News | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

He's a Jet all the Way

Tony

The Broadway revival of West Side Story is on its way and some new promo shots by Joan Marcus have been released. Above, prettyboy Matt Cavenaugh, who plays Tony. George Akram and Cody Green, who play Bernardo and Riff, respectively, AFTER THE JUMP...

Nardo_riff

More production shots HERE.

Comments

1. omg cody was on that dance show on bravo..and was/is soo cute

Posted by: Dustin | Dec 24, 2008 1:16:40 PM

2. I've had a crush on Matt Cavenaugh since I first saw him as the title character in the touring musical "The Picture of Dorian Grey". Not a great musical, but he was terrific. I've enjoyed his performances as Joe Kennedy and Jerry in the musical "Grey Gardens" (what's with him and Grey in the title?) and "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and "Urban Cowboy" Missed seeing him in "Catered Affair" dangit. New chance to see him in one of my favorites!? You BET!

Posted by: BJ | Dec 24, 2008 1:42:23 PM

3. Dang! Riff has got quite a caboose on him!

Posted by: Joe | Dec 24, 2008 2:08:14 PM

4. "West Side Story" is in previews in DC (same as the original). My take: The revival is wonderfully cast but the production is not as good as it could, and should, be. Laurents ought to retire from directing. This WSS revival suffers from the same flaws as his recent re-mounting of "Gypsy," i.e., sloppy staging with uneeded, at best, and distracting, at worst, "updating". This is partially amerliorated by the glorious Robbins choreography restaged in both.

I was anxious to see this revival due to the rewritten dialogue and lyrics in Spanish but was highly disappointed. They should have left Sondheim's masterwork alone. Granted, the lyrics are a bit, but only a bit, "showtuney," however, this show is Sondheim before he was "SONDHEIM". Nevertheless, it is good to see and hear West Side Story once again on The Boards. It made for a great Christmas present for me and my partner. Thankfully, this latest revival is far superior to the horrible lackluster revival in the early 80s which was under-sung, under-acted, and under-danced.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 24, 2008 2:17:00 PM

5. I too love Matt Caveaugh. Ever since I saw the poster for Urban Cowboy (linked here), I was a fan. It was him and Harvey Fierstein's involvement that drove me to see A Catered Affair which, in the end, deserved its quick close. Matt was the best part. Look forward to seeing this.

Posted by: Scott | Dec 24, 2008 2:40:03 PM

6. Somehow link didn't show up. Hopefully here:

Posted by: Scott | Dec 24, 2008 2:41:29 PM

7. God, I love that cornfed look.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 24, 2008 3:21:58 PM

8. cody... how i've missed you.... *sigh*

Posted by: eric | Dec 24, 2008 5:00:05 PM

9. Isn't Cody the Cody from Bravo's Top Dancer or Real Dancers or Project Dancer?

Posted by: Jack | Dec 24, 2008 6:12:52 PM

10. "West Side Story" was first produced in 1957. The book, lyrics, music, and choreography/direction were all products of gay men, two of whom (Laurents and Sondheim) are still alive. It's an incredible piece, but there is an unfortunate homophobic (self-loathing?) line uttered by one of the Jets in the dance at the gym scene. I hope Laurents -- who wrote the line -- changes it. It certainly clashes with the point of the show.

Posted by: Brent | Dec 24, 2008 6:56:21 PM

11. PS: The book for "Pippin," first produced in 1971 or 1972, has far worse homophobia, relative to treatment of the character Lewis.

Posted by: Brent | Dec 24, 2008 7:00:10 PM

12. I love Matt Cavenaugh..i would have loved to see Matthew Morrison as Tony tho

still cant wait to see it

Posted by: daveynyc | Dec 24, 2008 8:16:54 PM

13. Jesus. Talk about a minstrel show in Gay Face. Can you guys possibly calm yourselves down about musical theatre?

Posted by: Mark | Dec 24, 2008 11:29:04 PM

14. It is nice to see Matt come into his own. He was a student at the high school in Arkansas where I started my IT support career back in the early '90s. I got to see him in Blood Brothers when he first started his NYC career. Way to go Matt!

Posted by: obmitar | Dec 25, 2008 2:19:00 AM

15. Not exactly period haircuts on Riff and Bernardo ...

Posted by: Movie_Dearest | Dec 25, 2008 6:30:47 AM

16. He's adorable, but for me there is always be
    Original Cast (1957)

Tony: Larry Kert
    Maria: Carol Lawrence
    Anita: Chita Rivera
    Bernardo: Ken LeRoy
    Riff: Mickey Calin

Posted by: Bob West | Dec 25, 2008 8:03:11 AM

17. The mark of a high school or college production is contemporary haircuts for a play not set in contemporary times. It's as careless (or at least cheap) as movies that have foreigners and space aliens conveniently, but miraculously, able to speak English.

Let's hope they will go for some authenticity on Broadway.

Posted by: Brent | Dec 25, 2008 1:48:58 PM

18. I saw WSS in D.C. last Monday. Although the Spanish version of "I Feel Pretty" was performed beautifully by Josefina Scaglione, I think people are going to be disappointed. "I Feel Pretty" is a classic and much beloved song. However, Karen Olivo as Anita is FANTASTIC and I hope she wins a Tony for her performance. She really steals the show!!!

Posted by: Steve | Dec 25, 2008 7:53:27 PM

19. Does anyone know if Matt Cavenaugh is family?

Posted by: Dan | Dec 26, 2008 9:30:12 AM

20. DAN, matt caevenaugh is impossibly cute. i hope he's one of us.

Posted by: nic | Dec 26, 2008 10:07:23 AM

21. I attended the 12/27 show. Matt injured himself making his entry within the forst 10 minutes of the show. He tripped on scenery, fell face-down, stage managers rushed to him and the curtain came down. The PA announcer asked for a physician to report backstage. The audience was kept in the lurch for 45 minutes until the PA came back on telling us that Matt was on his way to hospital and would be replaced by understudy. That is all I know.

Posted by: TCDC | Dec 27, 2008 12:17:47 AM

22. Matt's straight. He took it all off at Broadway Bares one year. His girlfriend didn't let him stray very far that night.

Posted by: Ron | Dec 29, 2008 10:08:27 AM

23. Last year it was Harry Potter's peen. This year it'll be pics of Matt's B-U-Ti-ful chest, which he wonderfully displays in WSS, that'll have Towleroad readers drooling w anticipation. That said, the production is a bit disappointing despite the wonderful female leads. The breakout star of the production will be twinkilicious dancer Ryan Steele. Power- Bottom oozes from his pores.

Posted by: mike shackleford | Jan 11, 2009 6:34:31 AM