Barack Obama | Election 2008 | John McCain | News

BigGayDeal.com

McCain Campaign's Race-Baiting Creating Dangerous Atmosphere

Wadewilliams

And it must stop.

Wade Williams, a 75-year-old Louisiana man was arrested for threatening to kill election officials yesterday.

The Smoking Gun: "Angered by a delay in the receipt of his voter registration card, a Louisiana man today threatened to shoot election officials, claiming that he urgently needed to cast a ballot to 'keep the nigger out of office,' according to police. Wade Williams, 75, was arrested this morning on a felony terrorizing charge after allegedly calling the Registrar of Voters and warning that he would come to the state office and empty his shotgun unless he got his registration card."

In addition to McCain supporters yelling out slurs of "terrorist" at McCain rallies and "kill him" at Palin rallies, with no objections from the candidates themselves, there has been more.

Check out the clip to the left at a Palin rally in Strongville, Ohio (via Pam).

MSNBC reports: "As seen at recent McCain events, this afternoon's crowd was vocal in their support for McCain and their anger with Senator Obama. At one point one man could be heard yelling, 'Off with his head,' when McCain spoke about Obama's tax plan."

Off with his head?

McCain's Tuesday night referral to Obama as "that one" feeds right into this. It's an attempt to dehumanize him as a candidate and an individual.

Is any of this presidential? No. It's sickening. It's inciting division, hate, and racism, and, as evidenced by the Wade Williams arrest above, violence. The McCain campaign has gone so far as to release a disgusting TV spot about Obama's relationship with Bill Ayers yesterday (right) in an attempt to smear Obama with associations to "domestic terrorism."

Yesterday, Obama told ABC's Charlie Gibson: "Why don't we just clear it up right now. I'll repeat again what I've said many times. This is a guy who engaged in some despicable acts 40 years ago when I was eight years old. By the time I met him, 10 or 15 years ago, he was a college professor of education at the University of Illinois . . . And the notion that somehow he has been involved in my campaign, that he is an adviser of mine, that . . . I've 'palled around with a terrorist', all these statements are made simply to try to score cheap political points."

Yesterday, McCain appeared in an interview with Sean Hannity to bring up the Ayers story (left), yet he won't even address it to Barack Obama's face.

CNN's Campbell Brown notes that twice in the last week McCain surrogates have referred to Obama as "Barack Hussein Obama."

Says Brown: The implication is clear. It's foreign-sounding, it's Muslim-sounding, it's un-American-sounding. It's dangerous-sounding. What it is is race-baiting. And that is what is dangerous."

Watch Campbell Brown, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I think the term race-baiting is incorrect. Being a Muslim is not a race; it's a religion identified with Terrorism. Basically they are trying to associate him with being a terrorist.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 9, 2008 10:23:56 AM

2. Yes, we knew this was coming. But what does that inbred, descendent of whores in the above picture think he's going to accomplish? He can't vote in Ohio or Missouri or Indiana: states that are in play. What an idiot--his state is already McCain country....unless even White Louisianans are starting to see the light--even the great number of Louisianans who've been "passing" since slavery ended. I doubt it.

Yes, there is real danger for Barack Obama. He knew this when he started his campaign. He is brave.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 9, 2008 10:33:48 AM

3. Well, being that it's only 1958, I can understand t--

Oh right. It's 2008. My bad. Well, then these are just ignorant jackasses.

And it would make me glad to live in Canada, except ours aren't much better.

Posted by: Mara | Oct 9, 2008 10:36:22 AM

4. And these are the specters that the populus will remember. This is the pre-ballot diversion that the GOP longs and strives for.

This is not as low as it can and will go, I look for violence, unchecked, to escalate each day as McCain smugly grins, clenching onto his NRA endorsement.

Posted by: Rad | Oct 9, 2008 10:44:04 AM

5. the outcome of this election could very well hinge on all those wanting to vote actually getting the opportunity to do so, or not...
    between long lines, intimidation, and faulty voting apparatus (not to mention involvement by the Republican C.I.A.) this election could easily result in yet another corrupted finish line.

and yes, even this "shit-for-brains McCain-demographic" Wade Williams deserves to vote.

Posted by: Pbar | Oct 9, 2008 11:00:20 AM

6. I think McCain is really a good guy who loves his country and wants to do whats right. But I think he has lost his way and has sold his soul and his beliefs to do whatever it takes to win this election.

