM

7. I really really REALLY hope all three of their sons turn out to be GAY GAY GAY. Payback would be a MOTHERF*****.

Posted by: SONNIE | Oct 21, 2008 10:30:56 AM

8. I love it.

Call a spade a spade.

Posted by: Dan B | Oct 21, 2008 10:33:05 AM

9. I've been accused of being a "queer radical" by some parties in past posts, so my leftist inclinations are well-attested (!).

However, does this SUV incident make anyone else uncomfortable?

Who cares if one side is aligned with a political construct such as "pro-family" (and all the baggage that that comes with), or "pro-equality" (and all that THAT indexes)? Simply put, this is a house that people own and live in. The SUV feels a little bit like a shame and intimidation tactic of the kind that has historically been used against queer people and other social "underdogs" for centuries. Now that the shoe is somewhat on the other foot, meaning now that queer people and those who sympathize with gay causes are somewhat free to be vocal participants in political debates, does that mean we should stoop to shame and intimidation tactics as well? Is this still a democracy where people can proclaim their political beliefs on their own property without fear of intimidation and, worse, retaliation?

This is the conundrum that comes with politicizing gay issues such as marriage equality: as a now political issue, it will be vocally opposed by groups of people who have every right to do so, such as by placing a banner on their property that reads: "Yes on 8. It's about more than marriage." Although I disagree entirely with its content and meaning, it isn't that harsh or provocative a statement.

A justifiable counter to these peoples banner would be to park an SUV outside of their home with a sign that reads: "NO on 8. It really IS about more than just marriage!"

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Oct 21, 2008 10:36:06 AM

10. I need to add that being gay is not a bad thing. I am gay and proud, but to the Sundstroms,it would be awful if their sons turned out to be gay. It would be payback well deserved.

Posted by: SONNIE | Oct 21, 2008 10:41:40 AM

11. good they deserve it.

Posted by: queerunity | Oct 21, 2008 10:42:36 AM

12. Needless to say, I disagree with the Sundstroms. But I'm inclined to agree with Sasha on this one. The Sundstroms are probably a lost cause, but what about the persuadable middle?

I think that a lot of otherwise decent people who are not generally bigots might be taking (what I readily agree is) a *bigoted position* on Prop 8 because they're vaguely scared of change. It strikes me that the way to win them over is not with aggressive tactics like these but with calm, well-reasoned arguments, some humor (those Project Homo viral videos Andy ran last week were brilliant) and a general refusal to sink to the same tactics the proponents of 8 are taking. Think of it as the Obama-esque, take the high road approach.

[By the by, not that I want them to get in trouble, but I couldn't help but notice how close to the driveway the SUV is parked. Where I live in DC, you could get ticketed and towed for that.]

Posted by: Hermes in DC | Oct 21, 2008 10:43:29 AM

13. The word "hate" loses power when it is used inappropriately. I strongly disagree with the Sundstroms and think they are misguided, but I'm not sure they deserve the label of "hater."

Posted by: Jim | Oct 21, 2008 10:51:31 AM

14. I wish they would park that suv in front of a house on my block with a similar sign.

I'm still lost as to why people like the Sundstrom's and my Mormon neighbors are so afraid of thier marriage rights being take?These kinds of folks really need to adress thier own sexuality issues, as that seems to be the biggest problem of all, and, not thier so called faith of hate.

And, yes Michelle, you are a bigot so explain it to your kids what it means and forteaching your kids that hate is a fmaily value.

Posted by: Ty | Oct 21, 2008 11:00:23 AM

15. It gets worse: Channel 5 is the station that employs the ONE out TV reporter in San Francisco but in covering the story from the poor shat upon bigots' perspective, particularly with reporter's tsk tsk "gone too far" editorial swipe and the in house anchors further editorializing about "pushing the envelope of free speech" and a similar comment from the co-anchor not shown in the clip is the perfect example of how homohatred doesn't qualify as "bigotry" in the majority of nongays' minds [& too many gays' — FUCK YOU Sasha, Hermes, Andalusian DOG!!!]. But "news" stations are supposed to report on the difference not reproduce and applaud it.

If the van were parked next to the home of someone with a huge KKK banner would they have treated it the same way? Does the fact that such bigotry is religiously based justify it? Confederate states president Jefferson Davis said "[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation."
    Late Alabama Gov. George "Segregation Today, Segregation Tomorrow, Segregation Forever" Wallace probably had his ideas reinforced in church, too, at one time. Those who killed some 3000 people in the World Trade Center on 9/11 and blew a bus up in Afghanistan this week defend their actions in the name of their religious belief. How can an 11-yr. old NOT know already know what a "bigot" is, of any type? What does, "It's about more than marriage" mean? How does "gay marriage" "hurt" straight marriage? You can ask the "but homohatred is different" reporter and the folks at Ch. 5 these questions at

matierandross@sfchronicle.com [the reporter]

aemartin@kpix.cbs.com [the anchor]

The station: http://cbs5.com/contact

OR:

415-765-8622

415-765-8717

415-362-5550

415)-765-8864

We will NEVER have equality until such people understand that:

Fag = Nigger = Spic = Kike, et al.

