Barack Obama | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Obama-mania at the New York Times Building

Line3

What's this you ask? It's a photo of the line outside the New York Times building in Times Square that my bf Dave just sent me. These are people waiting to get a copy of today's paper, since there's nary a copy to be found at any newsstand.

Line4 Line5

Dave reports that it's giddy outside the building, with people snapping photos of each other holding up the paper.

Line2

Comments

1. I love NYC and New Yorkers as well.The city where everyone seems to be from somewhere else originally, yet they end up assimilated. God blessed us all.

Posted by: richard s | Nov 5, 2008 3:01:25 PM

2. Same thing in DC. I could not find one paper in my entire neighborhood after my copy was "mis-delivered" this morning.

Posted by: rudy | Nov 5, 2008 3:46:36 PM

3. People I swear are acting like he is the 2nd coming of Christ... What are they going to do if he isn't as successful as he claims. He DID say change may not happen for a year or even one-term...as in, just like a typical politician, promise a lot before the election, afterwards a "well I'll try but can't guarantee it will be any better."

Posted by: m | Nov 5, 2008 3:51:35 PM

4. People I swear are acting like he is the 2nd coming of Christ... What are they going to do if he isn't as successful as he claims. He DID say change may not happen for a year or even one-term...as in, just like a typical politician, promise a lot before the election, afterwards a "well I'll try but can't guarantee it will be any better."

Posted by: m | Nov 5, 2008 3:51:37 PM

5. While a copy of the NYT on an historical occasion is fine as a momento, it's not a good investment as a collectors item if that's why you want one.

Typically, old newspapers, which must be in perfect condition, only fetch a few dollars....even those over 100 years old. Just check on eBay.

I have a July 20, 1969 NYT with "Man on the Moon" headline. I treasure it, but it's been a huge pain in the ass to move it with all my stuff every time I've relocated throughout the years. :-)

Posted by: Jonny | Nov 5, 2008 4:36:58 PM

6. same thing here in Los Angeles -- went to the Times for a back issue this morning (they don' t sell back issues for cash in person any longer - so that did not work)...

Found 4-5 middle aged/older African American men complaining about not finding a paper in the surrounding paper boxes --- and a woman walked in from the plant holding like 30 copies of the paper and they looked at her like she had gold nuggets... she said in a loud voice "These are for sale Gentlemen!" since they all looked like they were going to rush her... it was weird!" Same on the Register in OC not a copy to be had ... they will have to reprint for sellable back issues and people are ordering I am sure.

DB

Posted by: David B. | Nov 5, 2008 5:03:31 PM

7. I'm so confused. Wouldn't they rather just have "screen grabs"?

Posted by: kenneth | Nov 5, 2008 6:43:48 PM

8. Like i heard today, no one is going to be bookmarking web pages to show to their grandchildren.

The Chicago Sun-Times sold out today -- it didn't hurt that Oprah walked out on her show this morning holding a copy of the paper and pointed to the Obama cover and told everyone it was the Sun-Times. At the Sun-Times store at the Merchandise Mart people were lining up throughout the day to buy copies of the paper because there were no more on the streets. Some were also driving to the printing plant and offering to buy copies off the security guards.

This isn't about collectibles or making money off ebay by selling copies of the paper from today. People just want to remember the day. Many people will take these front pages and frame them in their homes like Irish Catholics in the 1960s had framed photos of JFK in their homes. When people want something real and tangible, they still turn to newspapers.

Posted by: james | Nov 5, 2008 7:34:11 PM