Barack Obama | Inauguration | News | Rick Warren

BigGayDeal.com

Clueless MSNBC Host Mike Barnicle: Where the Gays Live

Barnicle

In a continuation of his Hardball guest-hosting gig, MSNBC's Mike Barnicle says that if you took Cambridge MA, Georgetown DC, Upper West Side NY, Santa Monica and San Francisco, CA, out of the Rick Warren debate, it would basically be over, because that's apparently where all the gays who are angry live.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Maybe someone should start a website where all us "other" folk could post pics of ourselves telling Mike where the outraged really live. Kinda like people did with Leno's "show me your gayest look"

Posted by: Mike | Dec 23, 2008 11:52:23 AM

2. He needs to add Tucson, Arizona.

Posted by: homer | Dec 23, 2008 11:53:48 AM

3. Another astonishing genius. Where do they find these people?

Posted by: David D. | Dec 23, 2008 11:58:17 AM

4. Heh Angry Homo in Atlanta here.. you mo-ron. *oy*

Posted by: Darren | Dec 23, 2008 12:04:10 PM

5. Wow, I didn't think you could get worse than Chris Matthews...

So this list of places is basically places he's been and observed gay people, right? Because you can't know anything about NYC and think that the UWS is more gay than Chelsea, or, I don't know, the birthplace of the gay rights movement: the West Village.

(PS: Did everyone read the NYT profile of Matthews a while ago?? It's priceless: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/magazine/13matthews-t.html)

Posted by: MC_BK | Dec 23, 2008 12:04:44 PM

6. At least he stuck us in some very nice neighborhoods.

Posted by: Bojo | Dec 23, 2008 12:05:30 PM

7. Sorry, everyone - when Barnicle was disgraced here in Boston after making stuff up for his long-running column in The Boston Globe, we all thought he'd finally disappear. Alas, MSNBC added him to the early morning show as a regular - "Morning Joe?" - and he continues to spew his annoying joe-plumber working class bigotry. I apologize on Boston's behalf.

Posted by: TonyG | Dec 23, 2008 12:05:46 PM

8. I live in Dallas, Texas. Most people I spend my time with aren't real thrilled with this decision.

Posted by: Jonathan | Dec 23, 2008 12:05:47 PM

9. How 'bout the media is only talking to gays on either coast and not middle-America gays. The media is only talking to the gays who basically fowled up the Prop. 8 vote. Also remember, there are a lot of gays who are not actively discriminated against (like myself) who have decided to change minds one or two people at a time and have been very successful. I am out with everyone and have not experienced discrimination personally. Now of course, there is systematic discrimination but I know that our resolve will overturn these issues within a relatively short amount of time. Its hard to be angry all the time when the majority of my life is going pretty damn well. Of course I want to marry my partner of almost 5 years and there is a part of me that is angry that I am not allowed to yet. However, I have a job to do. I have a child to be responsible for. I have a family to interact with and I refuse to let the anger take over my life and sacrifice these other areas that make me who I am.

I am not saying being actively angry is wrong. My whole point is that of course the media is going to talk to the angriest and the loudest. The media just doesn't care about gays in Ohio, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. They only care about "high profile gays" in NY, CA, etc.

Posted by: BC | Dec 23, 2008 12:11:34 PM

10. What a bunch of clueless assholes! If you took a few cities out of the equation, nobody's mad??? There is no debate? The entire rest of the country is fine with this? Huh? And this makes Obama look good to swing voters because middle America and swing voters don't give a rat's ass about gay people and our rights? Wow. That's harsh. Let me paraphrase to make sure I got this right: "So ya see, Obama needs to piss off gay people to show that he's intolerant of gay people, just like swing voters in middle America. And that makes him look good."

Posted by: Mike | Dec 23, 2008 12:12:16 PM

11. Well, MSNBC is the network that spent the last year telling everyone how wonderful Obama was. They are being nothing if not consistent.