"Protect Marriage"/Prop 8 = Segregation = Jim Crow Laws = Nuremberg Laws, et al.

And it is not just about different OPINIONS but about one group trying to take away the civil right to act of others.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Oct 21, 2008 11:08:31 AM

16. @ Un Chien Andalou,

We have known since the AIDS crisis began that turning the other cheek and hoping for the hate to stop is innefective at best and hopelessly delusional at worst. When do we say enough? I believe that short of instigating and initiating physical violence, I say, a tooth for a tooth and an eye for an eye. I agree with Dan B., call a spade a spade.

Posted by: Bading | Oct 21, 2008 11:11:41 AM

17. Big surprise. The Sundstrom's are Mormons. They are listed on the Mormon's Prop 8 site. And donated $30,000 just yesterday in the wake of this incident. In the end not a good result for us.

Willing to mortgaging their children's' future for hate. That's what we are up against...

Posted by: Inlookout | Oct 21, 2008 11:23:16 AM

18. You just know girls are starting to run out of Absolut right now. WHich is probably what they had been drinking when they came up with this lame brained idea. How will they get to the Safeway to restock? Clock is ticking. She needs her SUV back.

Posted by: no on (h)8 | Oct 21, 2008 11:33:45 AM

19. Sorry, why should anyone have sympathy for the Sundstroms? They took a side and used their free speech and now someone has made them feel uncomfortable. Boo-hoo. Crybabies. Did the Sundstroms care about how their actions hurt gay families? No.

Let them deal with the fall out of their hate.

Bigots like the Sundstroms get bask in the sun in their "normality." Why should the not be confronted and made to defend their positions?

Posted by: noah | Oct 21, 2008 11:45:35 AM

20. Has anyone run the liscense plate on the SUV to see who owns it and if anyone is taking credit for it? That looks like a "MAV" or Mormon Assault Vehicle to me, you know the one that all six kids jump out of when Mom stops in front of school, or soccer practice. You can find them in abundance in the parking lot of every Mormon Church in America, this would not surprise me to be a publicity stunt, I mean what gay person do you know that drives a huge SUV like that??

Posted by: Jon92027 | Oct 21, 2008 11:56:16 AM

21. That Prop 8 might pass in Cali is very frightening, esp to someone in the midwest such as myself who keep hoping that maybe the krazy kristian koalition hasn't taken over the country...but I'm starting to believe they have. A victory for them here will really embolden them. What if McCain wins and dies and Palin becomes President? Next stop gay concentration camps? Sounds silly but the Jews and the Japanese were rounded up in times of 'war'...and you know how the krazy kristians like to frame their anti-gay battle as a war.

Maybe I'm just feeling extra paranoid this morning.

Posted by: Ben | Oct 21, 2008 11:59:19 AM

22. If this passes what's to stop the CA Supreme Court from ruling it unconstitutional again? Someone please explain.

"Big surprise. The Sundstrom's are Mormons. They are listed on the Mormon's Prop 8 site. And donated $30,000 just yesterday in the wake of this incident."

I hope they lose their house.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 21, 2008 11:59:43 AM

23. How do these Mormons have all this money that they are throwing around in this hate-filled election year 'marriage' protection tripe in Calif and Arizona??? I know its a cult where they teach that hatred of gays, blacks and anyone who does not belive that Jesus was a Native American is doomed, but, give me a break, its not as if any of them are doing anything to better the world to have all this money.

Posted by: Luke | Oct 21, 2008 12:16:15 PM

24. I'm wondering what you Gay folk in California are going to do should your constitution be amended. For those of you that suggest sweet dialog and trying to "reason" with the YES on 8 folks, are you going to shake their hands and say, "well done old chap. Good fair fight".

I suspect the reaction from the Gay citizens will be like that of others, roll over, play dead, weep and moan. Hey that's democracy, get used to it. And I don't want to hear you bitch about, "But it's NOT fair".

So if you want to get mad you better do it now while you can. Getting Mad after you lose the battle is a waste of time and sorrow.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Oct 21, 2008 12:20:52 PM

25. Brava. We have kept our collective mouths SHUT for far too long.

Now if only our het "allies" could grow a backbone and open their mouths also.

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Oct 21, 2008 12:42:12 PM