Art and Design | David Hockney | Film | Gus van Sant | Harvey Milk | James Franco | News | Swimming

A Big Gay Hockney - Van Sant Milk Mash-Up

Hockneymilkmashup

So I came across some stills online today of James Franco's naked swimming scene in Gus van Sant's Milk and it struck me that Van Sant must have been inspired by David Hockney's "Portrait of an Artist (Pool with Two Figures)" and, lo and behold, Franco got the stroke, and Van Sant the angle, just right.

So, above is a mash-up I put together of Hockney's 1971 painting with a still from Milk. I pasted the swimsuit over from the painting so as to keep it SFW. Click to enlarge.

As far as I know, the painting is owned by David Geffen.

I've posted a link to the still and the original painting, AFTER THE JUMP...

Hockneypool

The original painting. View the still HERE (NSFW).

Comments

1. Very astute of you to catch that. It's a clear hommage to Hockney. Be sure to check out Jack Hazan's great doumentary about the Gay God, "A Bigger Splash" -- which deals with the end of Hockney's affair with Peter Schlesinger (the standing figure in the painting.)

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 16, 2008 7:16:53 PM

2. I didn't know Jon Bon Jovi was in the Hockney painting!

Posted by: rob | Dec 16, 2008 8:24:14 PM

3. one of my favourite paintings.Thanks, Andy!

Posted by: Chris in MN | Dec 16, 2008 8:48:58 PM

4. I think there was a very similar scene in Bad Education.

Posted by: BD | Dec 16, 2008 8:58:33 PM

5. Makes me love James Franco even more.

And you too Andy. Stuff like this makes me love you too.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Posted by: Strepsi | Dec 16, 2008 10:28:11 PM

6. You have a keen artistic eye, Andy, and your mash-up makes an excellent desktop image. Much gratitude.

Posted by: Mark | Dec 16, 2008 10:53:28 PM

7. I'm so fucking sick of hetereo-curious actors fucking kissing men so they can get the gay money. Fuck them. As long as they can line their fucking pockets they will kiss a gay man. Otherwise, they couldn't give a fuck. I hope they all fucking never get a job again those dumb ass mother fucking fucking ass pigs.

Posted by: sushi | Dec 16, 2008 11:57:31 PM

8. Don't hold back, Sushi. Tell us what you REALLY think.

Then rent/buy "A Bigger Splash." Everyone in it is REALLY GAY.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 17, 2008 12:24:34 AM

9. I would be more impressive if this were some obscure Norwegian painter with a following of 10 people. But as it is, it's not like the paintings aren't known by every other gay man in Gayville. Let's pat ourselves on the back for recognizing the influence of a well known gay artist on the imagery in a gay movie on a gay blog.

Oh, and what I am tired of is people bitching about the sexual orientation of the actors involved in these projects. The reality is that I don't care what the actor's orientation is. Yes, it would be nice a) if there were more out actors with real talent (there aren't) and b) they wanted to play gay parts (most of them don't) for fear of being "the gay actor."

Actors want to act. They don't want to just be known for being their sexual orientation. Thus, on the one hand , it's wrong. On the other, it will change only when the audience stops caring. When will that happen? Maybe it's an egg versus chicken issue. I don't know. I also don't think its a simple question.

Finally, I think Franco has been very good about his answers. It's not like he chooses the questions people ask him. This is more about again the audience and media coverage.

Posted by: The Gay Numbers | Dec 17, 2008 1:13:46 AM

10. Oh- and I made a mistake. I should have said 'out actors with talent with star power to get movies greenlighted." How many of those do we know?

Posted by: The Gay Numbers | Dec 17, 2008 1:15:45 AM

11. I realized that when I saw the movie. Just sayin.'

Posted by: rascal | Dec 17, 2008 9:16:23 AM

12. "I'm so fucking sick of hetereo-curious actors fucking kissing men so they can get the gay money. Fuck them."

I naively thought the actors took the roles because they were fantastic parts, silly me. I finally saw Milk last night and thought the performances were uniformly terrific. (There were several gay actors in the cast, just not in the lead roles.) The pool scene was one of the many great touches and one that probably wouldn't have been there if Milk had ended up in a straight director's hands. Gus was perfect for this film. And the straight interviewer fixation on the kiss is beyond ridiculous--a kiss is a kiss. Hets can be so squeamishly delicate.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 17, 2008 11:23:36 AM

13. This is why I read Towleroad! Thank You!

Posted by: unicorn rider | Dec 17, 2008 12:38:56 PM

14. Hey I saw the Movie it is Great...Sean Penn was wonderful as usual...As far as him being the Apple of the Gay Eye and connecting all the broken hollywood pieces for every gay person "which is doubtfull" remains unseen...No single movie is ever going to mop up the spoils of Hollywoodome. Movies are'nt made the way they're pertrayed on film...Sean Penn has stated at the premiere that he understands the significants of poli-movements in the land of the so called free...His hope was genuine that it would raise awareness towards the movement and attitude...The reality is this... we are lucky they did'nt shelve this production the timeing of the release could not have been better...

Posted by: Paul | Dec 17, 2008 6:05:13 PM