News | Space

A Second Look at the First Look

Space2

Scientists have observed magnetic behavior at one of the poles of Saturn unlike anything they've ever seen in the solar system: "Saturn's main auroral ring, like Earth's, is caused by the solar wind. But the newly observed infrared displays go all over the place. 'We've never seen an aurora like this elsewhere,' the University of Leicester's Tom Stallard, lead author of the Nature paper, said today in a NASA news release. 'It's not just a ring of aurorae like those we've seen at Jupiter or Earth. This one covers an enormous area across the pole. Our current ideas on what forms Saturn's aurorae predict that this region should be empty, so finding such a bright one here is a fantastic surprise.'"

The first image ever taken of Earth from the moon was shot in 1966 by Lunar Orbiter 1. A 20-year project to revamp the image to a higher resolution was recently completed, resulting in what you see below.

Space1

See what it looked like before the re-tooling, AFTER THE JUMP...

Firstimageearth

Comments

1. Ok, who's the geek around Towle Towers?

I get most of my science news here.

Is that sad?

Or fab?

Posted by: Derek Washington | Nov 21, 2008 11:14:41 AM

2. Fab, like you, Derek. Ever thought about changing the spelling of your first name? Your spelling is young and hot! There are more distinguished ways to spell it...belch.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 21, 2008 12:09:05 PM

3. It is so fab... and Derrick - your spelling reminds me of a dirty oil derrick. Derek OTOH is so clean...

*LOL*

Posted by: Pete in Brighton | Nov 21, 2008 1:19:56 PM

4. "...reminds me of a dirty oil derrick"

PETE, I pray every night (twice on Sundays) for somebody to come along to dirty my oil. But I'm going to remedy that...starting tonight I'm stepping out again. I'm going to the Gay Bingo Game for Seniors! Watch out, boys! Get those walkers & wheelchairs outta' the way!

"How do ya' like these egg rolls, Mister Goldstone" (I'm Yiddish friendly, honey)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 21, 2008 3:25:37 PM

5. Would like to say thank you for the informative content on your blog. M.L.

Posted by: Note Specialist | Nov 21, 2008 5:01:29 PM

6. Those vertical lines in the original picture are due to the individual strips of black and white film! (old skool is very cool)

Posted by: RicanGeek | Nov 21, 2008 6:17:09 PM

7. DERRICK, YOU SO CRAZY!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Nov 22, 2008 4:13:32 AM

8. The thought of earth floating around in that vast blackness always freaks me out if I think about it too much, but I'm fascinated by the whole thing too. Great pics.

Posted by: Red | Nov 22, 2008 4:19:40 AM

9. A few years ago a picture book was published that edited photos from all the moon shots into one journey there & back. It was beautiful. I teared up flipping (slowly) through it.

Posted by: Glenn I | Nov 22, 2008 8:18:45 PM

10. I am glad you printed this story. My paintings have been along this theme for years now, fire and turquoise. Wasn't sure why.

Posted by: Charles Merrill | Nov 22, 2008 8:20:52 PM