So much for the maverick who said he is a straight talker. All I've heard over the last few weeks if not months is his saying one thing but backtracking when he gets questioned.

And Sarah Palin..how dare she say that we should look into Obama and his past when she won't even acknowledge her scary past.

I am so ready for this country to move forward and this election to be over. It's giving me a headache.

Posted by: Kyle | Oct 9, 2008 11:08:14 AM

7. Wow, the hatred is getting scary, between the hate of O because he is half black and the gay bashing and typical hate spewed of the so called church folks here in Cali over Prop 8, hopefully, China and Russia will start running the world, at least they don't claim to be democracies.

The true test will be if there are enough decent people in this country to denounce Mc Bush and that trifling bigot Palin on election day.

Posted by: Cody | Oct 9, 2008 11:11:26 AM

8. Andy, I understand the posting. I really do. It's one thing to deride Obama on tax policy. It's another to start making death threats or insinuating that Obama is hanging around with terrorists. These sort of misrepresentations have been in the Republican playbook for quite some time.

That said, are you REALLY surprised by this? As Derrick from Philly said, I knew this was coming. This guy just got caught saying what many others are thinking.

After the debate on Tuesday, David Gergen referred to some studies and said Obama's lead may be less then it appears or it might even be greater when you take into account racial attitudes.

That's one of the reasons that I am very, very, very concerned about this election.

Posted by: Brandon | Oct 9, 2008 11:12:57 AM

9. I'm not surprised that this mentality exists. I know it's out there.

I just think it's important to bring to attention the way McCain and Palin are not only complacent about it but complicit in it.

Posted by: andy | Oct 9, 2008 11:29:44 AM

10. ANDY it's rare you respond to comments. I think you have been great with your coverage of both conventions and with coverage of a historic election.

Good to see you are holding strong, note the use of 'g's'.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 9, 2008 11:46:24 AM

11. My worry is that this is just the beginning. Remember, people rioted in the street to prevent integration of public schools.

McCain/Palin and their "base" -- the only ones still voting for them...are going to go down kicking and screaming.

Look for a lot of legal challenges anywhere they can too...they will spare no expense.

It is some sort of confluence of circumstances and Obama's unique qualitites that has put us on the path to our first African-American president. And no matter what people say, I, like all Americans, know that race is an issue in large segments of the American population to this day.

I just want the Republicans out on their ear soooooooooooo bad.

Posted by: JJ | Oct 9, 2008 11:50:37 AM

12. Many people look and John and Sarah and see 'mavericks'. Frankly, I looked right into their eyes and saw KKK. Folks, this is some scary shit. I knew the more popular Obama became, the more likely the crazys would come out of the woodwork. I've never considered myself racist, but I am predjudice against one thing: stupidity...and there's clearly a lot of it in this country. God Bless us ALL.

Posted by: Keith | Oct 9, 2008 12:03:38 PM

13. I can't watch it. I can't watch the video from Pam's House Blend. To think that such ignorant people will be helping to elect the next U.S. President is just too much to take.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 9, 2008 12:08:32 PM

14. Amen, Keith, Amen.

Posted by: Rad | Oct 9, 2008 12:20:18 PM

15. Ah, I think Andy would have a better case if the guy said, "keep the terrorist out of office". As it stands, it's been Obama=Terrorist. It was the HRC campaign that tried Obama=Black. Nice try, but no.

Posted by: anon | Oct 9, 2008 12:22:42 PM

16. No one should be surprised by this. Please take a step back at look at how the GOP has run its campaigns post 1967 when it adopted the Southern Strategy:

Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and George H.W. Bush all used vivid anti-black racist rhetoric to win votes.

George W. Bush in 2004 used homophobia to get out the vote. Right?

Outside the presidential elections, the GOP used both racism and homophobia regularly around the countries. Other GOP members used anti-Latino racism to win voters whom they whipped up into a frenzy over fears of a Reconquista by the brown folks.

This is one of the reasons why I find Republicans and gay Republicans so despicable. Whenever the going gets rough the GOP injects hate into a campaign to win. It's a great technique (some Democrats use it, too--Geraldine Ferraro!).

Thus, when gay Republicans come to this site and call progressive gays intolerant, all the while gay Repubs tacitly or directly improving the GOP's disgusting tactics, I don't have patience for them.