Posted by: dk | Dec 23, 2008 12:12:55 PM

12. If you're going to invoke DC, then how about calling out the right neighborhoods (Dupont Circle or Logan Circle anyone). Fools.

Posted by: Free | Dec 23, 2008 12:15:53 PM

13. [email protected]

You can tell them that those of us who live in the rural south and elsewhere care about this issue as well.

Posted by: josh | Dec 23, 2008 12:16:18 PM

14. Why is this plaigiarist even allowed to have a career in journalism?

Posted by: wisebear | Dec 23, 2008 12:16:36 PM

15. What a homophobic piece of shit. This is one pissed off Irish gay watching these Neanderthals lie and "bigot" their way into oblivion.....it's time for all of us to hit back....not only in the USA but all over the world. Absolute equality; nothing else is good enough.

Posted by: hephaistion | Dec 23, 2008 12:23:25 PM

16. What a homophobic piece of shit. This is one pissed off Irish gay watching these Neanderthals lie and "bigot" their way into oblivion.....it's time for all of us to hit back....not only in the USA but all over the world. Absolute equality; nothing else is good enough.

Posted by: hephaistion | Dec 23, 2008 12:23:49 PM

17. That was the group yesterday that was absolutely giddy over Obama tossing us under the bus and Barney Frank being upset about it. Every talking head on that show loved that Obama was about to stick it to the gay community. They were all convinced it was the best thing Obama could do before taking office and was sure to get Obama big headway with the religious right.

Posted by: Jersey | Dec 23, 2008 12:25:01 PM

18. The stupid dumbass forgot to mention Dorchester, where he is from. All the "gays" had to move out of the South End of Boston after making it a livable place again. Where did we all end up? In Dot.
    The Irish capital of America is now one of "those" places that the barnicle on Joe Scab and Tweety's ass says should be taken out of the argument.

Posted by: realitythink | Dec 23, 2008 12:29:10 PM

19. ah, i love idiots.

maybe next time, he will mention that gay people also live in Alexandria, Virginia.

Posted by: Liz templin | Dec 23, 2008 12:40:29 PM

20. Gee, I'm sure all the DC gays would love to live in Georgetown mansions and host faaabulous cocktail parties all the time, but guess what....most can't afford it.

Since the '60s, the center of gay DC has been moving east from Georgetown and into transitional neighborhoods, cleaning them up, and then getting displaced by wealty hetros. G'town may have been a "gay" neighborhood 30 or 40 years ago, but that time is long past.

Posted by: DCGuy | Dec 23, 2008 12:44:47 PM

21. Hell's Kitchen, dammit!

Posted by: Glenn | Dec 23, 2008 12:47:20 PM

22. You know, I've always chided folks for playing the race card when it was only possibly, in the right light, appropriate.

I haven't exact followed Barnicle's career and even if he had been a bonafide 'phobe once, it doesn't mean he still is. Yes, what he said was pretty dumb. Even he can't truly believe that angry gays are sequestered in certain areas.

But calling him a homophobe because of this is over the top. WAY over. We're so angry over 8 and now Warren, we are smiting anything that acts like it has a dissenting opinion -- even Melissa Etheridge.

Anyone ever heard the phrase divide and conquer? Sheeesh .....

Posted by: Taylor Siluwé | Dec 23, 2008 12:48:34 PM

23. What about us angry gays in Montana? Granted, we're buried under snow right now, but still...

Posted by: bozeman | Dec 23, 2008 12:49:01 PM

24. You can add rural NC to the angry homo list.

Posted by: rayrayj | Dec 23, 2008 12:54:34 PM

25. This just reinforces that the sheer bulk of misconceptions about what it is to be a gay person involves. We do not all share the same neighborhood nor have a hive mind. The dismissive flippant nature of these comments are ridiculously dense. Does anyone assume that all straight people think alike? Fucking lame.

Posted by: g_whiz | Dec 23, 2008 1:18:51 PM