News | Oregon | Stu Rasmussen | Transgender

Stu Rasmussen is the Nation's First Transgender Mayor

Stu

I mentioned him briefly last Friday, but here are three news clips about Stu Rasmussen, who last week became the nation's first transgender mayor when the citizens of Silverton, Oregon elected him:

"Rasmussen, 60, has been a fixture in local politics since the mid-1980s, serving on the city council and twice before as mayor. But that was before the discreet crossdresser decided it was time to stop hiding the high heels and sexy dresses. Eight years ago, he got the implants, which he irreverently dubbed 'the twins.' Ever since, Rasmussen, who, like his father, runs the Palace Theatre at the corner of Oak and Water streets, has been Silverton's man in drag about town."

Watch the news clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

CNN, above. Below, clips from The Oregonian and K2.

Comments

1. I already blogged about him (he prefers "him") but missed my chance to entitle it A DRAG ON THE TICKET.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 11, 2008 9:47:26 AM

2. I thought Stu Rasmussen identified as a woman. Does she not use female pronouns? When I first read the article, I assumed that they had callously mispronouned her. What's the deal? Seems like a refusal to concede that she's a woman -- she's _really_ a he. Am I wrong here? Stu can use whatever pronoun Stu wants but usually a physical transformation is accompanied by a linguistic one. Either Stu is really mixing it up (go Stu!) or Stu's being misrepresented.

Posted by: pronoun | Nov 11, 2008 9:48:20 AM

3. I thought Stu Rasmussen identified as a woman. Does she not use female pronouns? When I first read the article, I assumed that they had callously mispronouned her. What's the deal? Seems like a refusal to concede that she's a woman -- she's _really_ a he. Am I wrong here? Stu can use whatever pronoun Stu wants but usually a physical transformation is accompanied by a linguistic one. Either Stu is really mixing it up (go Stu!) or Stu's being misrepresented.

Posted by: pronoun | Nov 11, 2008 9:49:15 AM

4. This is fascinating to me, as someone who grew up in a small town in Oregon. Particularly, because I know Silverton isn't exactly the most liberal place in Oregon. It's encouraging to me.

Posted by: Steven | Nov 11, 2008 10:51:54 AM

5. i assume we can trust Andy to have confirmed what pronoun Stu identifies with, but it is a smidge confusing that he has breast implants. i guess we need to gender-body construct blinders!

Posted by: le_sacre | Nov 11, 2008 12:07:02 PM

6. I'm so proud of my hometown! I lived there for 18 years and, at that point, was more than happy to get the hell out of there. Everyone knows Stu. As a kid, I just knew him as the guy that dressed up as characters outside the movie theater and had oddly long fingernails. Now, I'm very proud of where I grew up!

Posted by: WeHo Superhero | Nov 11, 2008 1:53:43 PM

7. Pronoun, Stu identifies as a heterosexual man. This is a great story!

Posted by: DCN | Nov 11, 2008 7:41:06 PM

8. This guy probably doesn't realize fully, but he's a true hero and the definition of what America is about: free, hardworking, and giving back to the community. Don't let the morality hypocrites rain on this parade!

Posted by: Tom | Apr 18, 2009 4:13:30 PM