Seriously, people need to get their heads out of their asses and look at what's happening in California and Arizona. These anti-gay measures are a great way to get out the bigot vote. Why do you think McCain endorsed both? The same reason why George W. Bush did so!

This presidential election is a turning point for the country. The Supreme Court is the real prize. If we don't get a liberal, progressive president into office to appoint fair-minded judges, we are screwed!

If you care about marriage or civil unions, understand that the only way to ensure full equality is at the federal level via legislation and Supreme Court rulings. Please take a look at the Civil Rights movement. Look at the importance of Loving v. Virginia.

Posted by: noah | Oct 9, 2008 12:32:33 PM

17. Yeah, why are we surprised? And why do we assume that the McCain camp is encouraging racism? People are racist...sorry but they are. That will not change. Just because I'm not thrilled with Obama's plans does not make me a racist. Also, he needs to be proud of his middle name and not hide it. When he takes the oath of office, he will say "Barack Hussein Obama" just like "William Jefferson Clinton." Its not like its a secret. Oh, and isn't his birth name "Barry?" If he chose his name, he should be proud of it and not care that anyone is using it. The more we get mad that it is being used, the more people are going to use it to make us mad. "People only push our buttons because we have shown them where our buttons are."

Posted by: BC | Oct 9, 2008 12:32:41 PM

18. Right. Embrace your name, Brucie!

Posted by: 24play | Oct 9, 2008 12:38:17 PM

19. And, check this out. This is why there is going to be a problem on election day. This is not racist. This is what is going on in this election. Neither side is clean. The Democrats have already retained several lawyers with papers drawn up to contest elections on Nov. 4th. I would be surprised if we have a winner on Nov. 5th.

Posted by: BC | Oct 9, 2008 12:44:02 PM

20. Where was the outrage when the press, blogs and SNL attacked Sarah Palin and her family? Where was the disgust from the Democrats? Obama and his staff brought this on themselves. They did nothing to stop it. All you're going to do is anger the other side. There's plenty of hate in this country and across the planet. I've seen plenty of hate from each side so just save it. This used to a blog I liked to visit but it's just another smear blog. You're just as bad as them.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 9, 2008 12:47:12 PM

21. Yeah, Brucie, that might be a factor in a close election. But this one won't be.

Obama's going to be so far ahead everywhere that a little fraud and voter suppression around the edges isn't going to make a damn bit of difference.

We're all going to get plenty of sleep on Nov. 4th because the race will be called by midnight Eastern Time.

Posted by: 24play | Oct 9, 2008 12:50:51 PM

22. 24PLAY, This election is going to be contested in about 11 states making the the Florida debacle look like child's play.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 9, 2008 1:01:46 PM

23. Again, I look at your comments, and I'll can think is WOW. The Queen is really the only one of you with a shred of self-knowledge on here. Re-read your comments, and tell me how it is 'wrong' for the white bigot to hate on Obama, but it is 'right' for all of you to hate on McCain and his supporters with the same vehemence and similar epithets?

Posted by: dc8stretch | Oct 9, 2008 1:07:19 PM

24. Go ahead and contest, anon. You know what's gonna happen if you fuckers try and steal the election via the courts when Obama's walking into the polls with a double-digit national lead and significiant 5+ point leads in most of the swing states?

Riots that'll make the Rodney King verdict look like a cakewalk.

Posted by: Dan | Oct 9, 2008 1:12:25 PM

25. "Re-read your comments, and tell me how it is 'wrong' for the white bigot to hate on Obama, but it is 'right' for all of you to hate on McCain and his supporters with the same vehemence and similar epithets?"

We don't have a history of assasinating folks because of the color of their skin, or because we don't agree them. Men like that Louisiana redneck above have a history of committing political violence since the beginning of this country.

"Where was the outrage when the press, blogs and SNL attacked Sarah Palin and her family? Where was the disgust from the Democrats?"

Well, the press and the Democrats couldn't believe that John McCain would pick a family who appear to be totally unfit for living in the vice-presidential spotlight. Living in rustic Alaska, killing moose and belonging to right-wing successionists movements seem much more suitable for the Palin family--except for Sarah, they all appear uncomfortable with the attention trust on them. Mama Sarah wasn't very considerate of her family's feelings.

In other words, the Palins are kinda' common & trashy.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 9, 2008 1:36:22 PM