I'm Gay | News | Rachel Maddow

Rachel Maddow on Gay Hate Mail and Coming Out of the Closet

MSNBC's Rachel Maddow appeared Conan O'Brien's show friday night and discussed becoming a journalist, Ted Stevens' 56-second long standing ovation good-bye in the Senate (8 seconds for every felony), playing 'Iran' as a child, Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, and being an openly gay TV anchor.

MaddowSaid Maddow: "I get a lot of mail - some of it hate mail, some of it nice mail - about the fact that I am openly gay. I get straight men writing me emails or sending me letters saying, 'if I like you, does that make me a lesbian?'...So I always just say 'yes.'

She jokes, "It's well-known among gay people if you have any interest in a gay person whatsover, even if you're not sure they're gay, that if you're a man that makes you a woman - check your pants - and you're definitely gay. It's nice. It's meant to be a compliment, but... they're trying to compliment me and also tell me that they're not gay. It's awkward, and then you also get the hate mail where people write in specifically to tell me that i'm gay. As if I didn't know. Oh my God I had no idea. I'll get off television. That is the single best thing about coming out of the closet, is that nobody can insult you by telling you what you just told them."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This woman is fast becoming my new hero.

Posted by: David D. | Nov 24, 2008 9:37:19 AM

2. I am a gay man who is totally in love with her, and if that makes me a lesbian, then so be it!

Posted by: Christopher, Louisville, KY | Nov 24, 2008 9:55:47 AM

3. A role model in so many ways (openly gay, real intellectual bona fides, career success, sexy nerd, seemingly fearless, widely liked, etc., etc.). Truly refreshing.

Posted by: Gianpiero | Nov 24, 2008 10:55:49 AM

4. I agree she is hot. I am a little miffed at her because she had Mike Huckabee on her show and she didn't mention anything about his comments about there not being any violence against gay. I will give her another chance but if she does it again, I'll have to be mad at her until she brings me a cat or something lesbiany. : ) Love heeer!!!

Posted by: Keith | Nov 24, 2008 10:58:20 AM

5. My wife rolls her eyes every time I say it. But I love her.

Posted by: Rachel | Nov 24, 2008 4:04:15 PM

6. This interview is so refreshing because you never see out public figures talk about being gay and how that affects their daily life. Kudos to you Rachel!

Posted by: AL | Nov 25, 2008 2:22:21 PM

7. She should take lessons "how to be a women" from Tammy Bruce. I wonder what made her feel so unsafe as a women that she has to emulate men.

Posted by: gary | Jan 15, 2009 11:35:31 PM

8. Fuck you, Gary.

Posted by: Christopher | Jan 22, 2009 1:11:10 PM

9. She's gay? Why, who knew? I would have never guessed it from her manly face, her Buddy Holly glasses or her SNL "Pat" figure.

She probably has more hair on her ass than Tony Soprano. 8-)

Posted by: JC | Jan 26, 2009 8:44:47 AM

10. man what a fucking dyke! sucks to be gay

Posted by: jesus | Mar 17, 2009 9:11:15 PM

11. Hey we got something in common. We both like to eat pussy !!

Posted by: Jaime de Leon | Aug 20, 2009 9:55:36 PM

12. I used to be a lesbian but after looking at her and hearing her speak, it scared me totally strait. Looking at her is enough to turn ANY lesbian strait, and if I was a guy I wouldn't touch her with a 100' dick it would wilt and fall on upon approach.

Posted by: SEM | Feb 17, 2010 7:28:22 PM

13. It's one thing to be ignorant but to be stupid that's just lackof home training...First things first, how can you get on a national website and embarrass yourself. If Rachel decides she's gay than so e it it is her life, your not living it & not even living in it she don't owe you anything, as to you don't owe her anything...People are so quick to comment on another person but when something is directly related to a situation in your life you have a totally different outlook on life.

Next, you can critise someone and never have known them, the bible says you can't judge anyone the only one can judge it GOD now if you feel your GOD than do as you please but I can honestly say you have no followers, How can some one have a name like JESUS or even if you say it in spanish, how can you have that name and speak on this subject as you do...You need to be worried about making sure the immigrant bill is passed & not what Gay's are doing...Now what if someone would have said something mean like that what would you have said, you would have been mad & commented something mean but in your heaed you would have felt bad...Ya'll are the reason we have kids tormenting kids & Kids taking their own life, I think we need to hold the parents responsible for the violence going on with the Teen Suiside due to being GAY, STOP BEING A DUMB BUTT & GROW THE HECK UP!!!

She is a human so with that being said let her live her life & leave her alone...She don't bother anyone she's just doing her JOB you just mad cause she's rich & is on TV doing her JOB & is GAY & your Not...Such Hater's GET A FREAKING LIFE STAY OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE!!! THE WORLD WILL BE BETTER...

DAG!!! I CALLED PEOPLE LIKE THE IGNORANT ONES ON HERE "NAGATISER'S"...A PERSON THAT HAS NO REASON TO NAG BUT DOES ANYWAY!!!

IF ANYONE HAS A PROBLEM WITH MY COMMENT THEN THE SHOE FITS & YOU CAN WEAR IT... MATTER FACT DEAL WITH IT CAUSE I WAS TALKING TO YOU!!!

Rachael I say do you boo, I know it feel better living openingly than continiously hiding & I am first to commend you on your life what you have done helps to decrease the rate for Teen Suiside due to being Queer, Thank you for your words.

Keyshia

Posted by: Keysh | Jan 13, 2011 3:30:50 AM

14. Oh my gosh!! Could you be any uglier!! I knew you were a fag from the first moment I saw you and you opened your "you had to have worked INTENTLY HARD for years to be that deceived and stupid" mouth!!!

No I'm really not kidding!!! From the first moment I laid eyes on you I saw the evil darkness that has your countenance in the chains of Satan!!!

You are a dark evil stain on the land!!! If the majority embraced the evil that come from your mouth are nation would be destroyed within days thereafter!!! Again you are dark and loathsome!!!!

You faggots speak of HATE? Your heart is full of HATE!!! I don't hate you.. I think you're GROSS and disgusting!!! Filthy and dark!!! You’re so GROSS!!!

You love evil and desire to persuade others to live in chains as well!!! How sick!!! How destructive and cruel!! When I look in your eyes I see darkness!!

The day will come when you seek to hide yourself in the rocks and caves to escape the light!!!

When I look at you it seriously makes me feel like I've got to go vomit, then take a shower in an attempt to feel clean, although I know it won’t work!!!

Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!!!!! (Wile dry heeeeeving)
    KD

Posted by: Have you ever seen Satan? Now you have!!! Rachel Madcow!! Eeeww!! | Mar 18, 2011 3:44:32 AM

15. Rachel Maddow proves that to be lesbian you don't have to be angry-- you just have to be yourself.

I'm a lesbian man (a straight man with a lot of lesbian friends) who is not afraid to say that I have a strong respect for LGBT people, because I don't forget that they're people first. And that's how it should be. :)

Posted by: Henrik Harbin | Oct 25, 2011 1:48:29 PM